Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 11:56 PM

39 posts, read 68,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkrn44 View Post
What area do you people live in that are having a hard time making friends?? I'm a 24 year old nurse and moving to Raleigh or Durham in September. I don't know a soul in NC so maybe we could be friends ??
That's around the same time frame that I expect to be moving there. I'm quite a bit older around 50 but sure would be nice just to have some nice company to discover with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 11:59 PM

39 posts, read 68,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NcerfromNY View Post
here are 10 ways:
1. volunteer
2. go to a place of worship
3. BUNCO!
4. museums
5. shopping
6. farmers mkt
7. go to parks that are near your home- walk! talk! strike up conversations with people who are doing things you like to do!
8. go online- like you are now - and find out about "meetups"
9. Go to local networking events - like triangle connected
10. smile more - people will want to befriend you - and will be the ones following this list - wanting to meet - YOU !
and the bonuses
11. Take classes! Dance class, cooking class - whatever interests you - you will probably find like minded people there!
12. go to demonstration days - like williams-sonoma cooking classes -they're free, they're informative, and you can meet people there too!

Always carry some sort of card with you to say - hey, I'm new to the area. You're cool and someone I'd like to have coffee with (or whatever that you're comfortable with that doesn't sound like you are trying to pick up anyone) ... it leaves a lasting impression!
Believe it or not, it's harder to meet people when you are married with kids and move to a new place. We moved here when my son was 7 months old - and I didn't know anyone or anything about the triangle. We don't have any family around. It took a really, really long time - but now I wouldn't trade this area for anything. Do you like to play golf? That's a great way to meet people!

Good luck, don't get discouraged! and HAVE FUN!
good post; you bring out some great ideas that we all sometimes forget.
Just be you and hopefully slightly outgoing along with that
A friendship can be started anywhere really

Old 05-10-2010, 07:41 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
If I tried to make friends at some the places listed in the post below, I'd feel like others may call Security or something.

Out of the list, I think the best ones are, for most people:
  • volunteer
  • church (if that's your thing)
  • local networking events
  • events through Meetup.com
  • classes
  • go online

Also:
  • neighborhood events (for example, our subdivision, Brentwood, is having a potluck supper this month, and it has an Exchange Club, neighborhood association, and garden club)

I'm not sure about meeting people at the Williams-Sonoma demos; I suppose it could happen.

NcerformNY is absolutely right, though, that you should strike up conversations wherever you can and be open to meeting others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NcerfromNY View Post
here are 10 ways:
1. volunteer
2. go to a place of worship
3. BUNCO!
4. museums
5. shopping
6. farmers mkt
7. go to parks that are near your home- walk! talk! strike up conversations with people who are doing things you like to do!
8. go online- like you are now - and find out about "meetups"
9. Go to local networking events - like triangle connected
10. smile more - people will want to befriend you - and will be the ones following this list - wanting to meet - YOU !
and the bonuses
11. Take classes! Dance class, cooking class - whatever interests you - you will probably find like minded people there!
12. go to demonstration days - like williams-sonoma cooking classes -they're free, they're informative, and you can meet people there too!

Always carry some sort of card with you to say - hey, I'm new to the area. You're cool and someone I'd like to have coffee with (or whatever that you're comfortable with that doesn't sound like you are trying to pick up anyone) ... it leaves a lasting impression!
Believe it or not, it's harder to meet people when you are married with kids and move to a new place. We moved here when my son was 7 months old - and I didn't know anyone or anything about the triangle. We don't have any family around. It took a really, really long time - but now I wouldn't trade this area for anything. Do you like to play golf? That's a great way to meet people!

Good luck, don't get discouraged! and HAVE FUN!

Old 05-10-2010, 10:39 AM

4 posts, read 4,922 times
I am also moving to the area within the next two months. This was one of my biggest concerns and i'm glad to be getting the advice! Anyone have advice on townhouse complexes that may have more of a younger crowd rather than older?

Old 05-10-2010, 10:44 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
There is also this in Raleigh: Home - Newcomers Club of Raleigh

Years ago, I believe it was underwritten by the city, but today it has a $25/year membership and anyone here fewer than five years is considered a newcomer.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 05-10-2010 at 11:01 AM..

Old 05-10-2010, 02:13 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
I haven't read all the responses to the OP but I will chime in with what has worked for me. It might sound corny but I have always found friends by being a friend. That is to say that it takes a certain amount of active energy to make friends. It doesn't happen spontaneously. Perhaps you can reach out to another newbie who might be feeling the same way you do? You can help the "next person" with your initial knowledge of the area and your sensitivity to how it feels to be the other person.
Smile. Say hi to neighbors. Do something kind for those around you. These have always been effective methods for me. Good luck!!!

Old 05-10-2010, 02:19 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Well, the expert on this topic should be "C____", whom many of us met Saturday at the C-D gathering.

This woman, who had never posted on City-Data nor even heard of it, did a web search on meeting people in Raleigh, was pointed to this very thread, and she showed up at LoneRider! How's that for taking initiative!

We all hope she will get a screen name and come along shortly--if we didn't scare her off, that is!

Old 05-10-2010, 02:58 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Well, the expert on this topic should be "C____", whom many of us met Saturday at the C-D gathering.

This woman, who had never posted on City-Data nor even heard of it, did a web search on meeting people in Raleigh, was pointed to this very thread, and she showed up at LoneRider! How's that for taking initiative!

We all hope she will get a screen name and come along shortly--if we didn't scare her off, that is!
U R SO Right!

Young Miss C___________ will be a real addition to the forum.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:52 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post

Yeah, I thought it was very cool how Ms. "C" came out on a whim like that. That is what you need to do IMO when you move to a new location where you don't know a soul going in. I think she picked a great group to take a chance on.

Heck, I made a few new friends myself at the meetup!

Old 08-02-2010, 06:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cicada View Post
Hi,

It seems like Raleigh has a reasonable amount of things to do, but it gets boring doing everything alone.

Thanks!

Yes, It's not a good feeling doing things alone all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary