Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 09:13 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,903,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Love the comment in the advertisement about great natural light. It probably had holes in the roof and ceiling. I am not normally a compainer but the brokerage needs to know that potential clients do not appreciate the deception and waste of time.
I actually saw that in a condo in FL Top floor view of the clouds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 09:14 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,903,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Links to listings describing shortfalls of property for sale, please. Always happy to learn.
Posting links to MLS is prohibited here. I got an infraction for it.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:36 AM

43,302 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Here's a couple current local listing notes:

"First floor HVAC needs repair. Garage door is off track, do not attempt to open. Home being sold as is."

"Flex space at top of attic stairs IS NOT permitted."
Unpermitted space is a common disclosure.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:22 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,417,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Posting links to MLS is prohibited here. I got an infraction for it.
Really? I didn't realize that. There have been many such links posted on C-D and they usually help the discussion. It makes me wonder about who is running this place. It also makes me wonder how many millions of dollars the owners of City-Data are deriving from our posts. Advertisers wouldn't be here without them. Maybe we should get a cut!

Old 02-11-2015, 07:27 AM

43,302 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Really? I didn't realize that. There have been many such links posted on C-D and they usually help the discussion. It makes me wonder about who is running this place. It also makes me wonder how many millions of dollars the owners of City-Data are deriving from our posts. Advertisers wouldn't be here without them. Maybe we should get a cut!
I can only post two sorts of MLS listings:
Other agents' listings, which then put my contact information, or my own listings, which would get me the boot.

Most listings we see posted are on Realtor.com, Zillow, Trulia, etc, and those sites are allowed, because they are not brokerages and are not MLS.
Sometimes people promote Redfin, which is a brokerage, and I flag it every time for advertising a real estate agency site.

I sort of wish that the RE Professionals forum had a function where we could post and discuss our sites and listings. Of course, being open to the public, that would be advertising and not allowed.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:04 AM

118 posts, read 211,058 times
Yeah the house was pretty bad and I thought the description was pretty off...the point is they didn't technically lie in the description, just left stuff out...

I kind of got a hint from the pictures as there is those little twisty- air freshener's all around the house. It did smell like mold/mildew when we walked through, and there was a french drain in the basement..another red flag.

There was also asbestos. Don't they have to disclose asbestos? Or they don't have to because they don't know anything about the house?

Old 02-11-2015, 08:26 AM

325 posts, read 255,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
^^It should be.
The homepath program offers financing up to 125%. The intent is to have a credit line available to make the specified repairs. The program is based upon HUD minimum requirements, which means the extra money may not be enough to cover all desired repairs and also leaves you with a much larger mortgage payment. After all, you are paying interest for 30 years on the repairs as well. For most people it's a loser deal. (Unless you are in a very high rent area and the mortgage would be a substantial savings.)

Old 02-11-2015, 08:31 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,933,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadwell10201 View Post
Yeah the house was pretty bad and I thought the description was pretty off...the point is they didn't technically lie in the description, just left stuff out...

I kind of got a hint from the pictures as there is those little twisty- air freshener's all around the house. It did smell like mold/mildew when we walked through, and there was a french drain in the basement..another red flag.

There was also asbestos. Don't they have to disclose asbestos? Or they don't have to because they don't know anything about the house?
If you "got a hint", you should not be surprised at all. Foreclosed homes are not for first time home buyer in a lot of the cases.

Why is a french drain a red flag?

House that has not been occupy will have a smell. I call it a the dead air smell.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:14 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
In reply to the OP. NO, it is not normal to misrepresent a house. You don't know what the foreclosure company or bank told the agent to write, or wrote it themselves. There a tons of bank owned properties out there, and the banks either have their own agents, or a list of certified foreclosure/short sale agents that they use. Remember, the Feds can pretty much do what they want.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:56 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,446,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadwell10201 View Post

The only way to know there is asbestos is to test for it. Otherwise it is likely, but not known. They only have to disclose known facts. So if there was an asbestos test done, and it was positive, then that should have been disclosed up front so that buyers knew before they walked in. So the bank had an asbestos test done, but didn't tell you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate