Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 10:31 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,152 times

Advertisements

We were in a rental condo for a year and knew it was on the market. We agreed to showings only w/24 hour notice due to our work schedules and the fact that we had dogs. Advised both LL and Realtor we would not be held responsible for any 'mishaps'...such as dogs teeth sunk into ankles or legs.
They were very accommodating at all times. Only had one conversation w/a rude Realtor and our bottom line to her was 'take it or leave it, you enter w/out notice you'll be served by the Sheriff for trespassing'. Never heard from her again. It's all good.
Koale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 03:05 PM

3 posts, read 11,151 times
What if the owner/landlord wishes to sell the property? We are in a situation similar, our lease is up in June (end of June). The owner is on us daily wanting to put it on the market in May with a lockbox. We do not want a lockbox and even would rather not have to deal with any of it until June but they are being persistent! Can we refuse without suffering financial repercussions (this is the same landlord who has not fixed the spa that we have only been able to use for approx 6 months out of the 2 years we have leased it)

Old 04-25-2011, 05:43 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,670,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by becca0505 View Post
What if the owner/landlord wishes to sell the property? We are in a situation similar, our lease is up in June (end of June). The owner is on us daily wanting to put it on the market in May with a lockbox. We do not want a lockbox and even would rather not have to deal with any of it until June but they are being persistent! Can we refuse without suffering financial repercussions (this is the same landlord who has not fixed the spa that we have only been able to use for approx 6 months out of the 2 years we have leased it)
If your lease does not specify that you must allow a lock box then you do not have to allow one. However you must cooperate with showings.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:35 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,580,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
...However you must cooperate with showings.
And there is usually some requirement for prior notice of a showing (or any access request by the landlord or their agent). Here it's 48 hours. Check your state tenant/landlord laws.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:53 PM

4 posts, read 7,171 times
Question, gave 30 days notice at the end of June and a lockbox was put on our door last Monday. My daughter called me frantically stating that strangers were in our house! Turns out, realtors were there to show the house WITH MY CHILDREN (ages 17, 13, 12) in it! They gave no written or oral notice. I am very upset. On top of that, I got a call last Thursday on my personal cell phone from a realtor wanting to show the house. I asked how she got my number and told me the property management company had both mine and my husbands number on the realtors site! Is there any recourse that I have?

Old 07-16-2012, 08:55 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,685,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carole9695 View Post
Question, gave 30 days notice at the end of June and a lockbox was put on our door last Monday. My daughter called me frantically stating that strangers were in our house! Turns out, realtors were there to show the house WITH MY CHILDREN (ages 17, 13, 12) in it! They gave no written or oral notice. I am very upset. On top of that, I got a call last Thursday on my personal cell phone from a realtor wanting to show the house. I asked how she got my number and told me the property management company had both mine and my husbands number on the realtors site! Is there any recourse that I have?
How are they supposed to notify you they're showing the house, if they can't *call* you?

A showing without any notice is a separate & serious issue. If the MLS listing was filled out properly ( tenants rights, 24 hr notice), an agent could be fined or have their lockbox key turned off for showing a house without notice.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:12 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carole9695 View Post
Instruct the kids that the next time someone comes in to the house while they are there without you telling then that its alright, have them call 911, no ifs ands or buts! Tell the operators someone is breaking in and have them scream and yell until the police arrive. You, the RE agents, the landlord, and the police can sort out the facts later but for your children safety they must be doing this no matter what!!!!

What can and can not be done is base on your state landlord tenant law. Since you have not mentioned your state, really isn't any opinons that can be offered based on facts as we have no idea what may or may not be things to consider. So, what state are you in?

Old 07-17-2012, 10:18 AM

I live in California...I realized that I had forgotten to mention that. Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated. I have kids that are afraid every time the door opens. I have asked that the lockbox be removed and they have avoided all correspondence with me, instead.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:56 AM

Well, I would ASSUME that if there is a property management company, the realtors should be going through THEM and then the property management company can contact US. I did not give my permission for all realtors to contact me when they want to show the house. If that's the case, then why on earth are the owners paying for a property management company to handle their property if they don't want to do their job?

Old 07-17-2012, 11:06 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
You need to contact a lawyer or someone familiar with recent CA law and court actions cause there appears to be 2 recent cases that have turned this upside down.

The first deal with entry. According to CA law, the owner is to provide 24 hour WRITTEN (the law specifically states it must be in writing) before entering. There are some exceptions such as emergencies. Another exception tot he written rule is if they are showing the place. For showing, they can give 24 hour oral/verbal. But the court case was that the law limits this to showings ONLY FOR purchases and indeed the law states showings for sale, not for renting. The court said 24 hour written notice is requitred for renting. I don;t think this was new law but a case where a tenant did say enough is enough and sued the landlord and won.

The second is confusing and that why you need to speak to someone with legal knowledge, the case was about what is an "Agent" and I remebert he ourt said that the agent is the owner, landlords, property manager and in the case of sale or rentals, it is ONLY the RE Agent that the owner has a contract with to show. So if they use a RE Agent to list the place for rent, that and only that Agent becomes an Agent for the notices, all other RE Agents must go through that agent and they can;t all be calling you. So they call that RE Agent or the property manager or owners and they notify you.

The law does let you sue them for harrasmanet if they continually violate the law but it also requires you notify them so I would read the satte law, send them a written notice to terminate the violation of the law and demand they abide by state law from here on out. If they violate it, you have the basis for action against them. If their violation casues you damages and harm such as s caringt he bajebbers out of the kids resulting in some mental help need, the landlord may be held responsible for all that.

Contact a lawyer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals