Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 06:48 AM

57 posts, read 141,576 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Fl for 4 yrs now by way of Michigan and I am considering a relocation to Raleigh due to a job transfer. I remember my days in Michigan with ice and snow and I shutter at the thought of scraping my car off and driving in snow and ice again.

My question is, how bad is the snow there? I know this year you guys got more than normal so I assume next winter it will be similar or worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 07:04 AM

222 posts, read 546,047 times
Well, I lived in Florida most of my life, moved up to New England for several years, and just moved down here to NC this past July. Having gone through a rough winter here, I can say it does not compare to the winters up north. There was only one day I had to remove snow from my car and driveway, and I had to scrape ice a handful of times maybe. That was in a bad winter! In New England, I was scraping or removing snow more days than not for several months out of the year. As for driving in it, the whole place shuts down when there is snow coming. There was only one snowfall this year when the snow stuck on the roads beyond the first day. I did have to drive in it that one time. So, that's it. No need to be afraid if you've ever done it before!

Old 05-18-2010, 07:29 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,722,377 times
Nothing to be afraid of here...we only had 2-3 days of snow here this past winter..very mild.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:37 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,080,437 times
In the last 5 winters we've been here we've had about 2-3 events a winter. Typical is about 2" and it's usually gone in a day or two.

If you have lived in Michigan though, you will have no problem with the snow events here.

The ice is different but most areas shut down for those events...if you cannot live without the necessities for a few days, just make sure you get bread and milk, the shelves go bare. I didn't beleive it until I saw it with my own eyes!

They do not have the equipment to clear the roads here so expect delayed openings and/or days off when it does snow

Old 05-18-2010, 07:51 AM

57 posts, read 141,576 times
Thanks I feel so much better, it gets cold down here in Orlando in the winter like in the 20's sometimes. So I will have to get used to single digits again but its worth it from what I hear the area is really up and coming.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:04 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,924,856 times
We're from Miami and had similar concerns, but it's not a big deal. Hardly ever happens. Besides the sometimes intense July and August heat, the weather here is pretty fantastic, even in winter. Many winter days are bright and sunny, even though it's cold out, rather than dreary/cloudy. We have very few overcast, icy, or snowy days in general.

In the past few years, it seems as if the ice "line" has moved away from here and we either get snow or flurries or nothing at all rather than the hard ice we used to get more frequently many years back.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:11 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,081,580 times
Depending on your job, most employers here still cut their employees some slack on real snow/ice days. I would expect Michigan was a different story ..

A garage is helpful too as most ice scraping is due to overnight frost .

Frank

Old 05-18-2010, 08:19 AM

476 posts, read 1,677,446 times
Wink You'll need an ice scraper, but not for snow!

While we do get some snow it is nothing like up north or the midwest! The change of seasons is nice and winter not too harsh - this coming from someone who despises being cold.

You are likely to spend more time cleaning your car off during our infamous spring pollen EXPLOSIONS!

Old 05-18-2010, 08:24 AM

116 posts, read 366,954 times
I grew up in Northern Indiana. We had are share of snow. As everyone has said, the triangle does not get much snow and what it gets it is normally gone in a day or two.

But I want to add a word of caution. I never slid off the road in IN, but I have in NC. Since we get very little snow here, we do not have the equipment/manpower to clear (or salt) the roads. During the day the snow melts and the roads are just wet. But when night comes the water freezes and often turns into black ice.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:48 AM

98 posts, read 301,865 times
The ice storms bring more trouble usually. The power does go out most was a day or two-In general we are not prepared to handle too much winter weather so when it happens just be prepared. Late Jan into Feb is usually our bad months in my opinion!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary