Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 02:32 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,606,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy cummings View Post
As I’m writing this I heard a vehicle outside my window. It was him. I have no idea what he was doing but his truck was stopped for 15-20 seconds right in front of my house.
I’m going to have to put my dogs on a leash when they go potty tonight. Until its light and I can see what he was doing I don’t put anything past him.

I would certainly look into some type of video surveillance as well as bumping up the lighting around your house and along the driveway. I would probably 'accidentally' ensure one or two very powerful lights were positions so they shine directly into a windshield approaching the house from the adjoining property. You won't be driving that stretch late at night or in the morning, so how would you know how annoying that could be?

I think the fence and multiple gates to keep your animals from being a nuisance to his driving would be a good idea also. Cheap-o fencing would be some T-posts and wire animal fencing, but go heavy on the T-post as they provide the most deterrent against someone driving over the fence late at night. They are amazingly resilient and will cause considerable damage to the underbody of any modern vehicle.

Your dogs are not the type that carry stuff around and leave them just anywhere in the yard or driveway are they? Mine do and it is a challenge for me to always check to see what they may have left behind my cars that I might run over if not careful. Sometimes it could damage a tire or flip up and hit the side of my truck. One time they were playing with a board a worker had not picked up and it still had nails in one end of it. That would be a terrible thing to have laying in a driveway at night, don't you think? A fence would certainly go a long way to prevent something like that from occurring.

I know you don't want to throw money at this problem, but if you don't selectively invest in prevention and protection, you will spend much more in vet bills, mental anguish and property repairs. Moving the driveway is the best protection you have IF the easement is flexible enough. I would NOT try to deed out a section of land for them as that just gives them more legal protection for anything they might attempt from "their side of the fence".

If they have "lots" of traffic after hours and early morning, especially numerous strange vehicles, then I might become worried about illegal activities such as drugs and ask the local police to keep on eye on the property just to be safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 03:29 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,779,194 times
Another thought if you can afford it. Find out how much the property sold for and the value of the mobile home on it. Have a thrid party make a generous offer on your "neighbors" place for you. You can always sell the mobile home to recoup some of the costs.

Old 05-12-2015, 03:45 PM

16 posts, read 31,242 times
I found a little info. today. First of all he did not throw anything out of his window, if he did, it was already eaten by another animal during the night (I hope not). I went over my the area with a fine tooth comb. I also found a way to move the docking station of the invisible fence so my dogs no longer have access to the driveway. That took some doing and it looks like I am catching on to the redneck ways quite nicely, but it works and it's temporary. I am much happier, despite the fact they now only have a small section to play, at least I know they are safe and I can relax a little bit.
I found out, sadly, that the hellhound did apparently purchase the property, so that limits my options. For his sake he'd better be up to code on EVERYTHING.
I am not going to allow this narrow minded bully to govern how much of my day I am able to enjoy and I plan to go about my life as usual, but if he does anything that is not up to snuff and it's brought to my attention, I will report it.
I found some interesting info. on the property I purchased, I won't mention it yet, but there might be a happy ending to all of this.

Kittens are failing fast despite my efforts. Heart wrenching.

Last edited by wendy cummings; 05-12-2015 at 03:56 PM..

Old 05-12-2015, 05:40 PM

348 posts, read 416,140 times
Oh, those poor kittens! Had a little kitten abandoned by its mother and left with my fiance's mom once. We bought special kitten formula from PetSmart. One key in their recovery was to wrap them in baby blankets and hold them close to the heart. It helps them to cuddle.

Good luck with everything, and do consider changing your username to an alias!

-T.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:06 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Quote:
Remove the roadway, they'll have access, but no road.

And end up in court and have to put it back. Would be very expensive lesson for OP.

Take uppu itarget shooting, across the driveway.

Big fine or jail for OP for endangering neighbor.
You are not taking into consideration, the neighbor owns legal rights to use that lane as it is, and it is illegal to do anything to prevent their use of it.

What is happening is the OP bought property with an access easement, and when the neighbor moved in he was angry,

The had trees that were partially blocking the easement and they were damaged.

His dogs lost free use of part of his property and he is angry.

They use the lane hours he does not approve, and he is angry.

Anytime you buy property with an easement across it you have to anticipate things like this.

The OP has tried make neighbor suffer and neighbor is retaliating. The more the OP revs things up the worse it will be for him. The law is on the neighbors side. I have seen situations like this where the OP was given huge fines and even jail time.

The only sensible solution is for both sides to call a truce and live with it.

As to utilities there will be a legal easement or they would not have utilities.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:07 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
Ugh, Wendy, I went through the kitten thing, lost three out of five. It crushed me. Hugs.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:31 AM

13,630 posts, read 10,031,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
You are not taking into consideration, the neighbor owns legal rights to use that lane as it is, and it is illegal to do anything to prevent their use of it.

What is happening is the OP bought property with an access easement, and when the neighbor moved in he was angry,

Anytime you buy property with an easement across it you have to anticipate things like this.

The OP has tried make neighbor suffer and neighbor is retaliating. The more the OP revs things up the worse it will be for him. The law is on the neighbors side. I have seen situations like this where the OP was given huge fines and even jail time.

As to utilities there will be a legal easement or they would not have utilities.
You've got this scum lowlife that has attacked a lone woman on her own property, he has tried to kill at least one of her dogs, and you want to be namby pamby over it.

I'm taking it you approve of all his tactics, and his family's.

I wonder why the cops carry guns, maybe they should just bring a lawyer along with them, and threaten lowlifes with legal action.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:38 AM

16 posts, read 31,242 times
For the person above who thinks the OP has been retaliating and making the neighbor suffer: Maybe you haven't followed the entire story, but I have never been angry about the neighbors moving in. I was however, a little surprised to see this huge trailer trying to worm it's way down this narrow gravel driveway, breaking and tearing limbs off my oak tree and leaving one very large limb dangling dangerously overhead and creating large holes at the bottom of the driveway that now forms a small pond every time it rains, instead of someone simply alerting me and giving me the chance to clear a better path for them. Which I would have done gladly. Despite all this I was actually looking forward to having neighbors since this property is so far out in the willy whacks that you about have to about pump in daylight. so having someone to chat with from time to time could have been nice, and the property they purchased is far enough in the back that we would both still have maintained our respected privacy. Rose colored glasses.
I realize there is no law against being anti-social and I wouldn't push myself on anyone who didn't want to socialize. so I just stopped going out of my way to be neighborly.
I hand raked the gravel over the large holes they left at the end of driveway and dragged off the broken limbs from the oak tree. I am still picking up broken limbs from time to time that have been dangling and finally fall.
I have NEVER seen anyone use ANY driveway like they do. When they approach the driveway
they're already doing about 45 mph, they slow down just enough to make the turn, then floor it. My house sits right there to the left, my property/front lawn is centered by this driveway.
I can no longer enjoy working in the garden or having the grandchildren over, for fear of being run over, my dogs can no longer play on that side of our yard because if he sees them crossing, he speeds up to hit them as he already has. So if anyone is "suffering' it's certainly not them.
I just want to thank those of you who have offered some insight on this otherwise bleak situation. It has made a big difference.
I don't want to say too much incase the neighbor from hell himself is following this, but as I said before there might be a happy ending to this thanks to some of the advice and opinions from you guys. Thank you.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:06 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
You've got this scum lowlife that has attacked a lone woman on her own property, he has tried to kill at least one of her dogs, and you want to be namby pamby over it.

I'm taking it you approve of all his tactics, and his family's.

I wonder why the cops carry guns, maybe they should just bring a lawyer along with them, and threaten lowlifes with legal action.
What are the options besides being "namby pamby"? The law which OP is pursuing, get over it or escalation. I think escalation is the wrong way to go.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:59 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

OT is being somewhat irrational. An easement is a right to pass. And it may well be restricted to protect the primary use of the property. For instance gates may be provided at both ends of the property and perhaps in the middle as long as the other owner has the ability to operate them I would also expect that reasonable speed limits can be set and enforced. Any damage caused by a wide load would be dependent on the language of the easement and may well be quite restrictive.

This may well be a very informal easement and may allow OP lots of room to limit its use. That is why the lawyer is important in this case.

But no this is not a commercial easement with all the legal verbiage. And it may provide OP with lots of room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate