Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 09:06 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,980,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Even though we are selling the condo "as is" and we accepted their offer of $7,000 below our asking price, the buyer now wants another $6,000 price reduction due to the "many defects" such as the damaged carpet, lint behind the dryer, a missing piece of baseboard in the kitchen, and that we do not storm windows on our basement windows (BTW, I do not think any of the condos in my complex have storm windows on their basement windows). Also, we have a light above our bathtub. It was code when the condo was built but not today.
HMMM...
What would I say?
Well, probably "I'm sorry, but NO!" Then I would instruct my Realtor to give the Earnest money (if any) back to the no-longer buyers, and put the condo back on the open market.
But then, it is well known that I am a very narrow minded old dude when it comes to real estate transactions. Come to think of it, I am when it comes to nearly all sale transactions where I am the seller!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 09:18 PM

6,819 posts, read 11,550,944 times
Most of the items you mentioned should have been noted by the buyers before they made their offer and factored into their price. I'd remind them it's an as-is sale, take it or leave it.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:34 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,691,220 times
Quote:
Even though we are selling the condo "as is" and we accepted their offer of $7,000 below our asking price, the buyer now wants another $6,000 price reduction due to the "many defects" such as the damaged carpet, lint behind the dryer, a missing piece of baseboard in the kitchen, and that we do not storm windows on our basement windows (BTW, I do not think any of the condos in my complex have storm windows on their basement windows). Also, we have a light above our bathtub. It was code when the condo was built but not today.
You knew this was coming - reject the repairs, take it or leave it & move on if they don't accept.

No grumbling, sweating or worrying - the "buyer" wants to fix the place up on your dime, the answer is "no".

Anyone talking about moving walls was going to rip up the carpet, do electrical repairs & clean up their debris (including the dryer lint!) - you don't need to pay for it.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:38 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I'd remind them it's an as-is sale, take it or leave it.
Yep.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:21 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,691,220 times
Seriously, where's your agent on this? They should be kicking the schnizzle out of the other agent for even asking about piddly stuff like that! $6k for dryer lint & storm windows? Were the comps on your professional appraisal "certified lint-free"? Somehow, I think they can deal with some dryer lint & rusty dishwasher racks themselves.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:28 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,668,336 times
Quote:
"Askin' ain't gettin' "

Tell 'em to take their kids and go pound sand.

Either they'll shrug and say, "OK," and buy the house anyway, or they'll walk.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
HMMM...
What would I say?
Well, probably "I'm sorry, but NO!" Then I would instruct my Realtor to give the Earnest money (if any) back to the no-longer buyers, and put the condo back on the open market.
I wouldn't bother saying "I'm sorry". :-)

Old 06-16-2016, 10:31 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Seriously, where's your agent on this? They should be kicking the schnizzle out of the other agent for even asking about piddly stuff like that! $6k for dryer lint & storm windows? Were the comps on your professional appraisal "certified lint-free"? Somehow, I think they can deal with some dryer lint & rusty dishwasher racks themselves.
The buyers agent is out of town. Our agent reminded the acting buyer's agent that all of those things were things that they saw, or should have seen, when they visited the condo during the private showings. And, the paperwork clearly stated that it was sold "as is" and the carpeting, walls, windows & a few other minor things were listed as damaged.

But, I don't think that the buyers saw the professional appraisal that listed the "as is" value as $162,000.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:37 PM

OP, generally the sellers aren't there -- it's hard for the sellers to hear their beloved home being picked apart by the inspectors, and the buyer and inspector are more free to discuss findings without worrying about offending you. Usually the agent is there to let them in, or the seller leaves when they arrive. Given the circus you and your daughter encountered, I wouldn't have left, either.

Most of the inspectors around here can access a listing with a special CBS code. It's not a key to the SUPRA lockbox, but it's a code that only works on THAT lockbox. Usually, an agent can just point their electronic key at the lockbox, plug in their password, and it opens. For a inspector/appraiser/some repair professionals, they have been vetted by the MLS, and have a special key that allows them access to the SUPRA box. However, instead of just pointing and plugging in their password, they ALSO have to have a special code that is unique to that lockbox, and that has to be plugged in, too. It's provided by the agent, who is the only one who knows what the CBS code is. The time and person then shows up on the entry report.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
The buyers agent is out of town. Our agent reminded the acting buyer's agent that all of those things were things that they saw, or should have seen, when they visited the condo during the private showings. And, the paperwork clearly stated that it was sold "as is" and the carpeting, walls, windows & a few other minor things were listed as damaged.

But, I don't think that the buyers saw the professional appraisal that listed the "as is" value as $162,000.
So, you had an appraisal done before you listed the house?

Is this an all-cash sale? Because if not, the lender is going to do their own appraisal. It will be interesting to see what their appraiser comes up with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals