Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 12:23 AM

936 posts, read 2,203,610 times

Advertisements

Hopefully the relo company will defend their client's interests and sue for specific performance and/or damages. You never know what they will do.

This isn't a game. You need to be mature when buying a house and not go around screwing other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 06:05 AM

1,155 posts, read 3,390,898 times
Victornai11, lesson learned! Not to chasten what you already learned, but be sure and find a great buyers agent and one you can build a personal relationship and trust, with and one with a proven track record. All real estate is local, and normally around here, I would always start lower and negotiate to an agreed stopping point and maybe your agent knew full well the market worth?
You will more than likely loose your deposit and all the other fees, and being happy is important and its sometimes normal to have buyers remorse, so be a little more patient this round and make sure you are comfortable and have your agent show you everything that compares for the price your spending and good luck. Keep us posted.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:24 AM

3,044 posts, read 5,004,696 times
There's also a good chance that your loan has a section that says you have to pay X% if you get approved and decline, to cover their costs.

I'd take every document you have to your attorney.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:01 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,348,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousah View Post
Hopefully the relo company will defend their client's interests and sue for specific performance and/or damages. You never know what they will do.

This isn't a game. You need to be mature when buying a house and not go around screwing other people.

is ti common in your area to sue for specific performance? when I spoke to my lawyer in my area she told me its pretty much never done in residiental property and would cost 20K in legal fees to do it and take a year or so.

what are the damages? house off the market for 1 month. please quantify with proveable facts.

I don't think its a great thing to back out of a contract, however, there are always some out and life goes on.

I would guess some penelty will be paid and my guess is this can be settled for less than the items that the OP discussed (again assuming all the facts they are posting are accruate regarding work needed done, vs price of current move in ready houses)

Old 06-06-2013, 09:26 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,622,782 times
what is "relo company"

Old 06-06-2013, 10:24 AM

6 posts, read 31,775 times
Use your attorney. Typically they will keep your earnest money and could eventually sue you for damages if they don't sell the house to someone else in reasonable time. Or if they sell it and get substantially less, in theory, they could sue you for the difference.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:04 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,178,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Two car garage is necessary for decent resale.
That depends on the area. In my neck of the woods, two car garages are extremely uncommon. My old neighborhood in suburban MD has NO garages at all and the houses still sell quickly because of the location near Metro.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:51 AM

936 posts, read 2,203,610 times
Quote:

is it common in your area to sue for specific performance? when I spoke to
my lawyer in my area she told me its pretty much never done in residiental
property and would cost 20K in legal fees to do it and take a year or so.
What usually happens is that the seller's attorney files the lawsuit but doesn't follow through on it. They can do that rather inexpensively. That effectively destroys the buyer's ability to get a mortgage, so the threat of a lawsuit will oftentimes force the buyer to settle.

Quote:

I don't think its a great thing to back out of a contract, however, there are
always some out and life goes on.
There isn't always an "out", especially this close to the closing. If there was always a way to get out of a contract then contracts wouldn't even be necessary.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:54 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,177,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorian11 View Post
Thanks, this is kind of what I was looking for. The only thing that I have paid for right now is the inspection, and half of the attorney fee. The mortgage lender has paid for the appraisal, and not sure who has paid for the survey, title search etc. but that has been done as well.

I am not going to use the same agent again as I don't think he has acted in my best interest. He suggested a very high initial offer price, did not want me to negotiate on the inspection repairs etc. I have not read anywhere that I owe the buyer's agent anything if the deal does not go through.

You will probably be sued by both real estate agents since they did their job. They have expenses too that must be recouped.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:01 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,177,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Personally to me this comes down to a business decision. If you think the penalties from backing out are better than going through with buying then you do so.

That is fine as long as the banks, agents, lawyers, sellers. inspectors, title clerks, appraisers are made whole by reimbusing them for all thw work they have done to date. All of the work has been done on consignment and they expect to get paid on the day of closing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate