Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should I keep my mirrored cabinet up or replace it with original mirror before listing?
Keep mirrored cabinet up, with note it will be replaced with mirror? 0 0%
Put back the original mirror before listing. 26 100.00%
Something else, which I will post below 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 08:05 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,480,058 times

Advertisements

Just today I was thinking about this topic as I was getting ready for an appointment. A couple of years ago I had a new vanity installed and then bought a coordinating 3-section mirrored cabinet with storage to go above it. Prior to that, there was a plate glass mirror above it.

I definitely plan to take this new mirrored cabinet with me, which in California might be considered to be part of the structure now (not sure, though, since it hangs on strong hooks, and is not nailed into the wall). I saved the original plate glass mirror (it's carefully wrapped in a blanket, but it's a pain, as it takes up space) for the next buyer when I sell (whenever that will be). The cabinet matches the color of the new vanity perfectly.

I'd like to know which would be better when I list the home.

1. Keep the cabinet up with a "not included" tag on it, noting that a plate glass mirror will replace it (and follow this up in the contract).

or

2. Replace the mirrored cabinet with the plate glass mirror at listing and take pictures with the plate glass mirror for the listing. (If I choose this option, I would likely frame the simple mirror with wood, to make it more attractive.)

My strong preference is #1 because the cabinet mirrors come forward, making it much easier for this near-sighted woman to apply makeup, put on contacts, etc. So I don't want to take it down until I move.

On the other hand, a simple framed mirror might look better from the side in pictures, since the mirror would not stick out the 3" or so that the mirrored cabinet does. Additionally, there would be no need for any discussion or sticker concerns someone might try to add it to the contract.

What does everyone recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 08:06 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,465,282 times
It is a mirror, what is the big deal?

Old 05-24-2016, 08:10 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,257,659 times
#2. as said elsewhere on the RE Forum in the last 2 days - if you want to take it with you, and it might be considered conveyable, then get it out of sight.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
It is a mirror, what is the big deal?
What I have up now is not just a mirror, but a sectional mirror in a cherry cabinet, somewhat similar to the following, except that all three segments are the same width:

My mirrored cabinet sticks out 4", not 3".

Old 05-24-2016, 08:29 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,014,190 times
If you want to take it with you, take it down and put up a nicely framed mirror. No need to squabble about it later on in the transaction and it's stupid little things like this that cause transactions to go south in the end.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
#2. as said elsewhere on the RE Forum in the last 2 days - if you want to take it with you, and it might be considered conveyable, then get it out of sight.
When I look at model homes, they state some items that are clearly permanently affixed are not included, and if I am careful to do the same in photographs, on the item and in the contract, I do not see why it would be conveyable.

I am very nearsighted and it would be a hardship to go without the mirrored cabinet for the entire time of selling and then escrow.

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 05-24-2016 at 08:49 PM..

Old 05-24-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
If you want to take it with you, take it down and put up a nicely framed mirror. No need to squabble about it later on in the transaction and it's stupid little things like this that cause transactions to go south in the end.
Thank you for your professional opinion. If I were to find one quite similar to the mirrored cabinet, then I might consider leaving it. How much value do you think a framed mirror somewhat similar to the one pictured would add and/or entice someone to view the house?

And if I choose instead to put back the mirror, would I be wise to frame it (time, expense) or could I then just put it back the way it was? (plain)

As you know, this is a seller's market, but I need to max out the sales price in order to transfer my tax basis if I move to a Proposition 90 county in California.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:27 PM

19,456 posts, read 27,916,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Totally agree. Get a magnifying mirror for twenty bucks at Amazon for your makeup and contacts.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Totally agree. Get a magnifying mirror for twenty bucks at Amazon for your makeup and contacts.
I have three of those. They don't work for my needs, but thank you for your comment.
The cabinet stores a lot, too, and space is at an extreme premium here in this small house.

I may end up just reinstalling the mirror, with or without a frame since those of you who have responded thus far seem to agree that would be the best thing to do to avoid problems.

If I can get another mirrored cabinet like I have now that would be ideal. If so, then I will just up the price of this house by the amount the mirrored cabinet cost, installed, unless you all think a mirror would actually be more appealing than a mirrored cabinet.

Anyone have any preferences? A visually larger room (slightly) with the mirror reinstalled, or the attractive storage cabinet in cherry which matches my vanity?

Old 05-25-2016, 05:17 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,267,008 times
The mirror you have is nice but does not really add any value. However, most people would assume it would convey and even with a note on it, it could become an issue. If you want to keep it, then remove before listing. If you decide to leave it, it is not going to increase the value of the house in any appreciable way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals