Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 06:50 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,100,766 times

Advertisements

Tonight's national news said North Dakota is booming and has plenty of jobs of many different types.

Given the current economy in the Triangle, has anyone considered moving to there to the cold North?

Do you know anyone who has? If so, how did it work out for them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 07:02 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,037,959 times
Someone from my mom's group moved there. Her hubby got a job and she is working on getting one at the university. Seems to have worked out well for them.

Ironically, that is where my Mom grew up (my Dad was in winnipeg, manitoba, just above ND), my parents met at the university of north dakota. We moved to NC from there in 1973..........my early years pictures are of snow suits, and huge snow drifts.

My dad was never cold when we moved here, I don't think he owned a heavy coat ever. I could never move because of the cold!!!

Leigh

Old 12-05-2009, 07:14 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,624,666 times
After 25+ years in the warm South.. no way!

Old 12-06-2009, 03:52 AM

117 posts, read 263,830 times
I tried Fairbanks, AK for a couple of years. The cold really wasn't that bad as there wasn't any wind and it was dry cold. The darkness was not good, nor was the absence of color for months on end. The lack of running water didn't help either otherwise it was a good adventure!

Old 12-06-2009, 04:15 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,427,763 times
My sister went to the University of ND, Fargo. I remember her telling us how everyone has to plug in the car engines (block heater) overnight to prevent them from freezing. Also recall her stories of entire highways completely shutdown for days because of ice storms. OTOH, she said it was beautiful in the summer. In reality, we often have to make moves to survive....if there's a job opportunity, I'd say go for it....

Old 12-06-2009, 05:13 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,659,209 times
Not for all the money in the world! I hate living in a cold climate. And I hate living in rural places even more! My aunt lives in Alaska and I've been there several times. Most of the time I went in July. I went there once in November. And that scared me enough from ever visiting in the dead of winter. It's so cold and dark!

Old 12-06-2009, 08:42 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,116,132 times
he$$ NO. Too cold!

Old 12-06-2009, 08:55 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,160,322 times
no. god no. no.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:22 AM

92 posts, read 103,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Tonight's national news said North Dakota is booming and has plenty of jobs of many different types.

Given the current economy in the Triangle, has anyone considered moving to there to the cold North?

Do you know anyone who has? If so, how did it work out for them?

the way i look at it is we are well below the national average in unemployment. there are places with even lower unemployment than us, but i think we need to look at what their industry is. some places have lower unemployment due to multiple factors that do not lend themselves to long term employment opportunities.

all in all, i think we are in a very good position here when it comes to growing employment opportunities in the coming years. the biggest concern i have when it comes to employment here is can we provide enough employment for the ever increasing population?

plus it's cold there man. no way.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:54 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,836,713 times
Besides horrendously cold winters, I understand that the Northern Plains ALSO get brutally HOT summers; that really would suck!

If you're moving somewhere for climate alone, I think it's California all the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary