Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 07:09 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,662,370 times

Advertisements

Can you ask the realtor once again about the comps and price, now that you can be more specific and a tad more knowledgable?

The relo company. Do you mean the house was owned by a relo company? Or that your company's relo company they use sold it to you. Either way, it is not unusual for the relo company to take 40% or more commission on a sale or purchase. The idea is for an agent to do a lot of these for the company to make it a good connection. Otherwise, one might wonder what gets them going for so little commission.

Others have already mentioned all the expenses you can loose.

For more expenses....you might want to stop the settlement company's/attorney's settlement work asap...the title search, etc. Various items are paid by buyer and seller in every area so you might not want to incur more expenses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 07:17 PM

11,848 posts, read 34,517,528 times
How long would you live there?

Old 06-04-2013, 07:23 PM

30 posts, read 113,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
How long would you live there?
I am expecting to stay here for at least the next 10-12 years. I just hate the fact that I could be buying a much nicer property with the money that I am paying for the one I bought.

There was hardly any inventory in the town that we were looking in and now it seems that a lot more houses are coming online (encouraged by the price increases, I am guessing).

Typing this out is helping me out. Now, I am trying to figure out if I am having typical buyer's remorse/ cold feet or are my concerns genuine?

Old 06-04-2013, 07:25 PM

30 posts, read 113,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
The relo company. Do you mean the house was owned by a relo company? Or that your company's relo company they use sold it to you.
For more expenses....you might want to stop the settlement company's/attorney's settlement work asap...the title search, etc. Various items are paid by buyer and seller in every area so you might not want to incur more expenses.
House is being sold by the relo company to me. Almost all items are done, I am schedule to close next Friday.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:40 PM

115 posts, read 369,644 times
I'd use the financing aspect to get out of it. Talk to the mortgage lender, I'd try to get them to deny financing. The mortgage is not final until papers are signed. Hopefully your earnest money is in a trust account. The sellers don't want the house to be tied up... Use that to your advantage. If I were your attorney, looking at your best interest, I'd try to tie up the house until they released the earnest money.

IMO you're going to be liable for all the costs incurred on the banks side.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:43 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,902,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorian11 View Post
I am expecting to stay here for at least the next 10-12 years. I just hate the fact that I could be buying a much nicer property with the money that I am paying for the one I bought.

There was hardly any inventory in the town that we were looking in and now it seems that a lot more houses are coming online (encouraged by the price increases, I am guessing).

Typing this out is helping me out. Now, I am trying to figure out if I am having typical buyer's remorse/ cold feet or are my concerns genuine?
what are your realistic chances of getting one of these new properties that are coming online? are any of their prices close to your max approved price? does your market typically have room for a buyer to request assistance towards your closing costs/prepaids?

what if you are now down $10,000, only to end up being beat out on a couple other homes that both you, and new buyers, are seeing as a prime property, and as such, are submitting multiple offers..

just food for thought..

Old 06-04-2013, 07:58 PM

6,888 posts, read 11,279,469 times
Smile In my opinion....

Honesty is the best policy. I would voice my concerns (write them down) to the attorney and your realtor.

Possibly, all parties could put their heads together and come up with a solution - maybe they'll come down on the price; you never know.

One thing to consider also - mortgage rates are a bit higher now than when you most likely locked your loan. That's a point of consideration as well.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:37 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,235,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmermac View Post
I'd use the financing aspect to get out of it. Talk to the mortgage lender, I'd try to get them to deny financing. The mortgage is not final until papers are signed. Hopefully your earnest money is in a trust account. The sellers don't want the house to be tied up... Use that to your advantage. If I were your attorney, looking at your best interest, I'd try to tie up the house until they released the earnest money.

Why would a lender want that type of exposure? Can't see any good reason for it. And depending on what state you are in it may be easier or harder to tie up the house.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:42 PM

115 posts, read 369,644 times
Lenders are amazingly risk averse. Doesn't take much to derail a loan.in Iowa they go as far as pulling another credit check a few days before closing to make sure you didn't commit to any large purchases that would affect your dtir

Old 06-04-2013, 08:58 PM

10,060 posts, read 18,153,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmermac View Post

Wow, unethical if not illegal. Why on earth should the sellers have to refund the earnest money when it is the BUYER who decided she no longer wants the house?

OP, it sounds like you're trying to do the right thing even if it means losing your earnest money. I hope that continues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate