Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 11:19 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,398,069 times

Advertisements

They just don't think long term. Rents rise. House prices rise (usually)

People that have owned their homes for many years, pay far less than they'd have to pay for rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 11:33 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,445,686 times
The answer to this is easy. Did you see what housing prices did before the bubble burst? In most places of the country, they went through the roof! When people started to think that housing prices can only go up - and the real estate and banking industries reinforced this relentlessly with advertising and unsustainably cheap loans - then of course it starts to feel like buying is the "smart" thing to do. It became so in vogue to think of your house as an "investment" that you can just cash in whenever you need, either the accumulated equity or the whole house itself. Of course, that party didn't last forever.

Owning a home is good - when you're actually ready for it. Otherwise, as millions of Americans have recently learned, buying a home when you're unprepared is like shackling yourself to a giant block of cement and then jumping in the river. And for those people, renting is not "throwing money away".

Old 06-11-2011, 02:00 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,921,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
Being a full time landlord can all the people against buying please explain how I make a real good living if it’s cheaper to rent then buy?
Sure.

I live on the top floor of a downtown hirise. The view from my balcony is amazing. I have a 180-degree, 10-mile view of the Susquehanna River, the beltway, Riverfront Park, mountains, forests, downtown, and too many nuances to count. Since there are no hirise condos within an hour's drive of here, this view is not available for purchase at any price. Within walking distance (under a half mile) of my front door, I can name a few dozen bars, restaurants, pubs, and nightclubs. There's a microbrewery (Troegs) just around the corner, and a brewpub (Appalachian Brewing Company) just past that. My favorite steakhouse (Dodge City; incidentally, they'll be featured on the July 6th episode of Restaurant Impossible) is three blocks away. Four blocks in the other direction is an excellent hole-in-the-wall bar with 40+ micros on tap.

I'm across the street from a major medical center. There's a university one block down and three blocks over. Within a three-block radius I also have the downtown library, an IMAX, at least three theater companies, at least two medium-size performance venues, an indoor mall, a few grocers, boutique shops, two gyms, a few hotels, a five-mile-long park along the river, a mini-golf course, a baseball stadium, two major bus depots (one regional, one Greyhound), and an Amtrak station.

As if all of that weren't enough, this entire area is steeped in history. From my balcony I can see the high-water mark of the Civil War, where Confederate scouts reached their northernmost point. I can't walk more than a few feet without encountering a landmark, historic marker, or historically-significant point of interest. Suffice to say, I've got a pretty great location here. Yes, there are townhomes for sale nearby, but none of them met my criteria. All of them required compromises on factors like view, noise, or parking.

If my heat or air conditioning stops working, the landlord fixes it on his dime. If my dishwasher needs replaced, my landlord does it on his dime. If my roof leaks, my landlord repairs it on his dime. If my drain line clogs, my landlord fixes it on his dime. If the river floods and the basement takes on a few inches of water, my landlord fixes it on his dime. When we get a heavy snow and the parking lot / common areas need cleared, my landlord does it on his dime. When the building needs its regular pest control performed (as all city buildings do), my landlord does it on his dime.

I could go on and on, but it all boils down to these two basic facts:

1 - I have an amazing home in an incredible neighborhood.
2 - My home is 100% maintenance-free.

For this, I pay a very reasonable $850 every month (which, incidentally, includes all utilities). I can't buy a decent home in a similar neighborhood for that price, and certainly not one that will include all maintenance for life.

I'm not building the equity that I might build as a homeowner, but there's one other critical point that I haven't mentioned yet: I will very likely relocate in a few years. If not for a different job, then because my city is currently going over a financial waterfall. When I want to move, I either wait for my lease to end or give my landlord a 60-day notice. My worst possible outcome is that I lose my $250 deposit. I won't have to deal with showing my house. I won't be forced into selling my house at a loss. I won't have to become an accidental landlord. I simply walk away.

The one point some people in this thread continue to miss is that I'm paying for the lifestyle and location. In order to become a homeowner, some of that would need to be compromised away. For myself, paying a little extra (and that's debatable) for this lifestyle / location is well worth it.

Look at it another way. When you chose your vehicle, did you pick the one that best suited your needs? Did you go with the style, color, fuel economy, horsepower, drivetrain, passenger & cargo capacity, and warranty that represented the best overall picture? Or did you just get the lowest-priced car you could find?

The former involves paying a little extra to get exactly what you want. The latter makes the most financial sense. Most people don't choose the latter, as evidenced by the fact that we aren't all driving Hyundai Accents.

Home ownership makes more sense for some people. Renting makes more sense for some people. There is no universal "thou shalt always rent / own" that makes unconditional sense for all people in all circumstances. There are some people in this thread (not you, necessarily) that seem to take offense at this notion.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:04 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,921,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Owning a home is good - when you're actually ready for it. Otherwise, as millions of Americans have recently learned, buying a home when you're unprepared is like shackling yourself to a giant block of cement and then jumping in the river. And for those people, renting is not "throwing money away".
Thread over.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:24 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,625,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
Being a full time landlord can all the people against buying please explain how I make a real good living if it’s cheaper to rent then buy?
Perhaps you bought cheap, inherited property, worked at it, etc. Or perhaps you are in one of those magical markets where its cheaper to buy or rent. Whatever. Its utterly irrelevant to a potential buyer making an assessment as to if renting or buying is better.

Look, I rent a loft in downtown LA that is $1573 a month and includes throwins that average out to another $150-200/mo

The nearest "comp", that is, a sale of an equivalent size unit with similiar locations and amenities...is $340K.....

Plus $660/mo HOA.

This plays out all over downtown LA. Purchasing is sickly expensive over renting. Now some of you may go onto Redfin and say "oh, theres places for $175K" or whatever. And what you don't know is that those buildings(specifically the SB buildings owned by Barry Shy) are in litigation and that financing cannot be obtained on those buildings. And oh yeah, you gotta pay for a parking spot, HOA, yadda yadda yadda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate