Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 09:48 AM

991 posts, read 1,520,526 times

Advertisements

I am working on my disclosures and although I have not had any problems with the neighbor in years, I still wondering if I should disclose he has a "difficult personality" or I had a "personality conflict" with him.

The guy does have a reputation in the community for being an arse-hole.

I'm selling 10+ acres, he's on 40+ so it's not like the houses are right next to each other. There have been times I have had the police out to "talk" to him, so there is probably public documentation. At one point I had a temporary restraining order on him.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 10:12 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,347,184 times
I don't have any legal or real estate training, however my laymen's opinion.

1) was anything a property related dispute? ie: issue over boundaries, etc?
2) is there any reason to believe that the issue you had with him would continue with the next owner? ie the complaint or issue you had with him is a direct result of you, or whomever, living in that house?\
3) was there any ultimate resolution of the issues?

you're being vague, not sure why but without knowing the details I don't know if you are going to get a great answer. IMHO boundary disputes, him constantly going on your property and doing damage, would be disclosure issues. Him being an A hole...... that you don't get along with, and every time he/you see each other you fight like cats and dogs, not so much.

In my area there aren't real disclosure forms... they are literally never filled out... so the issue has never come up by me.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:18 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,313,597 times
I wish my seller would have disclosed his interactions with the neighbor. When in doubt, disclose, but you can phrase it delicately.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:23 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
An idiot neighbor is an issue of perception, not a material defect with the property. Who knows - a prospective buyer might be an asshat, too ...

If you have documented disputes over property lines, easements, etc., that's another issue.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:30 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,079,089 times
My old neighbors and we didn't get along. When they sold their house they told the new owners we would be a problem.

The lady who owns the house now and I are great friends.

Keep your opinion to yourself.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:45 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,990,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
My old neighbors and we didn't get along. When they sold their house they told the new owners we would be a problem.

The lady who owns the house now and I are great friends.

Keep your opinion to yourself.
I agree!

In Illinois, anyway, there's no place in the disclosure forms for disclosing a difficult neighbor. Why would you want to disclose something you don't have to disclose? It will only make your property less desirable and isn't necessary (from my experience, maybe it's different where you are).

Old 05-08-2014, 10:48 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times
It tends to fall into a gray area. We were concerned when our neighbors son started heavily abusing drugs and creating a public nuisance. Junkies were hanging around and when we complained about it he started stalking and harassing us. By the letter of the standard disclosures it appeared this was something that had to be disclosed, but I heard from a few agents that it was not.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:31 AM

122 posts, read 306,559 times
I'd rather sell my house than take a parting shot at my neighbor. With a few exceptions, I'm pretty sure that being a jerk isn't illegal and isn't something you are legally obligated to warn someone about.

Property line issues, neighbor has a meth lab, etc. are things I'd probably bounce off an attorney.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:56 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
I'm still stuck on 10 acres
Damn!

Old 05-08-2014, 11:59 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,747,744 times
When I bought our house in 2012, I presumed it was up to me to try to figure out if the neighbors would be a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate