Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 06:03 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,046,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advocate4 View Post
Re the initial price $165,000 being more than the assessed. Yes, I know, but we followed the realtor's recommendation on that. Between the house and acreage, he felt it was worth asking for that. The $140,000 was the tax assessment, I don't really know how that works in terms of real value of the house, though ... does that normally reflect what the market value is too?

And yes, we are taking care of the remaining incidentals and looking forward to closing. The closing is dependent on the buyer's house in Florida closing, though, so in part I'm wanting to get a better idea of the realities in case our closing falls through and we end up needing to go back on the market. Hopefully won't have to.
Well, market value is technically what a buyer is willing to pay and in a strong seller's market, assessed value doesn't really factor in - or at least it didn't when I practiced in the States (but that was before the worm turned). Now with everything that's happened over the last few years and is still happening in the States, a lot of people are having to sell at prices lower than the assessed value. Sucks, but . . .

Last edited by JustJoy; 11-07-2009 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 06:05 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,753,094 times
Quote:
To clarify -- it was a new *water* heater installed, not house-heater, so no permits needed.
You sure? Just for an example in a NC city, Raleigh (http://www.raleigh-nc.org/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_306_202_0_43/http%3B/pt03/DIG_Web_Content/category/Resident/Housing/Home_Improvements/Cat-1C-2009819-161522-When_Is_A_Permit_Require.html - broken link) requires permits for replacing a water heater. Many jurisdictions do. Actually, around here a water heater requires a permit, but a furnace doesn't.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:31 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,987,379 times
If no permit was required in your area for a hot water heater install - then it may not have been any type of incorrect install by the company who effected the install. It's really hard to say. Frankly, for $100 - I would have agreed to it just to be agreeable.

As far as your asking / selling price - in this market -- WHO KNOWS! In some areas it's been a free fall - I really can't speak to your market. Each market is local.

Cleaning and recleaning is something that simply needs to be done. I know this sounds off but -- a vacant house gets dirty. We'd like to think that it's people living in a house that causes it to become dirty. Consider most builder model homes have cleaning crews come in on a regular basis.

Realtors typically know a lot of vendors (everything from roofers to house cleaners). However, if you did not have anyone (ie a plumber) who you'd wish to use, the realtor can only suggest vendors they know. I find myself in this situtation from time to time. Honestly, I don't like it! It's not my job to act as contractor middle man - but when someone is out of town / state, I know that I must step in to help. Few out of town sellers will return to work on their house.

It's a misunderstanding to think that the listing agent should have the most showings on their own listings. As a listing agent, one of my jobs is marketing. My main objective is to market the property to other agents. Even the advertising to the public I do is basically, a message that says, "get your agent to show you this house!" I even find that most of the phone calls I receive from the public are people who are working with another agent and are simply calling for info. In those cases, my goal is to get their agent's name and contact the agent in an effort to encourage a showing. The name of the game is to get the property sold not for me to log the most showings.

I don't know how to sum up the service you received. It's a difficult market - difficult for everyone!! Worse yet, I think when you (the seller) are out of the area it must make you feel a bit out of the loop - and that must not feel great.

The good news is you have a contact and are on track for closing. I hope the next time you are ready to sell, we are in a better seller's market!
Best wishes.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:48 PM

149 posts, read 553,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
You sure? Just for an example in a NC city, Raleigh (http://www.raleigh-nc.org/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_306_202_0_43/http%3B/pt03/DIG_Web_Content/category/Resident/Housing/Home_Improvements/Cat-1C-2009819-161522-When_Is_A_Permit_Require.html - broken link) requires permits for replacing a water heater. Many jurisdictions do. Actually, around here a water heater requires a permit, but a furnace doesn't.

Well, gosh, I really don't know for sure -- our house is in Franklin County. Nothing about a permit was said, so I am assuming none was needed (yes, that assuming stuff can be bad, I know!). As far as incorrectly installing the water heater, apparently no discharge pipe was installed, and the unit was placed on a piece of wood (under the house) and should have been placed on something that was not at risk of damage like wood can be.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:01 PM

149 posts, read 553,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMichelle View Post
...Cleaning and recleaning is something that simply needs to be done. I know this sounds off but -- a vacant house gets dirty. We'd like to think that it's people living in a house that causes it to become dirty. Consider most builder model homes have cleaning crews come in on a regular basis. .
Hm, I didn't realize that a vacant house would become dirty like that. Well, maybe I'm being overly critical, then. On the other hand, I spent some time working with a friend who had a housecleaning business, including new construction and homes being put for sale, and I know the extent to which we cleaned those places, we did every nook and cranny!

Quote:
...Realtors typically know a lot of vendors (everything from roofers to house cleaners). However, if you did not have anyone (ie a plumber) who you'd wish to use, the realtor can only suggest vendors they know. I find myself in this situtation from time to time. Honestly, I don't like it! It's not my job to act as contractor middle man - but when someone is out of town / state, I know that I must step in to help. Few out of town sellers will return to work on their house. .
I don't think I'd like to be in that position either, being responsible for someone else's property to that extent, but I think there is no choice when sellers are out of state. In our case, clear across the country. We would have gladly returned if we could have, and done the fix-its ourselves, but just not possible, so having to rely on others and their awarenesses, etc. But I figure that some of this is covered by the fee.

Quote:
...It's a misunderstanding to think that the listing agent should have the most showings on their own listings. As a listing agent, one of my jobs is marketing. My main objective is to market the property to other agents. Even the advertising to the public I do is basically, a message that says, "get your agent to show you this house!" I even find that most of the phone calls I receive from the public are people who are working with another agent and are simply calling for info. In those cases, my goal is to get their agent's name and contact the agent in an effort to encourage a showing. The name of the game is to get the property sold not for me to log the most showings. .
Thank you for explaining this in more depth. Yes, I think we had a misconception about how this worked. I feel a bit better now on this score!

Old 11-07-2009, 08:05 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
To clarify -- it was a new *water* heater installed, not house-heater, so no permits needed.
Where I am a water heater electric or gas needs a permit pulled.

You may want to check on that.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:25 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
YOu got caught shooting behind a falling market. Happens to the best of people. And it is hard to avoid. If the agent tells you to do the price drop quick and up front...then he is making his job easy at your expense.

I would agree with C21Bouquet...I don't do the nickel and dime repair stuff. Cut to the chase. Cut the price early and far enough. You will do it later. So better earlier.

In my judgement you were not well served. But that happens.

Close the deal. Go on with life. And get the agent committed up front if you need to do it again. If they duck...fine someone else.

Last edited by olecapt; 11-07-2009 at 09:15 PM..

Old 11-07-2009, 09:04 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Out here a water heater and furnace require a permit. Also out here you can have the contractor come back and correct their mistakes...no cost to you, otherwise it will be a complaint against them with the CCB for failing to install to codes and risk their contractor license.

I completely agree about having the original plumber come back and correct their mistake for free.

I have also seen some bath tubs professionally cleaned and scrubbed and they just never look clean. It's not for lack of trying, either. Not to be rude, but did you clean your tubs regularly? At least twice a month? Sometimes those water stains just build up and you can't get them off.

As for whether or not you were well served, I don't know. None of us were part of the conversations you had with your agent. Your agent may have given you poor suggestions; you may have not maintained your home; or some combination of the two. Only you and your agent know that.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:01 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,897,694 times
I'm trying to figure out why it would cost $100 to get what, two tubs cleaned out. Seems a wee bit high to me, lol. If your Realtor® chose the cleaning people, they should be on them to get back in there to clean them. But, keep in mind, some tubs, as stated above in one of the posts, just don't come clean. I don't understand how it's even an issue in a contract anyway, but, whatever, lol.
As for the water heater, the original installer should be called and back there to fix it for nothing.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:12 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,753,094 times
Quote:
Well, gosh, I really don't know for sure -- our house is in Franklin County. Nothing about a permit was said, so I am assuming none was needed (yes, that assuming stuff can be bad, I know!).
Here, I looked it up for you. Call these folks in the morning and ask: Franklin County Planning & Inspections
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals