Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 05:29 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,516,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
and Martha, you will find that whenever you hit a nail directly on it's warped head, you will strike a major nerve w/some in this particular forum. I could not agree w/you more and I certainly understand how pleased you must feel by following your gut feeling. Good for you.
Koale
I so appreciate your comment. I have no negative feelings for the profession of real estate sales - our late mother's home was sold by a competent and ethical and highly sensitive realtor.

I am a licensed clinical social worker (MSW, LCSW). I do not feel defensive when someone criticizes social workers. Why should I? Some are great, some OK, some not good, some horrible. Same with the real estate profession. I wanted to vent about what happened to me and also say that I really learned a good lesson - don't ignore your own research and gut feelings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
But it didn't sell at the appraised or even the agents suggested price? I missed that, can you let me know when it was listed/how much/what price reductions happened so we can have the rest of the story? Pricing is just opinion, some agents are very good, some aren't. Some appraisers are very good at it, some are not. Some owners are realistic, some are not. I don't think there is enough information to pass judgment on anyone here.

See my more recent posts. We never had it listed EVER. We didn't want to sell for a few more years at least.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
So, your house was listed for two years, and it didn't sell....at any price.

I am glad that you feel better with a 750 estimate in hand.

You are happy. Let's take some of that extra $100,000 you have in hand and have a party. No sense carrying a grudge because some people were lower than your personal estimate, is there? A few drinks with the extra money you have in hand will go a long way toward smoothing the ruffled feathers.

Nicely done....and thank you.
No, it was NEVER EVER listed, never on the MLS, never a sign, never wanted someone to offer to buy it.....etc.

The estimate was not $750K (by the appraiser). It was $700K by the appraiser, a top rated appraiser. But it was too low from the sale of the house next door which got $740 in worse condition.

Not carrying a grudge. Just wanted to say that the realtors we signed an (unused) contract with were not as nice or decent as they wanted us to believe, that's all. No reason I can't report that and vent. It was others here, some, who posted and whose reaction was that I could not possibly know what was going on.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
I think this post is the equivalent of "ninny, ninny, boo-boo." If you want to interpret the reactions as striking a nerve, well, okaaaaay.

As others have said, anything you say is moot, until you have a contract in hand. After all, value is what someone is willing to pay.........so far, no one is willing to pay.

Wanna play ring around the rosie next?
No one was willing to pay? Are you serious? We refused to offer it for sale. I have explained that at least 4 times now.

It was never for sale. Ever.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Yes, fortunately I'm a Clemson grad and USC is our rival.

There's no way I'm wasting time on that thread. I don't care if the OP had an appraisal done. If she was on the market 2 years at a lower price and never sold that appraisal isn't worth the paper it was printed on.

As I carefully explained in my original and current thread IT WAS NEVER UP FOR SALE EVER EVER. Never on the MLS, never shown, not up for sale.

I have explained all that in detail as to why.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
1) The house didn't sell over two years at any price correct?

2) Until you have an offer this is not the "value" of your house....

3) You seem like quite an annoying customer, the kind that haggles over 50 cents incessantly and calls 20x a day.....

Answer: I signed a contract. I explained that I told realtor DO NOT PUT IT ON MLS, do not offer it for sale, do not show, no sign, no nothing. We are not moving now. Or for a few years.

Long story that I do not wish to repeat. It is all documented in the original thread and this one somewhat.

I don't blame you: The original thread was deleted by Administration.

So here goes: I signed a contract and IMMEDIATELY told them we are NOT SELLING THE HOUSE PERIOD.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanJoe2 View Post
I fear for the seller who IS ignorant, when it comes to listing their home. They stand to lose a significant amount of money. Many of your points describe our recent experiences in selling our house. Thank goodness we'd done our homework prior to listing. We sold in less than 2 weeks for almost 100% of asking price, after our agent threatened to quit when we passed on an offer made in the first 24 hrs for for tens of thousands less. The amount of head-butting and push-back with our realtor throughout this whole process was unbelievable.

I thank you for telling this story: One day we WILL be ready to truly sell and I need to be prepared for such a scenario.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:00 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
As I carefully explained in my original and current thread IT WAS NEVER UP FOR SALE EVER EVER. Never on the MLS, never shown, not up for sale.

I have explained all that in detail as to why.
I think this is the part that was confusing a lot of people.

I certainly have no idea who's right in this situation. You? The real estate agents you hired? The appraiser you hired? None of these parties are infalable and I'm certainly not interested in defending any of them. I've seen appraisers get values wrong and I've seen real estate agents do the same and I've seen homeowners get the value of their home wrong. It's not an exact science. Of course, two years later the market is not likely the same as when your agents gave you this value. So, in the end, there's no way to know really who was correct.

Does it really matter though?

Old 07-15-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I think this is the part that was confusing a lot of people.

I certainly have no idea who's right in this situation. You? The real estate agents you hired? The appraiser you hired? None of these parties are infalable and I'm certainly not interested in defending any of them. I've seen appraisers get values wrong and I've seen real estate agents do the same and I've seen homeowners get the value of their home wrong. It's not an exact science. Of course, two years later the market is not likely the same as when your agents gave you this value. So, in the end, there's no way to know really who was correct.

Does it really matter though?
I think it DOES matter. Because, and I do not want to go over the reasons why again, as I amply explained them before, in detail, I signed and my husband and I were dismayed at the price given and soon after spoke to the neighbor whose (empty, in worse condition) house was going for far more, all confirming our original belief that the value of the house was never $650K. And what I maintain, and what annoyed to death some of the realtors here - not all, but some and they really got defensive with me - is that our so-called wonderful realtors were after a quick 6% from some pretty stupid customers: Us!

Sorry, this will offend some but I maintained it then and maintain it now.

Now, Mike, I am dying to hear these words from you: Maybe I am not wrong that they were sleazy. I know that they were. It was not an innocent error. They wanted to see if they could sell this house fast and low. They had a buyer in less than a day for heaven's sake. I knew that at that price of COURSE they would.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:22 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Martha Anne,

Your writing style is incoherent. The agents and consumers alike that questioned your rant reacted to this style of communication from you. If you had clearly stated that while you signed the listing agreement you immediately withdrew it...your rant would have made a lot more sense.

You've thrown out a couple of times that you have an MSW and I'm throwing out that I have a MS in Counseling and worked as a therapist for many years. I have to say it is emotionally unhealthy for you to be so obsessed with this situation that you come back and write a thread 1 1/2 years later. Your need for acknowledgement of your righteousness from random strangers online isn't healthy. Seriously. It isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate