Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 07:59 AM

23 posts, read 57,197 times

Advertisements

My main problem with Bud Light amphitheater would be if they only then sell Anheuser-Busch based products. I hate when this happens and like to have a decent selection of beers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 08:01 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,341,934 times
I prefer something to support our local business and not always implying alcohol. I'd rather see it be named "Krispy Kreme Amphitheater". Get a free KKD on your way out!

Old 05-19-2010, 08:24 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,706,114 times
Well, go ask Krispy Kreme to go drop a few million for the name! ;P

Fact is, the city is hurting for money, and it will take the money wherever it can get it. Just hope Preparation H doesn't step up as a sponsor.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:27 AM

29 posts, read 92,263 times
Well, in the world of redneck beers Bud Light is considered the classy option. That said, I'm still not a fan of the name.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:33 AM

397 posts, read 805,563 times
You can't beat the $$ that the big American Breweries have.

Their marketing budgets are HUGE and they can spend away to get their name on most anything.

Downtown concerts are almost always associated with some beer or Soda company anyway.

Budgets are tight for cities and the fact that this place is even here in this economy is a plus for music goers.

glass 1/2 full

Old 05-19-2010, 08:50 AM

204 posts, read 384,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloyfan View Post
Smithwick's Amphitheater for me, but most would not pronounce it correctly.
I do enjoy some "Smit-icks", and I actually have heard it is like the Bud Light of Ireland

Old 05-19-2010, 08:54 AM

335 posts, read 801,151 times
Pershonally, I'd like to schee the Night Train api...ampth..mushick place. Bud Light is for amateurs. *hic*

(Seriously, you think that's bad? Try telling people you're going to a show at the Jiffy Lube Amphitheater with a straight face. Jiffy Lube!)

Old 05-19-2010, 08:58 AM

586 posts, read 1,547,288 times
I think it comes down to the fact that it is mentioning a product by name rather than using the corporate name. The Budweiser Ampitheatre sounds better to me, just like the Playtex Ampitheatre would sound better than the Playtex Tampon Ampitheatre or the Kellogs Cheerios Ampitheatre. Naming the actual product just sounds tasteless in my humble opinion.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:02 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,991,194 times
Bud Light is the "official beer" of a huge number of professional sports leagues and individual teams. Anheuser-Busch soaks up almost all of these league sponsorships, and Bud Light is the primary product it attaches to most of them. Bud Light is the official beer of the NHL and shares MLB with the Budweiser brand. And Bud Light will become the official beer of the NFL beginning next year.

That's an awful lot of "hicks".

http://www.anheuser-busch.com/pdf/bl_major_sports_sponsorships.pdf (broken link)
Bud Light to Be NFL's Official Beer - WSJ.com

Old 05-19-2010, 09:11 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,175,341 times
Option 1: Budweiser comes in and spends tons of money to help pay for the venue. As a showing of gratitude (and probably from some contractual obligation over the money), we name it whatever the heck Bud wants.

Option 2: We all get so uptight over a name that we tell Bud to walk. The money needed to complete the project either never comes at all or comes out of the taxpayers' pocket. If the latter, we name it after some dead politician or other 'Who cares?' figure.

And either way, beer is served inside.

Come on folks. Unless it's being sponsored by Al Qaeda, I'm of the opinion that the least the city could do is name the venue in accordance with the wishes of those who wrote the check.

And as for naming the venue after booze perpetuating the stereotype the rest of the nation might have regarding our neck of the woods, it won't. Everyone else in the nation gets how this works because it's happened there, too.

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary