Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 10:50 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
Danny, I think that the Rushmore Mall may go through a renaissance similar to that of Western Mall but may be reincarnated in a different format or mall management will be creative in finding additional tentants. It may be an opportunity for those looking for store space to move in.
You may be right, but first I think a major remodeling is in order. The Rushmore Mall is so old that the roof leaks and they have to set garbage cans out to catch the water! No joke! The Rushmore Mall has actually gotten some new stores in recently. Champs, Journey's, and Lidz just recently came in and Charlotte Russe is opening in a month. The center of the mall does fine, but the closer you get to department stores the more it seems to die out. The Herberger's wing has NO STORES WHATSOEVER!

American Eagle, The Buckle, Old Navy, PacSun etc. will probably stay in the Rushmore Mall because, from what I hear, Rushmore Crossings is full and there are already some stores from the Rushmore Mall moving into Rushmore Crossing. However, the Meadows at the Black Hills may be a future option. They have begun building the roads north of I-90 that will connect Exits 60 and 59. Development will pop up there sooner or later too. I'd bet in the nxt few years that stretch of I-90 will add more and more stores and plazas.

Plazas are already being built south of town and Cuatros Vistas Plaza is being built on Haines avenue just off the Interstate. Founders Park is also developing several plazas downtown, but I think they're mostly business parks. RBC Dain Rauscher just recently moved into Founders Park too.

I guess Rapid City's growing whether we like it or not!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 05:04 PM

1 posts, read 4,258 times
Default I heard that

Dillards, along with a few other potential suitors for Rushmore Crossing have pulled out or were never going to come in the first place. I also heard that JC Penney was going to move into the spot where Dillards was supposed to go. Does anyone know where an updated list and layout could be found and if it is concrete or not? Because if a majority of these potential new stores end up backing out, and if Rushmore Crossing is just full of stores who move from the Rushmore Mall, I doubt that bodes well as far as economic growth is concerned. I thought the whole objective to building a new shopping center was to attract new clientele into the area and promote job, commercial, and economic growth. I suppose I have just had a bad feeling about this whole idea from the start. I would have much rather just seen renovations to the current mall. If this new mall does end up being beneficial to the town, then that is great and I am all for it. I just do not think the timing of this plan was right and that we are not quite ready for this just yet... But I tend to be wrong about these kinds of things, and I sincerely hope that I am.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:27 PM

If you look at my very first post on this thread, you will se the list of interested businesses and most of them are not just from the Rushmore Mall. I have too heard that Dillard's may be out and JC Penney may takes its spot. I personally hope this is not true, but either way its still growth.

I just drove by Rushmore Crossing today and they're taking advantage of the hot weather and working like crazy! Dirt's flying everywhere in the wind!!!

Old 05-20-2008, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 4,170 times
Default The Facts

The new arena addition being built at the Rushmore Plaza Civic Center is smaller then the existing arena. Many of the stores that are listed for the new mall have either backed out or were never even committed to the project, they were just the developers wish list.....this from someone with info from a couple of stores listed on the site plan. I hope that the projects around Rapid City do well, but some information on this forum is not correct.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:58 PM

Thanks for the updates jjones!
It is hard to tell who is and who is not going into Rushmore Crossing. I guess we'll never know until opening day! I also heard that the second arena at Rushmore Plaza was smaller than the old one, but the two arenas put together make it the largest events center in the Dakotas.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:08 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,921,728 times
The nationwide economic slump may have a part to due with some stores not coming in. The same issue is going on in Sioux Falls where its two outdoor mall projects, moreso the Galleria, are having a slow start. When the national economy turns around, the places in Sioux Falls and Rapid City may get tenants.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:46 AM

393 posts, read 1,069,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
The nationwide economic slump may have a part to due with some stores not coming in. The same issue is going on in Sioux Falls where its two outdoor mall projects, moreso the Galleria, are having a slow start. When the national economy turns around, the places in Sioux Falls and Rapid City may get tenants.
True. Spending on non-essential items is down all over and continues to fall as gas prices rise and uncertainty of future employment rises. That is tied to the stock values, and available credit/capital for most of the retailers. Unless they are debt free and have capital allocated and available for expansion, they will wait. Even IF they have the $$, they may still wait because opening a new store in good market takes money to get things moving.

Incidentally, I've seen all sorts of wild numbers on oil. Some say the US imports 21 million barrels a day, others 13 million! There is talk of a 10 BILLION barrel area near Alaska and other areas and even around North Dakota. Even 10 billion barrels would only last around 500 DAYS at 20+ million barrels a day, that's 16 1/2 months! Then what? Even at 13 million a day, you end up with 769 days which is about 25 months...

Anybody have horses? Maybe Cabela's has it right, they could end up being one of the stores that has a lot of things people NEED, verses want...

Old 05-23-2008, 08:51 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,407,849 times
I've heard theres a big oil boom in North Dakota...
It's crazy...

Old 05-26-2008, 06:55 PM

86 posts, read 270,294 times
Hey everyone, I'm new to the site but am interested with many of the posts so I decided to join. Also, I have lived in Rapid City all of my life (until this fall when I head to college ) so I know a thing or two about the big RC.

Just to clarify about the new Target store opening up at Rushmore Crossing. It is NOT a Super Target. I currently work at the Target at Rushmore Mall. The new Target will have a photo lab, pharmacy, starbucks, and a food avenue. It will have about 4 times the amount of freezers the old Target has but it will NOT have a full grocery store. It will also have 4 loading stations for trucks instead of 1 and an expanded warehouse.

Why they did not put in a Super Target it beyond me. Target bases their performance on online surveys that can be taken at target.com by customers. The workers have access to these surveys that are updated every week. I check them regularly and often see "add a super target!". I think it would make sense for a Super Target because of the obvious demand....but I'm not the one to decide that.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:42 PM

Andyroo! Yet another fellow Rapid Citian! Welcome aboard!
It's great that you have an inside on the Rushmore Crossing project. Now we don't have to just go by hearsay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City