Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2012, 07:56 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Sure it could - 'specially with all these Yankee drivers that have moved in. You know how they are. They'll plow into someone just to prove it was "their turn."
Exactly.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:54 PM

3 posts, read 4,368 times
I was here during Hurricane Fran when traffic lights were out for days. It was the most wonderful driving I've ever experienced. You stopped, looked, then went whenever you felt like it. Of course some people felt they were too important to stop at all, in which case having an older car was extremely beneficial in winning a game of chicken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
In today's "me first" society, 4 way stops are a headache. My favorite are the ones who freight train it when the first car in their line goes....and then 4 or 5 cars behind them all go like it's a green light! I see it all the time at Honeycutt and Durant!
I always pull within a hairs breadth of their door. I can tell by the shocked look on their face as they swerve to miss me that they either suddenly remembered the rules or they're going straight home to look them up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 01:41 PM

21 posts, read 34,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
"
It is definitely not illegal to do- but it is driving without courtesy AND typically causes the traffic flow to slow because you've got numbnuts trying to fly by the packed line and force-merge themselves into the left.

I drive that route every day and it is a poorly designed merge. The worst is attempting to make it across 5 lanes in about .2 of a mile if you need to take the Davis Drive exit on 40.

When I have rode the merge lane until it is about to end and safely merged left, typically there is no one ahead of me causing a delay. The issue is as you stated, the attempt of making it across 4to 5 lanes. It is a bottleneck. People do not accelerate to speed and then get over which would make getting over A LOT easier. In their defense, a lot of times you can't get over because once merged onto 40 East traffic is backed up from all the traffic exiting on to 540.

Dumping traffic into the fast lane of a major interstate is not the most efficient way to move people on roads.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:05 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleighman View Post
Thanks for stereotyping.
That was tongue in cheek, based on a lot of prior chatter in this forum. Inside humor, I guess.

And I are one (a Yankee) anyway.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:20 PM

171 posts, read 448,050 times
Default Roundabouts are NOT stop signs

Why do so many people insist on treating roundabouts like stop signs? Might as well go back to 4-way stop signed intersections.

Here's a tip for anyone reading this who is guilty of unnecessarily stopping before entering a roundabout: As you approach the roundabout, if you can safely enter, DO SO. You do NOT need to stop, unless you cannot safely enter. The whole point of roundabouts is to enhance traffic flow. Stopping unnecessarily (i.e., when not stopping would not cause an accident) disrupts traffic flow. Let it flow, baby, let it flow.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:41 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,035,513 times
The fact that when they put in new roundabouts (the first ones ever) in Wake Forest the town sent a letter out about "how" to use roundabouts, I knew we were in trouble!

Yes, many people, 5 years later, still stop instead of simply enter! drives me nuts.

Leigh

Old 11-29-2012, 05:10 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,156,454 times
Can we also send this memo out to people who insist on stopping at the free flowing right turn on Evans and Aviation?

Old 11-29-2012, 05:29 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
People just love to stop down here for no reason at all. It is beyond frustrating.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:30 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
That's what you get for living some place where nobody's in no hurry to do nothin'

Old 11-29-2012, 05:37 AM

515 posts, read 1,716,947 times
This may get me flamed big time but to add to unnecessary stopping, why is it when you are going down the road and an ambulance is coming the OPPOSITE direction, people feel the need to stop in the middle of the road. Do you really think the ambulance is going to drive right at you?? What is the purpose, it is going the other way folks!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary