Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 03:03 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,996,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Realtors are very flexible. If you just want us to take less, well why don't you out to eat tonight and try to bargain with the waiter or chef to get your meal for less, then come back and tell us how it went? While you're at it, why don't you try and negotiate down the tip for waiter to 5% because that's a lot better than paying 15%. BTW, negotiate the tip down up front and let us know what kind of service you get.
A couple of days ago agents on this board were trying to convince me that commissions are negotiable. Now you're implying that they aren't. You guys should really get your stories straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 03:11 PM

10,981 posts, read 22,016,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin-Willy View Post
A couple of days ago agents on this board were trying to convince me that commissions are negotiable. Now you're implying that they aren't. You guys should really get your stories straight.
They are negotiable but that doesn't mean some people will take less than x%. That post was meant more towards the other outspoken person that ignored it.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:46 PM

5,273 posts, read 7,353,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
So you said earlier she never called and now you are saying she did try to call repeatedly after closing and you didn't take the phone calls? Hmmm...

HUH? rEAD original post before you twist things. No .She never ever called us once. She wrote an email to us on Owners.com (it came through that way)God knows why she didn't send us an email from HER and not receiving an email that says "A POTENTIAL BUYER HAS CONTACTED YOU!"

That is strange! I should have said, "I didn't return the email" not call. MY MIstake!!

We HIRED her to do the work for us. We paid her 14k and don't even get a follow up phone call!!!!!!!from her!

Old 06-06-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
bentlebee, no one has to accuse you of hating realtors. Anyone who consistently reads your posts can come to that conclusion without being directed to it.

On this, I likely would have placed a call (or email - many of my clients prefer email, and I have a record of when it went out and what it said) just to make sure that they received their money. Except that I've never had a long distance client not contact me first (usually right after closing) to find out how things went.
My incompetent realtor made 14k and I have to call her? SHE WAS THE ONE AT THE CLOSING!!! Not me. She should have called us to tell us how it went. Plain and simple.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieInTheATL View Post
I find this all very interesting because it reveals many of the problems we face as Realtors when trying to earn someone's business. I recently read the results of a survey indicating we're about on par with attorneys as far as the public's perception of our trustworthiness. While I certainly find it frustrating to deal with the negative press, hearing stories like this just confirms that we're doing it to ourselves.

Personally, I don't enjoy working with someone who I constantly have to convince that I'm providing value. This leads to what I call the "dog and pony show" where you do stupid, ineffective crap to pander to your client because you want to make it look like you're working hard. You know what I mean: the open houses, agent caravans/luncheons, newspaper/TV ads, snazzy fliers--all the stuff sellers THINK works but actually doesn't do squat in most markets.

I got so tired of putting on this front that I started working by referral only. I offer excellent service to my current clients and take care of my past clients, and it's amazing how little pandering I have to do when I have someone's trust from the start. Now I spend my time doing the things that REALLY help sell a home, and I don't waste my time on the sideshow.

BUT, you can't work by referral if you don't deliver, and you must communicate effectively with your clients. Sometimes my clients will ask me to do something I know is ineffective, in which case I will do it, but only after setting their expectations correctly by explaining how the process really works. I get so tired of agents selling services that don't work, and I think that only makes the problem worse.
THANK YOU ROBBIE!! Well said, my friend. Wow, a realtor too and I LIKE you!!!

Old 06-06-2008, 04:51 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,456,727 times
I didn't say that you had to call her. In fact, I stated that I would have called you. I simply mentioned that the out of state sellers that I've had have been on the phone or email to me as soon as they figure the closing is over, because they're eager to know, so for the most part I haven't had a chance to call (or email) them after closing before they do.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Why can't you read it as this was written?

I understand exactly what the OP is writing and agree with the OP. Just one call and it isn't the clients duty to call and ask how the closing went, they could have done it but if you collect a commision it should be normal to make that phone call.. why are we even wasting our time....you don't want to get it and probable want to accuse me of hating a realtor...just incompetent realtors.
IMO RobbieInTheATL gets it and knows how to get the referrals. I work a lot with hiring people that I got through referrals and are very happy with most of them, since my friends know what good work is and how there are people who get it and yes, they hardly spend money on advertisement since they get them from smart people.
BENTLEBEE! You rock. Thank you!! You totally understand my point of view. I will make sure I get it out there not to do business with her since I still have friends and contacts back in MA. It is unacceptable, in my humble opinion.

The burning question is : Why on Earth would a realtor contact me through Owners.com and the subject heading in her email she sent me was " A potential buyer has contacted you"... She couldn't even write on her own email address? I guess you have to deal with all kinds.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I didn't say that you had to call her. In fact, I stated that I would have called you. I simply mentioned that the out of state sellers that I've had have been on the phone or email to me as soon as they figure the closing is over, because they're eager to know, so for the most part I haven't had a chance to call (or email) them after closing before they do.
Well, she was physically there. She knew exactly when the closing was over and done. We weren't able to be there due to constraints and were 400 miles away...and of course, closings get delayed all the time so we didn't have an extra week or two to spend there just in case!

Old 06-06-2008, 05:40 PM

27,219 posts, read 46,814,781 times
I had an overseas closing and in the country I come from closing are always happening or some one has to be sick...but I never heard a closing didn't go through. A client has 2 or 3 weeks to get the mortgage in place and when the mortgage is approved the client will lose 75% (of the total sales price) if they don't go forward with the closing. Even in case of a job loose or dead in the family...People only get a mortgage when their salary allows it and there has to be a down payment. So different country different rules and not so stress ful as here, but on the other hand not so much chances to buy a lot and make a lot of money...pro's and cons, but our realtor which we worked with in many trans actions of the years, emailed us immediately since he didn't want to call because of the time difference. He only made 1.25% commision!!! He knows how to keep a client and did a lot of work. The commisions are much lower over there and yes, they do like to get more, but this is how it is and they give full service and we have no FSBO, since nobody will complain over 1.5 or 1.25% commision fees.

This last week there were many comments from Brandon Hoffman to me that I'm a realtor hater....., I can only react by saying that it his short coming and I understand where he is coming from....Maybe you are from a different generation than me and think you are the realtor that every one has to look up to and you can't do anything wrong. Well times has changed and clients are more educated and want to be treated with respect and not like we have to believe all what realtors are telling us and IMO the time that realtors took the clients by the hand ...are over (maybe a few still need it), most people use the internet and can learn fast.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:03 PM

15,594 posts, read 40,497,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin-Willy View Post
The whole "commissions are negotiable" thing really throws people off. It's mean to deal with anti-trust issues, not listing agreement issues.

Here's the deal. We agents as a group can't get together and agree to fix commissions. That would violate anti-trust laws. So, in order to make sure that people understand that there is no "standard" commission, brokerages talk about commissions being negotiable.

Individual agents or individual brokerages may choose to not negotiate on their commissions and stand firm. This is fine, it doesn't violate any laws. I have people try and negotiate with all the time and I say no.

Really what it should say is commissions are not fixed. They may or may not be negotiable depending on an individual agent or brokerage's policies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals