Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 09:00 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,051,771 times

Advertisements

I have lived in wake forest for 5 years, and grew up here in the triangle. When I lived in Chapel Hill (as Vicki accurately stated) Cary was simply trees and a couple of houses!

Anyhow, we moved from Cary to Wake Forest, essentially for a better (along mileage wise longer) commute to RTP. I ended up falling in love with the place. I like that it had a small down feel, a usable downtown area, great community activities, etc. I felt when I lived in cary that cary was so big I would never run into people or see the same people at stores, etc. Maybe I would have if I lived in a different part of cary, but for me it never happened.

In wake forest, you can, if you like, get to know the shop owners in downtown, the people who own/run the restaurants, etc. Yes, do I wish there were a bit more variety in food choices, but overall I could not be happier.

I also like the fact that where I live (on the west side of town) building is restricted to large lots because we are in the county and all on well and septic. I don't worry about the area becoming overcrowded.

Leigh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 09:11 AM

757 posts, read 2,087,745 times
We moved to Wake Forest from Apex just because the only house we found at the time was in Wake Forest. I can compare the two. I like downtown Wake Forest better than downtown Apex. Downtown Wake Forest has an older, historic feel with more shops and historic homes. Also more activites and the farmers market in downtown is much better.

I like the greenway system in Wake Forest better than Apex. Mainly because the neuse tributaries run along the Wake Forest one, so it's more scenic.

We could buy a newer home for less money in Wake Forest than Apex.

The restaurant selection in Wake Forest is better than Apex in my opinion.

The traffic I feel is the same, but it does seem that you have easier access to Raleigh from Apex rather than Wake Forest.

I do miss ulta and TJ Maxx which are not in Wake Forest. You do have to drive 15 min away to major shops like that (which is fine)...I'm just used to them being only 5 min away. The grocery store is way closer to me in Wake Forest than Apex, so that makes up for it.

Wake Forest is more spread out than Apex. You could live in another part of Wake Forest and it could take a completely different time to get somewhere than me.

The parks and recreation are better here than in Apex. We have several new parks with walking trails, a dog park, and the falls of the neuse right here. Apex has Jordan Lake, but the trails are not as extensive and you have to pay in the summer to visit Jordan Lake.

No planes or trains here compared to Apex and morrisville.

My husband thinks there are more alternative ways for him to get to work from Wake Forest to Downtown Raleigh than Apex...he chooses the route based on traffic...on average it takes him exactly 30 min to get to and from work. In apex, there was one main route. It took him 20 min from Apex.

Overall we like Wake Forest better than Apex.
If I could change one thing it would be for some major shops to be only 5 min away rather than having to go to Triangle Town Center area.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:39 AM

12,638 posts, read 32,158,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson185 View Post
We moved to Wake Forest from Apex just because the only house we found at the time was in Wake Forest. I can compare the two. I like downtown Wake Forest better than downtown Apex. Downtown Wake Forest has an older, historic feel with more shops and historic homes. Also more activites and the farmers market in downtown is much better.
I like the greenway system in Wake Forest better than Apex. Mainly because the neuse tributaries run along the Wake Forest one, so it's more scenic.
We could buy a newer home for less money in Wake Forest than Apex.
The restaurant selection in Wake Forest is better than Apex in my opinion.
The traffic I feel is the same, but it does seem that you have easier access to Raleigh from Apex rather than Wake Forest.
I do miss ulta and TJ Maxx which are not in Wake Forest. You do have to drive 15 min away to major shops like that (which is fine)...I'm just used to them being only 5 min away. The grocery store is way closer to me in Wake Forest than Apex, so that makes up for it.
Wake Forest is more spread out than Apex. You could live in another part of Wake Forest and it could take a completely different time to get somewhere than me.
The parks and recreation are better here than in Apex. We have several new parks with walking trails, a dog park, and the falls of the neuse right here. Apex has Jordan Lake, but the trails are not as extensive and you have to pay in the summer to visit Jordan Lake.
No planes or trains here compared to Apex and morrisville.
My husband thinks there are more alternative ways for him to get to work from Wake Forest to Downtown Raleigh than Apex...he chooses the route based on traffic...on average it takes him exactly 30 min to get to and from work. In apex, there was one main route. It took him 20 min from Apex.
Overall we like Wake Forest better than Apex.
If I could change one thing it would be for some major shops to be only 5 min away rather than having to go to Triangle Town Center area.

I think with time, some of the major shops like TJ Maxx will be in Wake Forest soon. What does anyone else think?

As for why to Wake Forest? I don't live there yet. I hope to move there in the near future. The reason I chose Wake Forest is for several reasons. 1) I like it's proximity. Close to N. Raleigh, but far enough out there to feel away from the city. 2) It has all the basic stores and restaurants that you need. (if not, N. Raleigh is close-by) 3) It has nice parks including a dog park and a town pool. 4) It has a small downtown area with a couple shops and places to eat. 5) The town has a small town feel and puts it's own events on.

To me, Wake Forest still gives you a country feel with the conveniences of the suburbs that are necessary. We checked out Fuquay, Holly Springs, Apex, Cary, N. Raleigh and Wake Forest. Wake Forest just happened to be number one on our list.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:00 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,261,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I think with time, some of the major shops like TJ Maxx will be in Wake Forest soon. What does anyone else think?
As for why to Wake Forest? I don't live there yet. I hope to move there in the near future. The reason I chose Wake Forest is for several reasons. 1) I like it's proximity. Close to N. Raleigh, but far enough out there to feel away from the city. 2) It has all the basic stores and restaurants that you need. (if not, N. Raleigh is close-by) 3) It has nice parks including a dog park and a town pool. 4) It has a small downtown area with a couple shops and places to eat. 5) The town has a small town feel and puts it's own events on.
To me, Wake Forest still gives you a country feel with the conveniences of the suburbs that are necessary. We checked out Fuquay, Holly Springs, Apex, Cary, N. Raleigh and Wake Forest. Wake Forest just happened to be number one on our list.
I totally agree with your points. I too do not live there yet but spend most of my summers there. I absolutely love the place and would move NOW if work and employment wasn't an issue.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:47 PM

98 posts, read 132,242 times
There are a far number of people who prefer to live in a place with a small town feel and not in a congested/busy environment. For these people, Wake Forest is one of several area towns that is more attractive than the larger towns.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:21 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,354,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post

I think Wake Forest will get a TJ Maxx and a Penny's and a Marshall's and a Target and a Walmart and a.......ops back up two retail stores, it already has a Target and Walmart. But they are slowly building shopping plazas or strips or whatever they call them these days. I am not good with shopping center edicit. The Shops at Caveness will happen one day and they will need stores. The empty cleared grasslands where the Parker Hanifin factory use to be will one day need stores. And the Kohl's retail store trying to act as a plaza will need more stores too. They will also be getting more than an Olive Garden in that plaza too! Bread sticks anyone?

So IMHO if they build them they will come. The 'they' will be stores and shoppers for those stores as 'they' are mutually inclusive!

Now for my wish list...........a Bass Pro Shop or a Cabella's! With the proximity to Falls Lake, Lake Gaston, and Kerr Lake one of those sporting good stores would fit like a fish in a net! Or as they say in the hunting business, within the Target! But wait Wake Forest has a Target....there I go again confusing retail stores!

Old 02-18-2010, 09:05 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,855,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post

Of course, stats don't tell the whole story, I'm just curious as to where this Wake Forest claim originates.

There is the Town of Wake Forest, and then there are the many areas surrounding it that are not in the town but have Wake Forest addresses. That skews the numbers.

Before someone asks, the difference is that if you are in the town you get water, sewer, police, roads & zoning . If you are outside the town you are under Wake County's jurisdiction.

Oh yeah... you save half on parks & rec programs if you live in the town too!

Old 02-18-2010, 09:39 AM

1,036 posts, read 1,956,791 times
The thing that would have really made Wake Forest perfect (IMHO), would have been making Capital a limited-access freeway as they've been talking about for years. When we moved here ten years ago, there was very little traffic and it took maybe 20 minutes to get to Raleigh from where we live. Now it take take twice that long, even in the middle of the day. It's probably too late to make Capital an expressway now, since I'm sure the price of land has gone up. And, of course, municipalities everywhere are starved for revenue. Maybe it'll happen someday.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:19 AM

3,954 posts, read 5,106,496 times
Thumbs up Fact not Fiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Of course, stats don't tell the whole story, I'm just curious as to where this Wake Forest claim originates.
It appears that the Gadberry Group has gotten their information directly from the US Census Bureau.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadberry Website
Wake Forest, North Carolina

Wake Forest is located northeast of Raleigh and was recognized by Forbes magazine in 2007 as the 20th fastest growing suburb in the US. Wake Forest grew from 8,150 households in 2000 to 17,803 in 2009, or 118%. Wake Forest had 13 Emerging Blocks, the second highest in the group.

Along with Mansfield, Wake Forest saw an overall decrease in median age, dropping from 34.5 in 2000 to 34.1. Average household income for Wake Forest increased from $70,148 to $82,771.
Here's a link to the Gadberry Group's 9 Notable Places From 2009 data on which the News Channel 14 report is based. Just click #6 Wake Forest on the right hand side for the stats.

Also, don't forget to check out the "Common Questions" link to see how Gadberry derives their data.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:37 AM

3,050 posts, read 5,002,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
It appears that the Gadberry Group has gotten their information directly from the US Census Bureau.

Here's a link to the Gadberry Group's 9 Notable Places From 2009 data on which the News Channel 14 report is based. Just click #6 Wake Forest on the right hand side for the stats.

Also, don't forget to check out the "Common Questions" link to see how Gadberry derives their data.
OK...but you conveniently ignored the stats that I put in front of you.

Look, I love Wake Forest, it is my favorite town in Wake County, for all the reasons listed above. But I think you are making a huge leap to take this one article and conclude that "people are picking Wake Forest above all the other places around Raleigh to move to". It would be like people in Apex saying that their town is better just because Money Magazine has it listed on its Best Place To Live.

Do you really think that more people are moving into Wake Forest than Cary right now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary