Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 01:45 PM

108 posts, read 559,790 times

Advertisements

VoIP is very good if you already have a broadband internet connection. I have used Vonage for years with no problems. $24.99/month unlimited...plus we pay for a year at a time and get it for $19.99/month. They also used to have a $14.99 plan - for 500 minutes a month, not sure if they still do. You will need a cell phone if the power goes off...no power equals no Vonage. But just set your account up to forward to your cell number in case of a power outage and you do not miss any calls...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 07:08 PM

492 posts, read 2,108,664 times
I have a land line just to get DSL.

What are the (affordable) options for internet without a landline or without cable TV?

Actually, for better reception, I'd have the $12.95/month "basic" cable with TWC which they allegedly have, but I haven't found anyone there who is willing to sell it to me!

Old 06-08-2007, 04:28 AM

823 posts, read 3,923,939 times
I believe that is about the basic cable rate in Chapel Hill. I had the same experience in State College, PA. I knew the basic rate was about the same but the person I talked to at Comcast thought the cheapest was their standard package which was ~$40. I had to do some heavy talking to get the basic package. If you still have trouble I'd check your municipality for help since, I believe, they set the basic rate.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:25 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,607,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_61 View Post
I believe that is about the basic cable rate in Chapel Hill. I had the same experience in State College, PA.
Ahh. Good ol' State College. Haven't been back there in over 20 years. I'll bet I wouldn't recognize it.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:54 AM

823 posts, read 3,923,939 times
I think you would recognize a lot of the landmarks but notice much growth, too (thankfully, not as much as in the Triangle, though).

Old 03-01-2009, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kiddos4me View Post
Hi guys~

I'm wondering if anyone is using only cell phones, not having a land line in the home? How is it working? Do you find it more convenient or more of a hassle? I'm thinking of doing this when I get to Raliegh...in 3 LONG weeks! I'm looking for any advice, before I go ahead and get the family share plan. Trying to save $$$~

Thanks!
I'm a journalism student at UNC and I was wondering if you wouldn't mind doing an interview on this exact subject? It can be in person, by phone or email whichever you prefer. I would really appreciate your time. Thank You.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:19 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,834,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llam View Post
I'm a journalism student at UNC and I was wondering if you wouldn't mind doing an interview on this exact subject? It can be in person, by phone or email whichever you prefer. I would really appreciate your time. Thank You.
Note that the original post was made almost two years ago...

Old 03-01-2009, 01:23 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,177,681 times
we used to do this, but then had to get a land line when we moved out here because the reception in the apartment was horrid. we've since moved and are likely going to shut down the land line again. it just makes no sense for us to have one now, plus we keep having issues with it (TWC).

Mike

Old 03-01-2009, 01:33 PM

19 posts, read 52,827 times
Default Land Line Free

I gave up my land line a few months back, and my only regret so far is that I didn't do it sooner. Its reason for existence was to be my "office" line, but in reality, the cell is my work phone, and now there is only one place to check for messages - no matter where I am. Three quick points: the previous comments about reception are the most important consideration for your decision making, if you do use a family plan for multiple lines - its cheaper to buy too many minutes than to pay overages, and finally, there are some security/alarm monitoring firms that have an adaptor that allows the system to work off a cell if needed. Good Luck! Robert Grant.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:22 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,171,909 times
My son did this in PA and kept it here in North Raleigh.

He has no issues with having no landline. Cell reception is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary