Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 06:39 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,488,160 times

Advertisements

Our clients all get such a questionnaire automatically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 07:44 AM

10,997 posts, read 22,035,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
The lawyer, referred to by our realtor, never called us to tell us how anything went.
Our realtor never even made a simple call to us regarding how OUR own closing went.
Would you be p'o'd? She decided to email us 1 MONTH afterward to say it was a pleasure working with us and to refer her to any family and friends that might be selling their homes!!!
I forked over 14k for her for her fees and didn't even get a call to let us know how our closing went. We could not make it because we moved out of state and let the lawyer do it by proxy.

WOuld you write a letter back and vent or let her know we weren't happy by the fact that she didn't even acknowledge us with how anything went?

I was shocked to say the least! I guess they take their money and run! I would never refer her to anyone!!!

Any opinions on this? SHould I not even bother? I am glad the house is sold,etc.. but am pizzed that she couldn't pick up a phone and call us!
I agree that a phone call should have been made to you but....couldn't you have also called your Realtor? I'd say you are just as much at fault for the lack of communication in this instance.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I understand your issue.. Collecting $ 14K and not even one phone call, no refferals from me or the rest must have gone superb... What was this realtor thinking....
Maybe for a realtor it isn't important but for the client it is and that is why so many people have issues with realtors, they think the way it is important for them and don't realize how clients are...until they aren't treated the way the want in a store or a restaurant...
What are you talking about? We are talking about one person and you take the opportunity to accuse all Realtors of poor behavior.

Translation: I hate Realtors.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Some of you just are so arrogant and if you would just put your self in a clients shoes you would make so many more people happy
Maybe you should give the client a chance to fill out a survey and see how they react towards certain things and make things better that you aren't aware off. When I had my business I did these things and if you are open to changes and more money I know it works and you get more happy people and don't have to ask for a refferal, because you get them from the happy customers without asking...
1-ERA Corporate offices send out a survey after every ERA closing nationally.
2-Realtors are very flexible. If you just want us to take less, well why don't you out to eat tonight and try to bargain with the waiter or chef to get your meal for less, then come back and tell us how it went? While you're at it, why don't you try and negotiate down the tip for waiter to 5% because that's a lot better than paying 15%. BTW, negotiate the tip down up front and let us know what kind of service you get.
3-Normally Realtors do need to ask for referrals and maintain some form of contact.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:16 AM

2 posts, read 4,957 times
I find this all very interesting because it reveals many of the problems we face as Realtors when trying to earn someone's business. I recently read the results of a survey indicating we're about on par with attorneys as far as the public's perception of our trustworthiness. While I certainly find it frustrating to deal with the negative press, hearing stories like this just confirms that we're doing it to ourselves.

Personally, I don't enjoy working with someone who I constantly have to convince that I'm providing value. This leads to what I call the "dog and pony show" where you do stupid, ineffective crap to pander to your client because you want to make it look like you're working hard. You know what I mean: the open houses, agent caravans/luncheons, newspaper/TV ads, snazzy fliers--all the stuff sellers THINK works but actually doesn't do squat in most markets.

I got so tired of putting on this front that I started working by referral only. I offer excellent service to my current clients and take care of my past clients, and it's amazing how little pandering I have to do when I have someone's trust from the start. Now I spend my time doing the things that REALLY help sell a home, and I don't waste my time on the sideshow.

BUT, you can't work by referral if you don't deliver, and you must communicate effectively with your clients. Sometimes my clients will ask me to do something I know is ineffective, in which case I will do it, but only after setting their expectations correctly by explaining how the process really works. I get so tired of agents selling services that don't work, and I think that only makes the problem worse.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:23 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,356,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
I'd be irritated. It's just common courtesy to inform the person who is PAYING you for your services regarding the outcome of said services.

Unfortunately common courtesy is now considered extraordinary courtesy.

I wouldn't respond to her email and I wouldn't refer her either.
Your silence should speak volumes, but my guess is she hasn't got enough of a clue to realize it.....
THANK YOU !! She was the one working for US. A common courtesy call would have highly been appreciated!! I think you are right, I think she is clueless about even understanding why we havent returned calls! No way would I refer this dimwit. Our other realtor was like this when buying the house we have now. We shook our heads in disbelief because she didn't know the simplest of questions!! She got our business and should be happy especially the market we have now!!

Old 06-06-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
THANK YOU !! She was the one working for US. A common courtesy call would have highly been appreciated!! I think you are right, I think she is clueless about even understanding why we havent returned calls!
So you said earlier she never called and now you are saying she did try to call repeatedly after closing and you didn't take the phone calls? Hmmm...

Old 06-06-2008, 02:03 PM

27,219 posts, read 46,841,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
So you said earlier she never called and now you are saying she did try to call repeatedly after closing and you didn't take the phone calls? Hmmm...
Why can't you read it as this was written?

I understand exactly what the OP is writing and agree with the OP. Just one call and it isn't the clients duty to call and ask how the closing went, they could have done it but if you collect a commision it should be normal to make that phone call.. why are we even wasting our time....you don't want to get it and probable want to accuse me of hating a realtor...just incompetent realtors.
IMO RobbieInTheATL gets it and knows how to get the referrals. I work a lot with hiring people that I got through referrals and are very happy with most of them, since my friends know what good work is and how there are people who get it and yes, they hardly spend money on advertisement since they get them from smart people.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:14 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,488,160 times
bentlebee, no one has to accuse you of hating realtors. Anyone who consistently reads your posts can come to that conclusion without being directed to it.

On this, I likely would have placed a call (or email - many of my clients prefer email, and I have a record of when it went out and what it said) just to make sure that they received their money. Except that I've never had a long distance client not contact me first (usually right after closing) to find out how things went.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:00 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,270,735 times
Quote:
Why can't you read it as this was written?

I understand exactly what the OP is writing and agree with the OP. Just one call and it isn't the clients duty to call and ask how the closing went, they could have done it but if you collect a commision it should be normal to make that phone call.. why are we even wasting our time....you don't want to get it and probable want to accuse me of hating a realtor...just incompetent realtors.
IMO RobbieInTheATL gets it and knows how to get the referrals. I work a lot with hiring people that I got through referrals and are very happy with most of them, since my friends know what good work is and how there are people who get it and yes, they hardly spend money on advertisement since they get them from smart people.
Actually you are accusing her of being a bad salesman...not of being a bad RE Agent. Got the job done and then did not do the closing touchy feely to set up the client for referrals.

I agree. We would never let that happen. That is because we want to be very good salesmen as well as great RE Agents.

I will however point out that sometimes the client closing is no place near the biggest alligator in the swamp you are trying to drain. And as you clobber the big ones crawling into your boat you might forget to pet a small one leaving the scene.

(Just spent over 9 hours over two days trying to get the utilities on for a house we are trying to close. @#$%^%$ Power Company refuses to take money from anybody to turn the power on. Catch 22 no inspection or close without power no power without close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals