Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 05:31 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
When the housing market began to collapse a few years back I saw it coming and wisely sold my house before it was too late. I was one of the lucky few who made money on my house and was able to put it away for a future house.

Thankfully I was able to sell. Unfortunately the people I sold to where not so lucky as the house was on the market again about a year ago for around half of what they paid. I played around with the idea of buying it back but decided the whole transaction would have been too awkward.

My plan was to rent for a while and watch the market and see how far it dropped. I found a nice 3 bdrm 3 bath with a large garage for $1250 so I was happy and stayed there for about three yrs until the market bottomed out. Eventually the cost of renting became more than owning so I decided it was once again time to buy. I'm now living in a a much nicer home than I had before I sold and a much nicer home than I was renting and paying just a little more than the rental cost each month.

5 yrs ago I would tell you that renting was a good option as home prices where way beyond what the average family could buy. Today the market has changed. A 2 bdrm apartment in a crappy complex is $950 a month but nice 2 bedroom condos are under 100K and many 2 and 3 bdrm homes are under 200K. In today's market I feel renting is throwing your money away.

So then, how do you justify the $45,000 you spent on rent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 04:47 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
i'm sure it beats being homeless, don't you think?

Old 05-25-2011, 06:00 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,717,638 times
Quote:
Depends on how it compares to how much he would have spent on interest, taxes, insurance and lost in depreciation.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:26 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i'm sure it beats being homeless, don't you think?

Not at all. This is what he said, that he "made money" and "put it away". For what? : to pay rent with it until he found another house. (he was not going to be homeless) If he had stayed in House #1 and not moved twice, House #2 that he eventually bought was depreciating at the same time. But in the interim, it cost him $45,000 plus moving costs to rent.

Originally Posted by johna01374
When the housing market began to collapse a few years back I saw it coming and wisely sold my house before it was too late. I was one of the lucky few who made money on my house and was able to put it away for a future house.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:46 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Not at all. This is what he said, that he "made money" and "put it away". For what? :
as he said: for a future house

Quote:
But in the interim, it cost him $45,000 plus moving costs to rent.
so? why does that even matter to anything?

as to the money and projecting "what if's"...
what if like 90% of people who sold after he did...
he would have lost a pile and probably close to that $45k figure

Old 05-25-2011, 07:59 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
Not at all.
Well, that makes you the first person I've seen that would prefer homelessness to renting. I guess there's a lifestyle for everyone.

Quote:
This is what he said, that he "made money" and "put it away". For what? : to pay rent with it until he found another house.
You don't know that. For all we know he paid his rent with his income, while he collected interest or dividend payments on the lump sum he invested from his home sale.

Last edited by le roi; 05-25-2011 at 08:47 AM..

Old 05-25-2011, 11:26 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,781,476 times
I sold in 2005, and bought a house in Chiang Mai, Thailand for 23,500--it was furnished. I re-entered the US housing market in 2009, with a condo purchase in Summerlin, NV. Possibly, the best financial decision I ever made.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:03 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I own a home. But... I do NOT think that rent is "throwing money away."

Especially not in the current RE market. Not even in my area, that is still doing fairly okay.

Rent pays for a place to live. Much in the same way that the electric bill pays for power and the cable bill pays for tv and/or internet service.

Why is rent "throwing money away?"

Unless you're being taxed excessively due to your very high income (which is not the case for most Americans) and want the write off, why on earth rush to buy in an unsure location/market?

I am a native of NC. My husband is a transplant of many years.

Both our companies are going through (again) the "we may have some layoffs" thing.

So... we are cautious about buying a larger home. We are looking, and if the right thing comes, we will buy it.

I read all the time about people desperate to grab a slice of the current market wherever they are located. If they don't have a large family that need shelter? I think they're nuts.

Why hurry? What is happening right this minute that makes people wanna buy a house?

I think the market is still sinking somewhat.

Interest rates appear to be good, but unless they're at 2%, I'm not gonna buy a house because of them.

I dunno.

Someone help me grasp this?
It's a sales ploy for lenders, plain and simple. A home is an expense, not an investment whether you rent or "buy" with a mortgage.

Considering only $300.00 of my $1500.00 mortgage payment last month went to the actual loan and my home value has dropped, it seems I'm not doing much better than a renter.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:13 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,398,918 times
Depends on what you can rent, and how long the rent stays the same. The "investment" aspect of a home is somewhat secondary. I've always viewed buying a house in these terms.

1) I'm in it, and don;t have to move anymore
2) I can modify things in a minor or major way, If I choose to
3) Some stability, and fairly predictable costs.
4) I view it as a "hedge" against inflation, not necessarily a true investment.

Given the choice of renting a 3 bedroom house for $1700 a month, or buying the same house with total monthly costs of $1200 or so, I'll take the latter. I realize that savings is a key to maintaining a house, because roofs do need replacing, and there are many other things to care for. I'll also take the house deductions thank you, because I need them too

Old 05-25-2011, 04:14 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
and we're off to the races again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate