Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 08:52 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,086,255 times

Advertisements

Many of my friends scattered throughout this great country have mentioned hearing about the incredible growth of Wake Forest, NC. Surprisingly my little town seems to be on the tip of many people’s tongues ranging from places like La Jolla California to Taunton, Massachusetts. “Why is Wake Forest growing so dog gone fast”, many of them ask and my response is generally the same. It’s because of the Interstate 540, perceived local wealth and attractiveness to retirees.

Allow me preface this by saying that many people want to move to Raleigh North Carolina in the first place and for various reasons outside the context of this post. Wake Forest shines and is growing exponentially, however, because it’s more moderately priced when compared to places like Cary or Morrisville yet thanks to the I-540 offers easy access to the Research Triangle Park. I guess you can say that Wake Forest is growing at the expense of places like Holly Springs that don’t yet have the 540 running to them.

Also, I suspect that Wake Forest benefits by association with the perceived affluence of the area known as North Raleigh when being considered by those relocating here from distant locales. Yes if North Raleigh is nice then Wake Forest, which is even further north, must be nicer still. At least that's what many people seem to think.

Another factor is that Wake Forest for a multitude of reasons is attractive to Baby Boomer retirees and their migration seems largely undeterred by the current economic situation. Many dime-store economists theorize that this is true because they’ve owned their homes so long that they can still sell houses even in this market and free up substantial equity which is a luxury that many younger homeowners who’d like to relocate to Raleigh don’t have.

I may be completely off base as to why WF is still a boom town even in the middle of the “Great Recession” but I suspect that I’m not too far off the mark in my observations. What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 09:34 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
If you've ever been to Wake Forest, you'd see that the town has a very friendly appeal. As North Raleigh became more expensive, folks pushed out towards Wake Forest, as the prices had not gone up quite so fast. ABout 8 years ago, Wake Forest looked much like Holly Springs does, today. It reminds me of Cary (about 25 years ago).

Wake Forest still has a small town feel. The town still has a 4th of July parade, it's own fireworks and just lots of friendly community type FUN!

Heritage has also helped make the town grow.

Vicki

Old 02-15-2010, 10:25 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
What do you all think?
I think you need to learn to stop saying "the I-540".

Old 02-15-2010, 01:33 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Whatever the reasons, it's very sad that Wake Forest may boom more than it is now. Everything that makes it "charming" will be long gone.

The unknowing, spurred by some reporter's story, will arrive, anxiously searching for Mayberry, and then once settled, they'll complain about the traffic, people and congestion, all of which would exist only because of all the other unknowing who arrived because they were spurred by some reporter's story.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:42 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Whatever the reasons, it's very sad that Wake Forest may boom more than it is now. Everything that makes it "charming" will be long gone.
The unknowing, spurred by some reporter's story, will arrive, anxiously searching for Mayberry, and then once settled, they'll complain about the traffic, people and congestion, all of which would exist only because of all the other unknowing who arrived because they were spurred by some reporter's story.
I'm laughing but I somewhat agree! Those complainers!

I remember Wake Forest 6 years ago. Lots and lots of trailers! Yes, it was home to some but now it is home to more. Change is tough. If only we could only change for the better.

The small town that I grew up in doesn't change. It doesn't grow. So, it becomes stagnant and starts to go downhill. People move. Stores close. Property values decline.

Is there a happy medium?

Vicki

Old 02-15-2010, 02:25 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times
Why Wake Forest. Here is a personal perspective aka MPP (My Personal Perspective). When we moved to the area almost 6 years ago now it could of been anywhere. Worked...well continue to work in RTP with exception to current assignment in upstate NY but will be back! Gives greater appreciation to life out of NY State for sure! Any who why Wake Forest?

Looked in many places from Garner to North Raleigh to Apex and Holly Springs and points in between. Even Zebulon so that was as low into the alphabet we could go... Never did look into Durham as most people back then and some realtors actually said to stay away from Durham, so we did. They also said Cary was over crowed and to taxed. So Cary was out. But since living in the area we seen many really nice communities in Durham and Cary. So at this point in our case not looking at those communities was simply to bad, so sad!

But back to Wake Forest. Coming from a smaller upstate NY town Wake Forest seemed to be the closest fit to what we were accustomed to. It was smaller and less expensive than North Raleigh and a few point south. It was comparable to Apex and Holly Springs. Both of those towns and Garner just seemed like forever to get to and from RTP at the times I drove them when we were looking.

Also, coming from the north it seemed like anywhere in the 'northern' section of the triangle seemed like a good fit. It was quick access to Rt 1N to 85N to 95N and a few quick lane changes a pit stop or two and waaalaaa back in NY! So maybe subconsciously that had something to do with it.

But we are extremely happy we chose Wake Forest and watched it grow. Still lacks some of the better restaurants and shopping variety but that's fine. Still could use better access routes to I540 as Falls 'bumper-2-bumper' Neuse and Capital 'get your bumper out of my trunk' Boulevard during rush hour is a hassle. But if you can adjust your start times and go home times its not bad at all.

Truly loved Heritage and almost inked the deal for a new home there and after a night to sleep on it said no. Wanted to build a home in a smaller community with more land and we did. But that did not work out. Home was fantastic but the upkeep was to much for our busy schedule. So sold it and bought closer to Wake Forest proper with more land but mostly all wooded. I call it a slice of heaven on earth. Its peaceful with an abundance of deer and critter that come for a visit. Its close to Falls Lake for boating and getting the fishing lines wet. Notice I did not say catching fish jsut wetting the lines. Its close to bike paths and walking paths to unwind from a stressful day to a relaxing evening. A stroll in the neighborhood near sunset with our best friend leading the way is about as good as it gets IMHO! Maybe a stroll over the Falls Dams at sunset is right up there too!

So Wake Forest for use fit liked Cinderella's shoe. And until midnight hits and we turn into Pumpkins or something or another Wake Forest is just as good as southern fried chicken!

Old 02-16-2010, 06:49 AM

Default The people have spoken

Yes Wake Forest has grown at an amazing pace but I don’t believe the town has suffered as a result. I find WF just as, if not more, charming as when I moved here almost six years ago. I know many locals tend to see growth as a negative but you have to remember that Wake Forest is still relatively tiny when compared to the places that a lot of us have come from.

I believe the real questions still remains as to why people are picking Wake Forest above all the other places around Raleigh to move to. I know what attracted me to it and I just wanted to see if I was of the same mind set as the others.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:18 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Yes Wake Forest has grown at an amazing pace but I don’t believe the town has suffered as a result. I find WF just as, if not more, charming as when I moved here almost six years ago. I know many locals tend to see growth as a negative but you have to remember that Wake Forest is still relatively tiny when compared to the places that a lot of us have come from.

I believe the real questions still remains as to why people are picking Wake Forest above all the other places around Raleigh to move to. I know what attracted me to it and I just wanted to see if I was of the same mind set as the others.
What makes you think they are? Do you have any stats or is this just a hunch?

Old 02-16-2010, 07:40 AM

Default The truth, the whole truth and nothing but…

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
What makes you think they are? Do you have any stats or is this just a hunch?
Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you shall find; knock and it will be opened unto you. (http://news14.com/triangle-news-30-content/top_stories/620471/wake-forest-among-fastest-growing-u-s--communities - broken link)

^ Or you can simply click on the link for evidence of my claim.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:53 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times
No stats there either? I wonder what criteria they are using. Found this info on City-Data:
BUILDING PERMITS
WAKE FOREST
2004: 858 buildings
2005: 1000 buildings
2006: 875 buildings
2007: 705 buildings
2008: 211 buildings

HOLLY SPRINGS
2004: 564 buildings
2005: 787 buildings
2006: 796 buildings
2007: 448 buildings
2008: 301 buildings

FUQUAY VARINA
2004: 468 buildings
2005: 575 buildings
2006: 612 buildings
2007: 717 buildings
2008: 343 buildings

CARY
2004: 783 buildings
2005: 1456 buildings
2006: 1982 buildings
2007: 2326 buildings
2008: 1313 buildings

This seems to directly contradict the claim you are making. Of these 4 growth towns, Wake Forest had the most new construction in 2004, but in 2008 it had the least. Cary outpacing Wake Forest at a rate of 6 to 1.

Of course, stats don't tell the whole story, I'm just curious as to where this Wake Forest claim originates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary