Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 11:43 PM

13,751 posts, read 8,009,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Yes.

I have a pending sale going on right now, so I freaked out about capital gains. Here's what I found:

This is the conference report:

(emphasis mine)

I read the relevant section of the final enrolled bill. That House provision is not there, Thank God. CNN confirms this: Homeowners: Here's what's in the tax bill for you - Dec. 17, 2017

I'm surprised this particular provision in the House bill was not bigger news. It would indeed have hurt real estate in many markets throughout the country, and particularly hurt people who bought wisely into rapidly appreciating markets. To modify it to 5/8 would have significantly impacted sales volume in rising markets and hurt a lot of middle class people who planned to roll their equity into a new house. Stupid, stupid way to tax. It would have skyrocketed rents and prices even more in places like California and Colorado, because a LOT of homeowners would have remained in their houses for another couple years, further reducing inventory.

Since I read a good 1/3rd of the final bill related to individual taxes and scanned the rest... my takeaway is that they removed a lot of the medicine and kept a lot of the goodies, at least temporarily. This is how they picked up a few more of the blue state Republicans.

Most of the goodies go away for individuals after a few years. The business taxes stay. Businesses are getting an enormous tax break, forever. This will explode the deficit in the next few years. Bigly.

I don't expect real estate to get hit that hard now and continue more or less on the same path. The mortgage deduction changes may make some marginal changes, especially to high cost markets like New York City.

Right. There is no way I can make the 5/8 but 2/5 is fine.

To find out the 2/5 law wasn't changed is a nice Christmas present.

Last edited by john3232; 12-23-2017 at 11:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 08:02 AM

77 posts, read 192,113 times
I think the bigger issue is the cap on itemized deductions for state taxes, carrying a home just got a lot more expensive in places like New York.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:14 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,415,814 times
I may well move to a lower state and local tax state then where I am in Plano, Tx in 2019 in part due to this change in handling SALT taxes. I am planning to pay 2018 property tax partially early this week to get my SALT taxes for 2018 down to the $10k deduction limit then move to a state like Tennessee where I can live in house similar to my $15k property tax house in Plano. With the low property taxes and tax on dividends the only income related tax in TN now, I should still have room for claiming $2 to 3k of sales tax and staying under the $10k limit.

Some moves like this may be pushed with the new tax bill but I might have moved without the law but this makes it more attractive to me than before. I see one can not pay 2018 state income in 2017 to claim it and avoid the loss of deduction in 2018 due to the $10k limits but see nothing to limit my option of paying property tax in 2017 for 2018 and deducting ti in 2017 on fed tax return. This difference in treatment of income and property tax is probably due to the fact many pay their property taxes into an escrow account so they didn't want to complicate that with the law change

Old 12-26-2017, 04:17 PM

41 posts, read 25,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I'm not sure this discussion was intended to be limited to the MID and the rules around what may be considered a flip... there are certainly consequences to the RE market from this holiday gift. SALT cap. Lower tax bracket breaks set to expire. Savings tied to child care credits, which expire (when your kids age out).

There doesn't appear to be much in this plan to help the average homeowner over the long run and certainly will change the dynamics of home purchasing in property tax heavy metros.
While flipping will certainly be an issue in my market (Long Island) a far bigger issue is loss of the SALT deduction. Especially with second homeowners. I am selling a 700,000 house with $19,000 taxes and a large insurance bill, because it falls at the edge of a flood zone. MANY of my 2nd home buyers are just regular people who live in town in Nassau County with high tax rates, looking at houses in the 400,000 as a second home.

Old 12-29-2017, 06:55 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,925,195 times
It seems like every six months I get an email from NAR urging me to email my elected officials (thank you for including the link in the email) and to demand in my loudest voice why we do not need (or need) the proposed legislation. In the past 30 years, there has not been any legislation with enough impact to rock my world. Even the most detested, Dodd Frank Bill, has not had a negative impact on my business or my income.

I think most industry professionals just roll with the change. If the impact is a grave as touted, it will be reversed. But change is the only constant in our industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals