Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 03:21 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,186,174 times

Advertisements

Back in the early 1980s interest rates were in the mid to high TEENS for a while. Imagine that. I wonder if some people then thought interest rates might stay that high forever (just like some people today might think sub 4% rates might stay forever).

But I think the high rates would drive housing prices down. Low rates like now probably affect the buoyancy of today's real estate prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 04:01 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,672,864 times
We had substantial help from a relative... otherwise it would have taken us 2-3 years to come up with a decent downpayment.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:19 PM

31 posts, read 74,278 times
In Indiana, you could get a nice house for $250,000. And the secret is to stay in it long enough to build equity in it. Moving a lot (and thus paying the real estate commission) really cuts into any profit you might make.

We were lucky when we lived in a suburb of Chicago. We bought a house for $100,000 and then, within 3 years, sold it for $190,000. The reason was that the area was becoming "gentrified" and so lots of houses were purchased, torn down, and a new house built on that land. We went back a few years later and found that was what happened to ours. I miss the old Victorian turret we had.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:57 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,378,674 times
The rule of thumb about 2.5 times your income applies to the amount that you borrow for your mortgage, not the total cost of the house. The place I am in now I was able to put down 2 times my annual gross income due to the sale of my second house which I had been in for 16 years and it had appreciated a great deal. In addition I took a mortgage of 2.75 times my income.

I also knew that my income would increase by about 25% when I began collecting social security.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:16 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
Good luck, you will buy a junky house and/or have to live in a nightmarish area.

Thank Big Brother for continually attempting to artificially hyper-inflate the cost of housing......thank many citizens because they think housing price inflation is a great thing.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:50 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,795,280 times
The key is to save and sacrifice for several years before buying so you can save up a good down payment. I didn't buy my first house until I was was 33 years old. I was out of college and working for 11 years at that point. For eight of those years I lived with roommates and finally the last two I rented an apartment by myself. So I was able to stash away a decent amount of money. In that time I saved approximately 6K per year for the down payment on a home (that number includes investment returns). I bought a home for $290K putting down $70K. My husband and my salaries were each in the $50K range at that point (the downpayment was all my money, though). Neither one of us is a doctor, lawyer, accountant or engineer. He is an insurance underwriter and I worked in the educational field.

The bottom line is that I sacrificed in the earlier years in order to get that house. I could have lived in an apartment on my own fresh out of college for $600 per month, but I moved into a 3-bedroom with 2 friends and paid $250 per month. And I gradually increased my standard of living. We then moved into a townhouse in a better neighborhood and I paid about $350 per month for a few years. And then I moved to condo with just one friend and paid her $500 per month (she owned it). Finally I moved on my own for a couple of years and paid $800 per month.

So that's how we did it - bought a $290K house with a combined $100K salary with a $70K downpayment (saved over 11 years when making a salary between $20K and $50K).

Old 12-09-2013, 12:41 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,593,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
Back in the early 1980s interest rates were in the mid to high TEENS for a while. Imagine that. I wonder if some people then thought interest rates might stay that high forever (just like some people today might think sub 4% rates might stay forever).

But I think the high rates would drive housing prices down. Low rates like now probably affect the buoyancy of today's real estate prices.
If interest rates were 19% why not just save up and pay cash for your house? Your savings would double every ~4 yrs on top of what you add every month...

Old 12-09-2013, 11:39 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
I hear this rule of thumb all over. Use 2.5x your HH salary as a rule of thumb. If you are a single person in this economy, making $50,000 per year, then the maximum house you could afford is $125,000. That doesn't buy much. How do couples do it when one parent stays home? I really don't understand how we can have so many houses priced $250,000+ in the US? That would be an income of $100,000. That's doable for a couple in their mid to late 30's, but anything younger than that you're probably not going to break $100,000 take home pay as a couple unless you're either a lawyer, doctor, or engineer.
I think it's very feasible in many areas, especially since most people buying a house as opposed to a condo are married, so it's dual income.

However, here in the bay area, it's ridiculous. 2.5 times for a house means your income would have to be about 250-300k.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:53 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
Savings & investments, inheritances, profits rolled over from previous sales. And some professionals earn generous salaries.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:38 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,988,688 times
How do people do it on one salary? The couple doesn't have huge payments on 2 new vehicles, or high credit card bills and payments on stuff they don't really need anyway. They are not buying 5 buck cups of coffee everyday and overpriced lunches at some trendy but mediocre chain restaurant. People don't need a high priced huge Mcmansion type house. Very few baby boomers grew up in giant houses and some how most got along just fine. 125k will buy a decent house in midwest cities such as Omaha, Des Moines or Wichita. In small towns outside the metro of say Omaha, one could get a house for much less. For some, the small town schools and commute is worth it. Geez I hate this sheep like materialistic obsession people have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate