Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should I keep my mirrored cabinet up or replace it with original mirror before listing?
Keep mirrored cabinet up, with note it will be replaced with mirror? 0 0%
Put back the original mirror before listing. 26 100.00%
Something else, which I will post below 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 05:32 AM

9,370 posts, read 14,210,329 times

Advertisements

There is a basic assumption that a bathroom sink will have a mirror of some sort, so you cannot just move out and leave the wall blank. Therefore, have the buyer see what he is going to have if he buys. IMHO, the only value the mirrored cabinet has to you is in the context of the total cabinetry in the room (which is gorgeous BTW). I would not take it out of the house when you sell but rather leave it as part of the design unless of course you are taking the sink cabinetry as well (and you are not).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 07:49 AM

414 posts, read 298,877 times
I love that set, very sharp.

If I was a buyer, I'd appreciate the matching look if you left it there, and I'd appreciate the storage space as well, if the house is small to begin with.

You could always add a mirror that suites you in your new house. Avoid any potential small contract complications, and not have to move another bulky piece to the moving van.

Just a thought.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:33 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,498,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
There is a basic assumption that a bathroom sink will have a mirror of some sort, so you cannot just move out and leave the wall blank. Therefore, have the buyer see what he is going to have if he buys. IMHO, the only value the mirrored cabinet has to you is in the context of the total cabinetry in the room (which is gorgeous BTW). I would not take it out of the house when you sell but rather leave it as part of the design unless of course you are taking the sink cabinetry as well (and you are not).
Of course I would never leave the wall blank. I do have a plate glass mirror that can go right back up where it was before.

The cabinet set pictured is not mine, but was the closest thing I could find on the Internet when I posted. (Honestly, the one pictured is fancier than mine is. Also, my bathroom is not large enough to include the vertical cabinet on the left.)

If my mirrored cabinet will not add at least $500 to the sales price of the house (I'm in a very hot market, easy commute [by car and rail] to San Francisco, Berkely/Oakland, and to Silicon Valley/Stanford, etc.), then I will remove it. I'd rather take it with me than the plate glass mirror I've been saving.

The thing that I may not have conveyed well is that I do live in an area where buyers would be unlikely to jeopardize their losing the house just because I have clearly stated (by way of a sticker on the cabinet, in the advertising, and in the contract) that the cabinet does not convey, but that the original plate glass mirror will go up in it's place. It's not uncommon to see sellers put restrictions on what stays with the house and what goes.

I have no fear that my house would not sell quickly, even without a single open house.

But just to make things easier for buyers and perhaps a real estate agent, I'll put back the mirror, and probably won't even go to the bother of framing it. Buyers can frame it however they wish, or can leave it plain.

I appreciate all the comments I have received.

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 05-25-2016 at 06:33 PM..

Old 05-26-2016, 03:45 PM

25,115 posts, read 16,289,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
When I look at model homes, they state some items that are clearly permanently affixed are not included, and if I am careful to do the same in photographs, on the item and in the contract, I do not see why it would be conveyable.

I am very nearsighted and it would be a hardship to go without the mirrored cabinet for the entire time of selling and then escrow.
I boldly assume that some of the model home fixtures are decorations to be used again in another home/community. They might not even belong to the builder.

You'd definitely put another mirror in its place, so that you can see what you're doing in the bathroom. Or is this some specialized curved enlarging mirror? You didn't say that before.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I boldly assume that some of the model home fixtures are decorations to be used again in another home/community. They might not even belong to the builder.

You'd definitely put another mirror in its place, so that you can see what you're doing in the bathroom. Or is this some specialized curved enlarging mirror? You didn't say that before.
Actually, I did. I wrote "My strong preference is #1 because the cabinet mirrors come forward, making it much easier for this near-sighted woman to apply makeup, put on contacts, etc."

The following mirror is not mine, but it gives you an example of what I mean:

Old 05-27-2016, 04:01 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,359,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post

If my mirrored cabinet will not add at least $500 to the sales price of the house (I'm in a very hot market, easy commute [by car and rail] to San Francisco, Berkely/Oakland, and to Silicon Valley/Stanford, etc.), then I will remove it.
It would be almost impossible to judge whether a fixture like that would add a number that could be valued. Homes aren't sold by adding up the cost of fixtures and assigning a value to them.

I think the item in question is perfect where it is and would add value in the mind of a buyer versus just having a flat mirror (framed or not) on the wall.

Now take the *$500* value and subtract what you might have to pay for that. Totally not worth it. Leave it be.

Old 06-11-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
It would be almost impossible to judge whether a fixture like that would add a number that could be valued. Homes aren't sold by adding up the cost of fixtures and assigning a value to them.

I think the item in question is perfect where it is and would add value in the mind of a buyer versus just having a flat mirror (framed or not) on the wall.

Now take the *$500* value and subtract what you might have to pay for that. Totally not worth it. Leave it be.
Thank you for your comment. If I can find another wood-framed, mirrored cabinet that I like as much as the one I have now to install in whatever home I may find in the future, I will consider leaving this one here. However, leaving it up simply because it adds "some" value (such as in making the house more attractive to buyers) is not important in this hot market. The house will sell well one way or the other.

I also did not mention before that this cabinet is located in a small hallway bathroom that has the dimensions of 5 feet by 10 feet and the mirrored cabinet protrudes from the wall forward over the vanity approximately four inches (4"). The illusion of space is better with the original mirror in place, as the original mirror was flat against the wall. Since we have gone to the bother of protecting the original plate glass mirror for a couple of years already, and there is still a standard medicine cabinet on the entrance wall (in addition to the wood-framed mirrored wall cabinet that I want to keep), I think I will follow the advice of those in the poll and put the original mirror back up when I get ready to put this home on the market.

Thank you to everyone who participated.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:08 AM

22,145 posts, read 33,704,653 times
My suggestion

If you want it and want to take it with you take it down. Put up some generic mirror/vanity.

Truthfully less it's some custom made or my "grandma gave me this its 150 years old" most likely you can buy another. And carting stuff across the country it could be broken or damaged. And you may not be able to install it in your new place if you're renting.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:43 PM

8,678 posts, read 22,981,757 times
I agree, if you want the piece, take it down and replace it with how you want to convey the property. Leaving it in place with a note "you can't have it" will only create tensions that need not be present. Make sure none of the photos contain the piece you wish to pack up and move.

Don't confuse the practices in a model home where upgrades and options are available. I have seen where sellers state the drapes in a certain room, yet it never fails the become part of the negotiations. I've seen the same thing happen in game rooms (with the exception of the pool table because it costs too much to move, so it conveys, lol).

If you don't want it staying, remove it now and show the buyer what they will really be getting when they buy your home.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:05 AM

488 posts, read 657,295 times
Remove the one you want to keep and replace it with the plate glass mirror. Framing it isn't difficult. There are instructions on Pinterest. You don't even have to cut a 45 degree angle. The Pin Junkie: How to Frame a Bathroom Mirror

If you remove it before listing the house, it never becomes a point of contention.

I have a ceiling fan in the master bedroom that I am attached to and that is not replaceable. I have already purchased a fan to replace it when we get ready to sell this home. It actually matches the new lighting fixtures in the adjoining bathroom.

Good luck on selling your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals