Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 04:58 PM

1,268 posts, read 3,001,480 times

Advertisements

I love that house....except for the master bed & bath...it really clashes with the rest of the house. Was that an addition done in the 90's to introduce a little Rome meets Vegas To an otherwise classic architectural style?! Everything else, I love. Especially the stonework and yard! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 06:51 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,997,426 times
What a master bath. Art Deco with Greco/Roman columns!

Me I'd keep those cabinets. They were not cheap.....and continue on with Art Deco.

Kitchen isn't too bad....new counters, appliances.

Now that tile.........oh yeah.. screams the 80's Texas style!

Good luck!!!

Old 12-19-2014, 06:52 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
I like the house I picked- has everything at a low price. short sale pray all works out

Old 12-22-2014, 12:00 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
Update..now that we saw it in person, its not love. Probably infatuation. It was a total fixer on the inside and while we're fine with dated stuff we had to draw the line.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:51 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
I've always been "lucky" when either buying or renting as I get that instant hit when the right place comes along and it's never taken me long to find it. But I did have one very interesting epiphany many years ago. I'd been married for several years and my husband and I were looking for a new home. The moment I saw the property I fell completely and utterly in love. It was perfect in every way and I was transfixed!

The only problem was that as I sat there quietly imagining myself living there I came to the awful realization that as much as I wanted to live in that home I didn't want to live there with my husband. We were divorced later that year and of course never bought the property!

Old 12-23-2014, 07:09 AM

10 posts, read 10,498 times
Yes i also think it is a moot point because everybody can like many houses at first site but after that he definitely think about their affordability.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:16 AM

21 posts, read 29,233 times
When house-hunting earlier this year, I very quickly found no less than four houses that I loved and wanted to stay with. *Sigh*. I told myself, "Girl, you better wise up. Three of the four you loved from the outside before you ever visited them. You never saw them for what they really were, the questionable locations, the likelihood of lurking hidden flaws. The last one, might be okay but you better take your time and get to know it first." It was pretty typical on the outside, nothing flashy, but a labor of love on the inside, and had never been flipped. So I bought it, and am living happily for the time being.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:24 PM

436 posts, read 579,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Once again, I've fallen for the first home that I've seen. Though I must say that I've been looking at homes online for several months. This one (a fixer) actually moved me to action.

How many of you are the same way? or do you have to see a bevy of homes to find "the one"?
I have fallen for the 1st home more than once. Unfortunately I got outbid on 2 out of 3 of them and then the ensuing search took forever. I think you know when you walk through a house. I have gotten a tingle in all of the houses I have purchased while walking through the home the first time or maybe on a follow up visit. The home I purchased recently I didn't get the tingle until the second visit, a friend of mine lives down the street and she came by during the viewing. We dropped into this instant friendship chatter about nothing in particular while standing in the kitchen and there was that tingle. I get the tingle and a thought that flutters through my mind saying oh this could be my home. It is kind of an "oh this is it" feeling. In fact the house I bought before this one I said that to my realtor as we walked in the door, oh this is it! And that home was it for several years.

I don't base my home buying on that tingle but I do get it consistently whether I am buying or renting.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:16 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,941,788 times
I know what I want in a home, and I am very picky.

When I bought my present house, a dozen years ago, I did drive-bys of probably hundreds of houses and had my agent show me 26 of them before I found my present house. Poor guy! For me it was really worth the effort, even though I did have to compromise on some features that I wanted but didn't get.

I am not presently looking for a house, but in October I went to one Open House on impulse (since it appeared to be my dream house in my dream neighborhood), and had the opposite experience of riaelise - - it was stunning inside, and had been recently renovated with a beautiful high end kitchen and hardwood floors, had a new roof and HVAC, and the floorplan was terrific. I immediately called my agent and made an offer. Unfortunately I didn't get the house, but I knew it had what I want in a house.

That said, I never, never, NEVER let myself "fall in love" with a house until it is in escrow and has passed inspection. Too many things could go wrong and I just don't want to put myself through that.

riaelise, I am sorry that house didn't turn out to be what you wanted! I hope the next one is.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:28 AM

521 posts, read 733,830 times
I'm horrible with that! I usually look a lot online but then once I see a certain home in person I tend to fall in love even if it's a fixer because I will see potential or something. Then I compare every other house to that one and end up buying the first one. I think I'm the easiest client for a realtor lol. Then we move in and fix it to how I like and then I want to move again for another project. And that happens every 9-12 months since I am obsessed with looking at real estate online. So we move every year or so. Now my husband is putting his foot down and said we have to stay put once our son is school age since he wants there to be stability. So I have a couple more years to get it out of my system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate