Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 11:35 AM

133 posts, read 627,099 times

Advertisements

I posted this under the House forum but then it occurred to me that this information may help someone here.

PSNC Energy has discovered that the meter they installed at our home in December of 2007 was not done properly and was not correctly reading our usage. They are back billing us for 12 months to recover the extra usage they say we had. We received regular gas bills and had no idea anything was wrong, it isn’t like our bill dropped $100 overnight, everything seemed normal.

I see on the NC Utilities Commission website that they are allowed to back bill us 12 months EVEN THOUGH THIS WAS NOT OUR FAULT.

Had we been receiving bills for the correct amount, we could have adjusted our usage. Now our hands are tied and we are stuck with a large bill.

If anyone knows anything we can do, I'd certainly appreciate the advice. Otherwise, make PSNC come out and manually read your meter on a regular basis because apparently it is still YOUR responsibility if they do it wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 11:42 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,944,947 times
I know it's frustrating, but being asked to pay for what you actually used doesn't seem unreasonable.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:48 AM

It is unreasonable to ask me to do this 12 months after the fact when I can no longer adjust my usage to reduce my bill. While we have no control over whether the equipment is installed correctly or working properly, we do have control over how we set our thermostat and adjust it to maintain our budget. It is a fair assumption on my part that PSNC is properly installing and maintaining their own equipment.

12 months is excessive, 1 or 2 months I completely understand.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:56 AM

621 posts, read 2,219,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I know it's frustrating, but being asked to pay for what you actually used doesn't seem unreasonable.
I can see where the OP is coming from... It's similar (not exactly) to someone selling you a service without offering up-front pricing, then slapping you with a huge bill.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:57 AM

6,454 posts, read 9,818,906 times
I would think a payment plan would be appropriate. You did use it so you should pay for it, but I would make them take it in 12 payments, then you are only adding some to each bill instead of getting smacked with it at once.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:02 PM

932 posts, read 3,098,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I would think a payment plan would be appropriate. You did use it so you should pay for it, but I would make them take it in 12 payments, then you are only adding some to each bill instead of getting smacked with it at once.
I agree. Try to work out a payment plan with them. Talk to a supervisor if you have to.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:25 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,994,730 times
How much $$$ are we talking about here??

You need to look at this with the glass half full - You had the faulty meter for 2 years but they are only billing you for 1 year - so you still come out ahead!

Old 10-29-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnerMama View Post
I agree. Try to work out a payment plan with them. Talk to a supervisor if you have to.
Great idea, I will request this. I agree that we should pay for our usage I'm just really steamed that we are in a situation where we can't adjust our usage to adjust our bill. Normally we would just knock the thermostat back a few degrees and not use the gas logs.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGISLAND2NC View Post
How much $$$ are we talking about here??

You need to look at this with the glass half full - You had the faulty meter for 2 years but they are only billing you for 1 year - so you still come out ahead!
They installed the meter incorrectly in 12/07 and I am being back billed for 10/15/08-10/15/09 so while I see your point that I got extra gas (hard to say with a straight face) for 10 months I'd rather know each month how much I'm using and how much I owe. I don't think that is too much to ask of a utility company.

I can't imagine screwing something up at work and contacting a customer to tell them that I screwed up and just figured out my mistake so they have to pay me more for all that stuff they thought they already paid for. I would probably lose that customer. But, PSNC won't lose me because I have nowhere else to go and they know that.

But, I do get your point.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:23 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,582,663 times
I understand your pain but welcome to the country of Big Business! The little man is nobody. Take a different example of little man vs. big business: A consumer has 60 days to inform a bank of a mistake on their part where you are owed money. Reverse the situation so where the bank makes the mistake and deposits too much money in your account so now you owe them money. Guess how long the bank has to reclaim their money?!?!? FOREVER!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary