Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 07:56 PM
jgb jgb started this thread

480 posts, read 1,344,995 times

Advertisements

I have a pair of "vintage" his and her Schwinn bikes. They are about 20 years old. My dad bought them for him and me when I was a kid. Mine got a lot more use then his. Their tires are shot and I think mine has a little rust but otherwise I believe them to be in good shape -- I could be wrong.

They are taking up room in the shed so I need to decide if I am going to get rid of them, or get them functioning again. I hope I can make them usable as it would be great to use them. I don't have any idea of what it might cost to repair them and get the new tires.

I would like to find a bike shop where someone won't look at me like I am crazy for wanting to fix these things rather than buy new bikes. But, it's not a "fix at any cost" type things either -- I have limits as to what I can spend.

If anyone can suggest a shop to try to help me figure out what to do with them I would appreciate it. I am in Cary but will travel to the right shop.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 08:23 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,341,290 times
I took my 1980's beach cruiser to Cycling Spoken Here in Cary (on Maynard across from Atlantic Tire by the High House Road intersection). I also did the fix vs. get rid of it comparison, and they were very helpful. Lots of personalized attention. Here's their info: Contact Us - Trek & Gary Fisher Bicycles

Old 01-01-2010, 08:28 PM

That is great to know, thanks! It's super-close to me. I will give them a call next week.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:13 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,151,858 times
If that does not work out try Back Alley Cycles in Chapel Hill before you give up. Very small shop with very low overhead, and one of the best mechanics around.

home

If any shop gives you "that look", turn around and leave. There are many shops in the area that will be excited for you for having the biking bug. Some may or may not be able to do the work in your budget, but if they are not helpful, then leave.

Another option is to buy the book Zinn and the art of Bicycle Maintenance, and then go visit Performance Bikes (next to the TJ Maxx, near Cary Town Center). If you are mechanically inclined, you can do the work yourself, save money, and learn about your bike. Changing tires and tuning the brakes and gears is not too tough.

(FWIW, I brought home my 1979 Schwinn Traveller this summer, fixed it up, and I'm riding it some. I have several more expensive bikes, but these are really nice, and worth keeping and riding. GO FOR IT!!!!

Old 01-02-2010, 06:48 AM

542 posts, read 1,525,626 times
I just had work completed on an older Trek at Flythe Cyclery and the work was great and the prices were very reasonable.

Home - flythecyclery.com

Mike

Old 01-02-2010, 07:42 PM

Thank you, both for these helpful replies.

I agree fixing them up would be a nice project -- lack of time is an issue but if the cost of repair is super high it is something to keep in mind -- keep the bikes and maybe do that in the future.

It would be cool to have them going again. Very classic maroon pair. Mine even has a mini South of the Border sticker on it -- not sure how that's going to come off . .

Old 01-03-2010, 09:04 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,498,450 times
Bicycle Chain has several local locations as well that can probably take care of it for you.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:34 PM

Wow -- lots of cycling enthusiasts here -- thanks guys (and gals)!

Old 01-06-2010, 06:09 AM

69 posts, read 172,806 times
I have a vintage Raleigh Tri-Lite. Most people have no idea what it is but James at Performance Bike in Cary helped me with putting it together (no complaints about putting a carbon fork on a vintage bike either, most purists would hate me for that) from the frame I bought, a parts bike, and a couple other things I bought. He really likes the old Schwinns so if you bring one in and it needs a couple new parts chances are he might already have them.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:58 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,723,649 times
We love Gary Smith with TLC for Bikes. His shop is located in Bedford and we wouldn't take our bikes anywhere else as he knows what he is doing and he is very affordable.

919.324-4966
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary