Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2016, 11:45 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,680,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I hear a bit of "Let's blame the victim" in the thread.
Sellers might shoulder some blame for renegotiations after inspections.
They could avoid a LOT of issues if they would inspect and repair and disclose prior to contract. The whole "I don't want to know what I have and anyone who finds it is a jerk" is a pretty lame value proposition for selling a house.
The seller in this case didn't hide anything & negotiated in good faith. They accepted a low "cash offer" to avoid the hassle of getting nit-picked on inspection & appraisal & they got nit-picked anyway. For a very long time, the only people writing "cash" offers were serious, experienced investors who were willing to accept some risk in exchange for a cash "discount". That isn't the buy-side of this deal - it's someone expecting a "discount" , unwilling to accept any risk & "negotiating" in bad faith, having tied up the property & discouraged other potential buyers. The seller would have never agreed to the final sale price if they hadn't been gamed by the buyer.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 12:00 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,139,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
The seller in this case didn't hide anything & negotiated in good faith. They accepted a low "cash offer" to avoid the hassle of getting nit-picked on inspection & appraisal & they got nit-picked anyway. For a very long time, the only people writing "cash" offers were serious, experienced investors who were willing to accept some risk in exchange for a cash "discount". That isn't the buy-side of this deal - it's someone expecting a "discount" , unwilling to accept any risk & "negotiating" in bad faith, having tied up the property & discouraged other potential buyers. The seller would have never agreed to the final sale price if they hadn't been gamed by the buyer.
As the OP, and seller, I agree.

If they had originally offered $144,000 or even $147,000 I/we would not have accepted the offer. We were told that the offer of $150,000 was not contingent on an inspection as everything was listed in the condition report and the condo was sold "as is". That made it doubly surprising when all those people showed up unannounced on Wednesday for a House Inspection.

BTW, one more vent. The new buyer's mom (who appeared to be in charge) called our agent yesterday and asked (begged) to come over to take some measurements. She said that it would be only "ten minutes". Our agent said that it was up to us whether or not we should agree. Our daughter rearranged her schedule to be there at the agreed upon time to let her in. Guess what? The woman never showed up and did not call either the agent or my daughter with an explanation. Our daughter waited a half an hour and then had to leave, she is worried that they will just show up unannounced like they did for the home inspection and the radon inspector.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:45 PM

43,275 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

If they had originally offered $144,000 or even $147,000 I/we would not have accepted the offer. We were told that the offer of $150,000 was not contingent on an inspection as everything was listed in the condition report and the condo was sold "as is". That made it doubly surprising when all those people showed up unannounced on Wednesday for a House Inspection.

BTW, one more vent. The new buyer's mom (who appeared to be in charge) called our agent yesterday and asked (begged) to come over to take some measurements. She said that it would be only "ten minutes". Our agent said that it was up to us whether or not we should agree. Our daughter rearranged her schedule to be there at the agreed upon time to let her in. Guess what? The woman never showed up and did not call either the agent or my daughter with an explanation. Our daughter waited a half an hour and then had to leave, she is worried that they will just show up unannounced like they did for the home inspection and the radon inspector.
Of course, you are right in your situation. Your condo was swarmed by idiots.

My post was in general response to generic moaning about HGTV and buyer practices.
Transactions differ, but too often in far too many transactions, sellers belittle buyers for finding issues that the sellers wished had stayed hidden.
That disappointment for those sellers surely isn't HGTV's fault, but none of that stuff applies to your description of your transaction.

Old 06-19-2016, 03:01 PM

89 posts, read 116,231 times
Quote:

Is line 490 on the offer to purchase checked? If it is checked then the offer is contingent on a condo inspection, if it isn't checked then the offer isn't. That's something your agent should've went over with you while presenting the offer to purchase, hope this helps.

Old 06-19-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TosaJoe View Post
Is line 490 on the offer to purchase checked? If it is checked then the offer is contingent on a condo inspection, if it isn't checked then the offer isn't. That's something your agent should've went over with you while presenting the offer to purchase, hope this helps.
Hello, Tosa Joe!
I do not recall if 409 was checked and I do not have a copy of any of the paperwork (am I supposed to get a copy of the paperwork?). I was told verbally that the buyer was not requiring a House Inspection but that they "may decide" to get one.

Last edited by germaine2626; 06-19-2016 at 03:47 PM..

Old 06-19-2016, 04:37 PM

89 posts, read 116,231 times
Quote:
Hello, Tosa Joe!
I do not recall if 409 was checked and I do not have a copy of any of the paperwork (am I supposed to get a copy of the paperwork?). I was told verbally that the buyer was not requiring a House Inspection but that they "may decide" to get one.
Hi Germaine! Inspection Contingency is line 490 on page 9 of the offer to purchase, which basically reads that's a WI registered home inspector is authorized to inspect the unit and any limited common elements. This box will either be checked or not checked, if it's checked and you signed the offer then an inspection is allowed, if it's not checked and you signed the offer then no inspection allowed. A buyer can check the box and not have an inspection done within the usual 10 days, that is totally up to them which is what I think your referencing. In that case the box would've been checked and the buyer has the right to have an inspection or let the deadline pass, buts that's quite different than not asking for an inspection contingency. As for the offer you will either have an electronic version via email or a paper version, but you should most definitely have a copy of the offer. Sorry for the long winded response, but real estate is all about the details. I'm really glad that you have an accepted offer and can move on to the next chapter.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TosaJoe View Post
Hi Germaine! Inspection Contingency is line 490 on page 9 of the offer to purchase, which basically reads that's a WI registered home inspector is authorized to inspect the unit and any limited common elements. This box will either be checked or not checked, if it's checked and you signed the offer then an inspection is allowed, if it's not checked and you signed the offer then no inspection allowed. A buyer can check the box and not have an inspection done within the usual 10 days, that is totally up to them which is what I think your referencing. In that case the box would've been checked and the buyer has the right to have an inspection or let the deadline pass, buts that's quite different than not asking for an inspection contingency. As for the offer you will either have an electronic version via email or a paper version, but you should most definitely have a copy of the offer. Sorry for the long winded response, but real estate is all about the details. I'm really glad that you have an accepted offer and can move on to the next chapter.
Thank you for the information.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:22 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Quote:
Don't accommodate any more of their requests.

If they show up unannounced again, your daughter does not have to answer the door.

This is getting ridiculous. They should NOT be contacting your agent.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Don't accommodate any more of their requests.

If they show up unannounced again, your daughter does not have to answer the door.

This is getting ridiculous. They should NOT be contacting your agent.
I just spoke with my daughter and she said that the woman never did text or call to apologize for setting an appointment and then not showing up.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:12 AM

Default Update, February 26, 2017

Quote:

Quote:
I just spoke with my daughter and she said that the woman never did text or call to apologize for setting an appointment and then not showing up.
I was just thinking about all my threads about selling our condo and IMHO, rude, inconsiderate treatment by the buyers and thought that I would make a quick update.

The rude and inconsiderate treatment continued during closing, final walk through and the switch over of the keys.

But the interesting thing (although, it really did not surprise me) was that the owner & her mother continued to cause enormous problems for the neighbors & the condo association after the 30 something daughter moved in.

There were many, many problems (including more police calls to the complex in six months than I suspect that we had in the previous 30 years). Trash left on common property, construction vans parked on the private road for weeks, loud wild parties, rude behavior towards condo neighbors (such as the door slammed in their faces when they came to introduce themselves), condo fees late every month, more cars visiting that condo each day than all of the other condos put together and doubled or tripled in number and on and on.

We have pet restrictions, all dogs must be on leashes, all dog poop picked up immediately, maximum one dog per unit and a weight restriction of 30 pounds. Well, one boyfriend had a huge pit bull which they would just open the front door and send the dog outside by himself and never pick up the poop. Not only was that dangerous, but my friends who still lived there said that the grass around her unit looked & smelled like a herd of cows had just walked though leaving dozens of cow pies (cow manure). The owner said that she "owned" the unit so she could do what she wanted to do (duh, not in a condo with a HOA and not on common property).

And, then several of the contractors (or friends of hers) would bring their large dogs along, too while they were working/visiting there. And, since they were "visiting" dogs they insisted that the rules did not apply to them (such as picking up dog poop).

This went on for five months. Now, I feel bad even writing this but I want to give a valid update. Sadly, after five months, the new owner passed away. While no knows for sure (and it really is not relevant to the story) her relatives did tell neighbors that it was due to an "accidental drug overdose" and then mentioned something like "the association can forget about us ever paying any more condo fees or any other money to this 'crummy place' ".

It just shows you that a leopard does not change it spots, after it buys a condo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals