Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 10:49 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
You might want to sell your property. It sounds like the area is out of control anyway -- not like you originally hoped it would be. But, do not sell cheaply. The person who you think is harassing you has deep enough pockets that you can ask a hefty price, so ask for 1.3 to 2 times what the property would appraise for. But only if you can locate other properties that you might like that would cost less than that. Then it will be put up or shut up time for her.
Yes, that is certainly something we have thought about, luv4horses. And I would put the price way up there - the land itself would be a nice hunka cash. But the truth is . . . I love it here. We are at the edge of Pisgah National forest and the land actually has virgin timber on it - HUGE trees and indigenous rhododendron all over. It is magical (for me, anyway). Plus, my elderly parents have a summer home about 20 mins from here and until they sell their place, we like being nearby to check on them. Most of all, my son has a job here and they live less than 10 minutes from this house, so we often have meals together. I am enjoying it as long as I can.

As far as an investment, the smart thing to do is sell it now and make as much money off it as possible but my heart says no. Maybe I am foolish but I keep thinking - things are going to change . . . folks die, get divorced, have serious illnesses . . . this crazy crap can't continue forever. Maybe I am wrong. I will give it some serious thought b/c I know you are advising the rational move to make and it would be nice to make enough money to pay off the rest of the mortgage on the main house and have no debt going into retirement, which is still more than a decade for me, but not so much for hubby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
If you have a good idea of her usual route around your property you need to find a good spot to dig a 18-24" trench and cover it. If you're not where you belong and trespassing, you get what you get. A broken hip should slow her up and give her much more important things to worry about.
Mikey, I love that and love the way your mind works, as well. <snicker>

I am stringing up some wire at shin height around the property . . . "to discourage the bear."

Old 08-22-2012, 11:24 AM

3,720 posts, read 10,000,687 times
Just remember, if someone gets injured on your property, you can be held financially responsible. Even if they are trespassing.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
Just remember, if someone gets injured on your property, you can be held financially responsible. Even if they are trespassing.
Yep. Very true. I guess it would be a battle of the lawsuits from that point on.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:17 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
Adverse possession? LOL. She is playing with your ignorance of the law. The only way it would be adverse possession is if you went to court and they gave the land to her. Start posting no trespassing signs.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Adverse possession? LOL. She is playing with your ignorance of the law. The only way it would be adverse possession is if you went to court and they gave the land to her. Start posting no trespassing signs.
The HOA won't allow posting of any signs, including No Trespassing signs. I checked on that years ago and again in May.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:43 AM

Someone in a golf cart just came up and examined my Jeep. I sit where I see out the window facing where the Jeep is parked. I suspect that was the GM himself but couldn't tell from here.

I decided that I had probably played chicken long enough and I just have feeling that egos are now involved b/c of my non-compliance w/ their demands that I move the Jeep . . . Hubby will be up this evening and he has already said he is taking the Jeep in for detailing. What is so ironic . . . this IS the vehicle we purchased for our son while he was going to college here and we decided recently to sell it but thought it would be fun to use it this summer. So the blame Jeep is not even going to be here much longer (assuming it sells).

I broke down and called this morning and left a message that anyone who was concerned about the location of my Jeep should be informed that hubby is coming in this evening and will relocate the vehicle.

I have a '97 Miata convertible that I usually keep up here, but didn't bring it up this summer. Last summer, like a fool, I left for two weeks and forgot to lock the car. When I returned, "someone" had taken our garden hose, pulled it up to the Miata, and deluged the interior with water. So of course, I came back to mold growing like a forest. That took many weeks to completely mitigate.

They had the audacity to leave the hose laying there in the driveway -- didn't even bother to hide their tracks!

I called the guard house to report the malicious vandalism and was told that it had been raining a lot and no way I could prove that car had been purposely deluged with the garden hose.

"Someone" doesn't like my vehicles being parked ANYWHERE on my property, even in my driveway.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:43 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
Well, you know what to do. Cameras. The attitude from the guard gives me the feeling that he knows who did it and is trying to blame shift. Stop talking to the guard, start calling the police more.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:31 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
If you have a good idea of her usual route around your property you need to find a good spot to dig a 18-24" trench and cover it. If you're not where you belong and trespassing, you get what you get. A broken hip should slow her up and give her much more important things to worry about.

Good idea. And other booby traps that might scare her but not hurt her. Such as hidden string across trails that snakes or spiders spring forward when someone walks through the string.

Scary noises that are triggered by someone walking through that path.

Things that are stinky and things that look strange and that she would want to touch and then...BAM....pop goes the weasel.

All on your property, on the trail that she takes.

Holloween is coming so there are some neat scary things available for a short time. Skulls, ghosts, whiches, skeletons, headstones. You could create a headstone with her name. LOL.

Stuff that will scare her and startle her but you can play dumb about.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:03 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,546,367 times
I have one question.

Why on earth would you want to live there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate