Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 06:09 AM

78 posts, read 407,706 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have finally sold our home....yah!! Everything is going smoothly...closing is in 10 days. Our attorney just told us that we don't need to be at the closing. That we just need to go to his office a few days before the closing to sign the papers ...and that's it. I was surprised because we have sold other homes in the past and we have always attended the closing. Is this unusual? Our attorney said no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 06:16 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margeaa View Post
My husband and I have finally sold our home....yah!! Everything is going smoothly...closing is in 10 days. Our attorney just told us that we don't need to be at the closing. That we just need to go to his office a few days before the closing to sign the papers ...and that's it. I was surprised because we have sold other homes in the past and we have always attended the closing. Is this unusual? Our attorney said no.

It's fairly common. The buyer has much to do at the closing, the seller not so much.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:23 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Not unusual at all in Illinois. I honestly can't think of a time when the seller did come to closing. Title offices are generally kinda cramped and all the seller paperwork can be done ahead of time. The buyer should have all their paperwork done ahead of time too, but the sign off onnthe funding generally has to happens pretty close in time to the closing so there is less time for them to get ready. More of tradition than any legal requirement but the final walk through and literal hand over of the keys means buyer probably has tasks to do on closing day while seller just gets funds via check or wire transfer, which means they could be anywhere.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:40 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
This seems to be state-dependent. In some states the buyer and seller sit around a table signing things and passing checks.

In ANY state I expect you could arrange to have things handled by a lawyer. However I would be inclined to attend if it was "normal."

Old 04-08-2011, 07:37 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
In NC, about half of my sellers go to closing. Those that do, we are only there for 15 min. Sellers sign a few papers and leave keys and off we go. Buyers stay behind and sign for the next 30 minutes!

For those sellers that do not want to attend closing, they go to the attorney's office a day or so before, sign papers and skip closing.

Sellers pick up their check after attorney records (usually same day as closing).

Everyone lives happily ever after!

Vicki

Old 04-08-2011, 08:50 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
In my area, buyers and sellers have separate signing appointments, and there is no "closing" where everyone sits down together.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:39 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,581,108 times
As indicated, custom/requirements vary across states. It may help to indicate where you are located. I would be inclined to believe your attorney.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:09 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,346,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
In NC, about half of my sellers go to closing. Those that do, we are only there for 15 min. Sellers sign a few papers and leave keys and off we go. Buyers stay behind and sign for the next 30 minutes!

For those sellers that do not want to attend closing, they go to the attorney's office a day or so before, sign papers and skip closing.

Sellers pick up their check after attorney records (usually same day as closing).

Everyone lives happily ever after!

Vicki
sounds like an enjoyable process, in our area a closing normally lasts close to 2 hrs.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:18 PM

297 posts, read 743,305 times
When we were in VA, we never saw or met the sellers with the 2 houses we bought. We preferred it that way. We had some heated negotiations with the purchase of our house in DE, where sellers typically attend closing. We really didn't want them there!

Old 04-08-2011, 07:32 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,872,260 times
When we bought our house, the guy we bought it from came to closing, handed off the keys, signed two forms (Maybe three?) and then just sort of sat there bored and chatted for a bit while my fiancee and I signed everything else and filled out the last of the paperwork.

I kind of wish I had talked to him more and still had his number, he was pretty cool - played in a pinball league, was in a band, etc. Oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate