Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 03:11 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,614,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
They only do it for Thanksgiving maybe Christmas. My first impression I was going to get a leg thigh kinda thing but you get the whole bird you can call your local store and see if they got one to hold til you pick it up if you got time or when you get back call and see if they got any left.
It spoil me I didnt run into to dry issues just cook for an hour and its ready
Thank you! I'm going to check it out. It's spoiled me too, I had it once this summer and it was the greatest turkey I've ever had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 03:14 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,219,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
"Stuffing" outside the bird is properly called "dressing"
I'm glad you were corrected on this.

"Dressing" is OK, but on Thanksgiving no thx, I want stuffing. Nice, fluffy, mounds of it w/tons of gravy on top.

I prefer totally traditional food around any given holiday. I don't even like ham on Thanksgiving; IMO that's just odd, that's for Christmas for crying out loud.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:59 PM

214 posts, read 1,003,086 times
I have been dreaming of fried turkey all week! lol My brother has his turkey fryer all cleaned up and ready to go, we fry a turkey or two every year along with the other usual suspects, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, dressing, cranberry relish, green beans (not the casserole!), sometimes brussel sprouts, and giblet gravy! It's just not thanksgiving without the giblet gravy

Can't wait!

Old 11-24-2009, 04:05 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,125,058 times
Roasted turkey, cornbread/sausage stuffing, giblet gravy, crescent rolls, roasted asparagus (since I despise green beans), mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, broccoli casserole, cranberry sauce from a CAN!!!
lastly....pecan pie with fresh NC pecans and pumpkin pie.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:13 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,107,301 times
The Menu

- Turkey (traditionally cooked in oven, assuming it will thaw out in time)
- Dressing (outside, but growing up we called it "dressing," and I'm from the North, but then it seemed like the terms dressing and stuffing as an adult were interchangeable.)
- Fresh green beans (going to steam them and then mix with lots of carmelized onions)
- Red potatoes (boiled, then smashed and mixed with a container of sour cream and chopped green onions)
- Sweet potato casserole (includes milk and eggs; pecans on top; no marshmallows)
- Cranberry salad (chopped fresh cranberries mixed with 1 cup sugar, then all mixed with raspberry Jello, red grapes, apples, and walnuts -- with more of the chopped ingredients than Jello. The Jello just keeps it all together.)
- Biscuits - Pop'n Fresh
- Gluten-free biscuits (yucky, but what can you do)
- Relish tray (black olives and sweet pickles)
- Homemade gravy (with gluten-free flour) and regular jar gravy just in case we need it
- Pumpkin pie
- Raspberry/blackberry pie

So the big difference in the "Southern" Thanksgiving versus Northern is that we'll have biscuits instead of dinner rolls, and we'll absolutely positively have sweet potato casserole, and up North, it was highly optional.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:32 PM

2,219 posts, read 2,945,660 times
Usually we always do a ham with the turkey but we are doing a BIG turkey this year so decided on nixing the ham from the menu this year and I will do a slow cooked pulled pork dish the next day.

The typical menu.....
Shrimp cocktail appetizer
Deep fried turkey
Mashed potatoes
Stuffing balls with green apple, cranberries, onion and celery
Succotash
Broccoli casserole
Green bean casserole
Asparagus (just sauteed/steamed with butter and garlic)
Macaroni and cheese (1st time adding to Thanksgiving menu)
Rolls
Cranberry (out of the can and LOVE it)
Gravy
Sweet potato pie
Cranberry jello with sliced red grapes

My mother in law will also bring some collard greens along with her delicious sweet potato pies!! However I don't eat the collards

Old 11-24-2009, 05:49 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,041,744 times
We have about 10 adults and 4 kids, and our typical menu is:

Turkey (we cook it on the convection grill)
Ham
Sweet Potatoes (all whipped up with melted marshmellows on top)
Mashed Potatoes
Dressing
Roasted vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potato, butternut squash)
Cranberries (cooked, with sugar, a little orange)
Big Salad (usually with spinach, red onion and mandarin oranges)
Bread (not rolls usually)
Another casserole of some sort

Dessert:

Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin Cheesecake
Chocolate Chess Pie

Cookies shaped and decorated like autumn corn for the kids

Old 11-24-2009, 06:25 PM

64 posts, read 173,813 times
@lovebrentwood - It's my first Thanksgiving gluten free and I've been in mourning over the loss of certain food items. Thanks for posting your menu and the details! I might have some last minute additions to our table!

Old 11-24-2009, 06:49 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,944,452 times
Turkey, dressing, cranberry sauce, collards, turnips, baked sweet potatoes or candied yams, lima beans, shoepeg corn, rolls and cornbread, pecan and pumpkin pie, and a long walk

Old 11-24-2009, 06:56 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,037,029 times
I dont see how people eat giblet gravy...after finding out what it was made out of/what it is, I was sooo glad Id never eaten it..

The usual Thanksgiving food will be present I imagine. I dont cook, so Im not too picky...

You just wont find me eating anything "giblet".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary