Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 08:07 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times

Advertisements

What's the website to search for a certain agent to make sure that they are legit. I used it before, but can't find it now. It's for FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 08:14 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,897,694 times
Legit as in they hold a valid real estate license? myfloridalicense.com

Old 06-21-2008, 08:22 PM

If they don't hold a license, can they still sell homes? Reason I'm asking is b/c I have my house listed on Craigslist and a women says she works for Keller Williams and would like to show my house. I can't seem to find her info and the office is only open M-F. I'm out of town, so my neighbor was just going to let her in.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:24 PM

I found it. Thanks for the info! You never know these days.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:07 AM

153 posts, read 312,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
If they don't hold a license, can they still sell homes? Reason I'm asking is b/c I have my house listed on Craigslist and a women says she works for Keller Williams and would like to show my house. I can't seem to find her info and the office is only open M-F. I'm out of town, so my neighbor was just going to let her in.
No.

In each state there are special circumstances where an unlicensed individual may represent the seller. Never the buyer.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:43 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Check also the public records for any criminal convictions...you don't want a convicted felon in your home while you are away!!! I had it and she had a license and was 3x convicted!!! Just to be safe on your part. You can also check local title companies and get referrals, they work with realtors all the time and know which once are selling more, so IMO they have more experience. Good Luck.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:35 AM

11,828 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnosticCyn View Post
No.

In each state there are special circumstances where an unlicensed individual may represent the seller. Never the buyer.
Really? I always thought you cannot practice real estate without a license from the the state where the property is.

What circumstances/states allow this?

Old 06-22-2008, 12:42 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Really? I always thought you cannot practice real estate without a license from the the state where the property is.

What circumstances/states allow this?
If you work for a builder as an employee in North Carolina, you do not have to be licensed.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:00 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
If you work for a builder as an employee in North Carolina, you do not have to be licensed.
True, but the onsite person is not representing the seller -builders are self-sellers.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:18 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I heard that anything a sales person tells you when that person isn't licensed...they aren't responsible for it and that is the reason why builders hire people with no license...so make sure everything in the sales office what is important to you, is written down so you have proof.

I know about a case of people asking the sale person if a pool would fit in the back yard of the $ 350,000.- home in Florida (bigger home in one of the nicest communities). The sales rep. said "yes" and when they applied for a pool to be build after closing, the permit was denied by the County and by the HOA since the back yard was too small and the survey was wrong...More people had it and a lawyer was hired and nothing could be done against the builder since the sales rep. wasn't licensed. That was one of the reasons there were more issues, but I learned from sitting in that meeting and hearing about all of this, since this can affect a resale too since they are now aware of the issue and have to disclose it for future sales (if asked about a pool).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals