Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree?
Yes 7 58.33%
No 5 41.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 10:26 AM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times

Advertisements

It depends upon what you want the vacation home for and how long you stay there for each visit.

Pretty close to 50% of my neighbors have vacation homes that are a 2 day drive away. But they live 6 months here and 6 months there. The distance is a non-issue.

I'm planning on buying a vacation home that is a serious flight away. Because it is a total change of scenery.

For weekend "vacations" I have a travel trailer and I drive about 2 hours each way, but stay at a different place each time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 01:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
I would say total of 3 hours away or not worth it for a weekend. That would be a 3 hour drive, or if flying, 1.5 hour flight with waiting and security check time. If retired that could be greatly expanded but for more than 3 hours better off just staying at a hotel or VRBO rental home.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:50 PM

124 posts, read 178,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It depends upon what you want the vacation home for and how long you stay there for each visit.

Pretty close to 50% of my neighbors have vacation homes that are a 2 day drive away. But they live 6 months here and 6 months there. The distance is a non-issue.

I'm planning on buying a vacation home that is a serious flight away. Because it is a total change of scenery.

For weekend "vacations" I have a travel trailer and I drive about 2 hours each way, but stay at a different place each time.
where are you going to buy? I heard lots of Oregonians buy homes in Hawaii. Where do you friends have vacations homes? Bend? Ocean Beach?

Old 05-21-2014, 10:47 PM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartbeats & Brianwaves View Post
where are you going to buy? I heard lots of Oregonians buy homes in Hawaii. Where do you friends have vacations homes? Bend? Ocean Beach?
I had decided upon a country in South America, but there have been some political changes that make that less attractive. So, yes, I am studying Hawaii. Lots of people from Oregon and Alaska live part of the year in Hawaii.

Most of the neighbors around me who snowbird are traveling back and forth from Oregon to Arizona. One neighbor has a place here and a place in Portland, so he comes for short visits, long weekends, or maybe a week at a time. About a 4 hour drive for him.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:13 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,393,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartbeats & Brianwaves View Post
What's your take on Kapaau? Are you familiar with it. It's on the Big Island.
Kapa'au and Hawi are charming and picturesque villages and I love them! It does tend to be pretty windy around there but it depends on your exact location of course. I actually wanted to buy in Hawi when we were first here but it's too far for me, having to come into Kona every day. There are numerous vacation rentals in the area.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I had decided upon a country in South America, but there have been some political changes that make that less attractive. So, yes, I am studying Hawaii. Lots of people from Oregon and Alaska live part of the year in Hawaii.

Most of the neighbors around me who snowbird are traveling back and forth from Oregon to Arizona. One neighbor has a place here and a place in Portland, so he comes for short visits, long weekends, or maybe a week at a time. About a 4 hour drive for him.
don't go to South America. Who knows what the country will look like in the future in those type of countries. And people view Americans differently through the years. And if we enter WWIII who knows what will happen.

Hawaii is more expensive but at least you have the safety security, and protection of still being within the United States.
If America already has a tropical island then why go to South America.
And there's always Guam, Palau, and the Marshall Islands is you want tropical weather but still within countries that view Americans favorably.

Or just come to the desert. It might a bit cooler in the winter than Hawaii, but we will be drier and sunnier

Old 05-23-2014, 01:33 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,694,499 times
I selected a location within a full day drive on the interstate. The cost was reasonable and the transportation was reasonable. I have owned it for 30 years.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
I selected a location within a full day drive on the interstate. The cost was reasonable and the transportation was reasonable. I have owned it for 30 years.
where and where? Just me being nosy

Old 05-24-2014, 06:04 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,277,583 times
Our second/vacation home is in Puerto Rico. Not a place we can drive to since they haven't built the bridge yet. Not only do we have to drive an hour & a half to get to the airport here-no direct flights so we have to change flights and then we we land in San Juan, it is another 2 and half hours to get to our house. Why do we have a house there? My sister-in-law lives only 10 minutes away from our second home. We usually only go down once a year-in the winter and stay for about 6-7 weeks or so.

Cat

Old 05-26-2014, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Our second/vacation home is in Puerto Rico. Not a place we can drive to since they haven't built the bridge yet. Not only do we have to drive an hour & a half to get to the airport here-no direct flights so we have to change flights and then we we land in San Juan, it is another 2 and half hours to get to our house. Why do we have a house there? My sister-in-law lives only 10 minutes away from our second home. We usually only go down once a year-in the winter and stay for about 6-7 weeks or so.

Cat
????? So you own a home that you only use a month and a half every year?

Do you at least rent it out throughout the year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate