Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should I keep my mirrored cabinet up or replace it with original mirror before listing?
Keep mirrored cabinet up, with note it will be replaced with mirror? 0 0%
Put back the original mirror before listing. 26 100.00%
Something else, which I will post below 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 06:56 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,472,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
I agree, if you want the piece, take it down and replace it with how you want to convey the property. Leaving it in place with a note "you can't have it" will only create tensions that need not be present. Make sure none of the photos contain the piece you wish to pack up and move.

Don't confuse the practices in a model home where upgrades and options are available. I have seen where sellers state the drapes in a certain room, yet it never fails the become part of the negotiations. I've seen the same thing happen in game rooms (with the exception of the pool table because it costs too much to move, so it conveys, lol).

If you don't want it staying, remove it now and show the buyer what they will really be getting when they buy your home.
Funny story about draperies: In Germany, while looking at a high-end rental (not purchase, not rent-to-purchase) with someone, one exceptionally nice condo included a requirement that renter must purchase the custom draperies (nice, but not new) for 20,000 DM (this is 1990, pre-Euro). My advice to my friend was not to rent there, even though it was otherwise an exceptional place. It was really extortion, when you come down to it. The landlord would not budge, and it apparently rented easily.

As to pool tables, yes it seems that sellers tire of them and/or don't want to keep them/transport them, because it is quite common to see pool tables included in home sales purchase. If I liked a home that happens to have a pool table, I will would write into contract that the pool table would have to be removed at or before COE. I don't want one and I wouldn't want to take on the burden of having it removed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 07:06 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,472,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaHappy View Post
Remove the one you want to keep and replace it with the plate glass mirror. Framing it isn't difficult. There are instructions on Pinterest. You don't even have to cut a 45 degree angle. The Pin Junkie: How to Frame a Bathroom Mirror

If you remove it before listing the house, it never becomes a point of contention.

I have a ceiling fan in the master bedroom that I am attached to and that is not replaceable. I have already purchased a fan to replace it when we get ready to sell this home. It actually matches the new lighting fixtures in the adjoining bathroom.

Good luck on selling your home.

Thank you. We just installed inside door levers to replace two round door handles, but don't plan to do the entire home, so we have saved the original round handles (attractive) and will re-install them prior to photographing and putting the house up for sale. The levers are better for my wrist, but the bedroom and bathroom locks on the levers are extremely easy to defeat, and the round handle has a better lock (one can still defeat them, but it requires a bit more effort and a tool.)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals