Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 10:25 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,309,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
How much return should the seller expect for his investment in professional photography?
How much faster will a home sell after an investment in professional photography?
Does the seller equal, or double or triple the investment? If the seller can get the same price in the same period of time without paying for professional photography, isn't it reasonable to consider that expense a waste?

If investment does not create a return, it cannot be for much of anything BUT pride and bragging rights.

FWIW, I don't claim to be a doctor, plumber, or ballet dancer. I don't run Ford Motor Company.
This is a REAL ESTATE forum.
That depends on you, the RE, and how many places you will advertise this home on. If you're just going to put it on MLS and then go in vacation...good luck...Do you not understand your job? I could ask you how exactly do you justify that 3% or 6%??? what services are included? what do you do ( that I cannot do as a homeowner already) to justify this type of commission?

I am sorry, I feel like I am talking to a 2 year old. There is no "bragging rights" involved here. Someone 's career is not a "bragging rights" fest!!!!! what planet do you live on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 10:34 AM

43,315 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
That depends on you, the RE, and how many places you will advertise this home on. If you're just going to put it on MLS and then go in vacation...good luck...Do you not understand your job? I could ask you how exactly do you justify that 3% or 6%??? what services are included? what do you do ( that I cannot do as a homeowner already) to justify this type of commission?

I am sorry, I feel like I am talking to a 2 year old. There is no "bragging rights" involved here. Someone 's career is not a "bragging rights" fest!!!!! what planet do you live on?

Feeling out-reasoned by a "2 year old?"
No worries. I won't brag about it. It isn't that big an accomplishment.

NOW, again, please:
IF a 30 year old sells a house, how much more money will professional photography earn them?

I find it interesting that you point out that the value of the photos is only recognized by my use of them, not by any intrinsic quality standard. It seems that the same could be said of my own photos, of course.
Should I infer therefore that professional photography is not a value-added service, but only an added unnecessary expense for my client?

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 02-19-2013 at 10:47 AM..

Old 02-19-2013, 10:47 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,309,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Feeling out-reasoned by a "2 year old?"
No worries. I won't brag about it. It isn't that big an accomplishment.

NOW, again, please:
IF a 30 year old sells a house, how much more money will professional photography earn them?
Dude! You should not be an RE at all!
In real estate photographs matter, they can turn buryers off or away! You just don't know how what your job entails. I suggest you stop because you are really creating an awful reputation for those REs who KNOW how to do their jobs.
The good thing is that I know for a fact there are RE companies (I work with a few), that have no problem paying for pro photos. So, all you are doing right now is shooting yourself in the foot professionally.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Dude! You should not be an RE at all!
In real estate photographs matter, they can turn buryers off or away! You just don't know how what your job entails. I suggest you stop because you are really creating an awful reputation for those REs who KNOW how to do their jobs.
The good thing is that I know for a fact there are RE companies (I work with a few), that have no problem paying for pro photos. So, all you are doing right now is shooting yourself in the foot professionally.
I'm comfortable that my photos are "good enough" to sell property.
What else do my clients need?

I just counted my toes. All ten are intact. No blood.

Fascinating that you cannot ascribe any real value whatsoever to sellers for your service. Says more than anything else in the thread.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:12 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,361,153 times
I don't mean to interrupt this lovely discussion but as a buyer, I will pass over anything that doesn't have photos. I will also pass over anything that lacks photos AND details.

I think it's funny when I see a posting, written like garbage, such as:

Quote:
1 bdrm
seller motivated
asking 189k
please call
The only good thing about listings like that is that I learn which realtors are pretty useless in the area.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:47 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,894,491 times
This thread is humorous.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:02 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,713,843 times
I hate lack of photos or the one or two exterior shots(as others said, big red flag). What baffles me is I see a high number of incredibly poor shots on listings. Under exposed, extreme over-flash, or the oddest one, wally-vision. In this day in age, how can you take photo like that and not know it is bad. Then again, I know one realtor even two years ago who was still using a film camera, having prints made, then scanned in later. A decent digital camera can be found for under $50, this sort of behavior is unacceptable. As others have said, when you have $10k or $15k in commission on the line, what does that say about your level of professionalism when you can even handle the most basic of task related to a listing.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:50 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,907,446 times
Back to the original question: I can only offer my own experience. My realtor took outside photos of my former house and pictures of the backyard, which featured a crab apple tree in full bloom, posted a very thorough description online and printed a nice booklet to give to interested potential buyers - and planned to run an ad in the local paper and real estate magazine, but instead, my house sold within four days.

I had the right house in the right neighborhood, at the right price. It needed some mostly cosmetic updates to the bathrooms and kitchen, and some interior painting, but otherwise was in very good shape, was within walking distance of four schools, shopping, two parks, and churches, was in a good stable neighborhood conveniently located, had hardwood floors, a woodburning fireplace, a good-sized fenced yard with mature trees, a separate garage with a room built onto it, and more modest but desirable "extras".

So - given other positive circumstances and the right house at the right price for the right buyer, pictures are just icing on the cake. My house was shown to no more than three buyers before I had a cash offer for the asking price.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Back to the original question: I can only offer my own experience. My realtor took outside photos of my former house and pictures of the backyard, which featured a crab apple tree in full bloom, posted a very thorough description online and printed a nice booklet to give to interested potential buyers - and planned to run an ad in the local paper and real estate magazine, but instead, my house sold within four days.

I had the right house in the right neighborhood, at the right price. It needed some mostly cosmetic updates to the bathrooms and kitchen, and some interior painting, but otherwise was in very good shape, was within walking distance of four schools, shopping, two parks, and churches, was in a good stable neighborhood conveniently located, had hardwood floors, a woodburning fireplace, a good-sized fenced yard with mature trees, a separate garage with a room built onto it, and more modest but desirable "extras".

So - given other positive circumstances and the right house at the right price for the right buyer, pictures are just icing on the cake. My house was shown to no more than three buyers before I had a cash offer for the asking price.
Seems you had a good agent.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:02 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,773,178 times
As a prospective buyer, I'd be suspicious if a listing had no photos at all. Is there something to hide? Maybe not, but I'm moving on to the next listing.

Digital cameras can be bought cheap and take decent photos. They don't need to look stunning, since I'm probably looking at them on my phone or tablet anyway.

But please no photos of empty corners. I'm no architect, but I assume that two walls and a floor converge in pretty much the same fashion regardless of the house. It amazes me how many listings are full of this type of picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate