Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 03:29 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,013,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
I dont perceive it be rude or inconsiderate at all.
Nobody gives a flying you-know-what whether you (as the person with the kids) perceives it to be rude or inconsiderate. What's at issue is whether the owner of the house does.

Quote:
I think its perfectly acceptable.
Again, irrelevant.

Quote:
If sellers don't like it, tough luck...I'd use a 4 letter word here but it would be starred out. I am the buyer, the customer, its my way or the highway.
Feel free to take that highway of yours. And don't let my front door hit you in the ass on your way out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 03:33 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,265,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Nobody gives a flying you-know-what whether you (as the person with the kids) perceives it to be rude or inconsiderate. What's at issue is whether the owner of the house does.

Again, irrelevant.

Feel free to take that highway of yours. And don't let my front door hit you in the ass on your way out.
You are SELLING your house....I have the money you want. If you want to alienate your customers feel free...but it is what most people consider stupid. I can see you are not in sales. Like it or not - families with kids buy houses - and like it or not - We dont ask, or care, whether or not the seller cares if I bring them.

You can be offended but the only way to prevent it is to make it crystal clear to your agent that kids are not allowed. Otherwise - guess what? You are not even going to know about it.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:49 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
It is no different at all than a waiter being annoyed at having a customer with kids
disturb the process and annoy the experience of other patrons.
Its part of your job. If you cant handle that you choose the wrong profession.
Perfect analogy and a perfect example of a rude imposition by alleged adults.
Don't push others into accepting your rudeness.

Third attempt:
People with kids young enough that they can't safely be left to themselves for 30 minutes
--whether that is in the car at the curb in front or at the neighborhood playground down the street--
need to recognize their social responsibility when these adult activities come up: Get a sitter.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:59 PM

15,574 posts, read 40,421,118 times
I work with a lot of families and 95% of my buyers bring their kids. My rules are simple. You are expected to manage your kids if you bring them along. I've only had to step in once with a parent that wasn't watching their three year old so I did. That is the only issue I have had in 10 years as an agent.

Depending on the age and temperament of the children we may only see 2-3 homes at a time. Some kids can handle a lot of transitions better than others and can get through 4-6 homes easily.

We've had kids fall asleep in cars, and we tag team parent looking through the house if that happens. One parents stays with their children, the other does a quick walk through. Then we switch.

I can say that the parents I work with rarely give their child's opinions on the house any thought. They typically do it because they can't find daycare quickly. Homes that come up on the market need to be seen that day or the next. It is such a non-issue. I've only had one seller, who was home, follow us around the house because she was freaked out by the kids being in her home.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:07 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,382 times
I'm fine with it. The last house I sold the parents waited to make an offer until their 13 year old daughter saw it. One look at the kid's room painted purple and it was a sale. Maybe they would have bought it anyway, but letting their daughter have input meant she felt it was her house too.

Most people do care that their children be comfortable in a house before they make an offer. No, the kids aren't paying the mortgage or anything, but they do have to *live* there and will likely be returning from time to time even after they move out. Taking their wishes into consideration -- not letting them dictate the choice -- is only polite. You wouldn't buy a house without showing it to your spouse (except under special circumstances), why treat other members of the family without consideration? Kids who are excited about a new house, and not sold a pig in a poke, are going to adjust better and be more cooperative during the move.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:15 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times
Bring your kids to the home you are seriously considering, maybe. But we didn't do this until the house was bought.

I would not bring my kids to see a house. You need to concentrate on the house. If you bring your kids, you have to stay aware of them. Of course you think they are fine coming with you, but they could accidentally hurt themselves, or damage something. Accidents happen.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:48 PM

399 posts, read 568,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
You wouldn't buy a house without showing it to your spouse (except under special circumstances), why treat other members of the family without consideration?
I'm sorry, but my HUSBAND and my CHILDREN aren't nearly on the same level. My HUSBAND is partly responsible for the mortgage, my children aren't. My HUSBAND is going to be helping pay the bills, my children won't. EVER.

My husband is an adult... my kids? They're not. To that extent, why not bring the in laws, his twin sister, the rest of the family... why not have a BBQ over there first to see how it feels?

At what age exactly do we start to take the kids opinion to heart? 5? 10? 3? The analogy of the child liking the room because the walls are purple was the PERFECT reason why you don't listen to your kids. I can change the color of a room with a day and $50 and the simple fact of the matter is whether it's pink, purple, pea green, black or pumpkin orange, you'll lay your head where I say you will and NEVER will you have an opportunity to have input on adult finances. Even when you're 40.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:34 PM

400 posts, read 575,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Is this abnormal? We have been bringing our two school age children with us to showings when we see houses as we don't have sitters nearby. Then we have our realtor, so there are 5 people going into the house to look at it. Is the norm to find someone to watch the kids? Mine are very well behaved, but sometimes I notice that sellers wait in the cars on the street and I wonder if they are mad we have our children with us. We don't allow them to touch ANYTHING!!

Just curious about your view on both sides selling and looking.
I enjoy families who come to houses and apartment building showings with the kids. The home the family is looking at will be the children's home too and parent's enjoy the excitement of their kids looking for that right home with them. Seller's are tricky these days because many are not selling because they want to but because they need to, and they are not excited to see their home be sold. And they act a bit nutty when they see children if none live in the home. One thing I hate though is when they try to leave the kids alone in the car, that so irks me! Now the sellers kids can be fun too, we had a 9 yr old walk us through his home and told us EVERYTHING wrong with it. It was so funny watching his parents trying to be cool, using the parent voice to get him to go to his room and he just kept going. We weren't sure if he was trying to make sure we didn't buy a bad house or if he was trying to keep his house from selling. We ended up creating a friendship behind that walk through and bought the house.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:35 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,912,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I have to respectfully disagree with you on that one. School age children are not going to be a major problem. I am not referring to toddlers or babies in diapers. Why shouldn't they have any input on the home that they might live in ??
I'm not really sure what you're disagreeing with. I clearly stated an opinion for myself. I don't really care to get my 3 year old's input on what home they might live in, nor do I care to spend time carrying or corralling them in a home I am considering to buy. If my kids were older I would probably involve them in the process but I don't have a super strong opinion one way or the other.

And as a seller I'm more concerned with jerky adults than kids putting fingerprints on my appliances

Old 10-11-2013, 05:42 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,134,620 times
What a bunch of uptight people. I couldn't have cared less when I was selling. Bring the kids. Bring grandma. Bring your plumber. Don't care. We always tried to find someone to watch the kids when looking, but it wasn't always possible. No one ever batted an eye at it.

And if a seller had an issue with it we would have been more than happy to cross that house off the list. There were plenty to pick from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate