Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 06:16 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,214,288 times

Advertisements

Looks like OP lost the bidding on this home. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the other buyer isn't pre-qualified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 09:18 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,825,998 times
Where did the OP update this?

Old 06-05-2015, 10:02 AM

16 posts, read 26,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Where did the OP update this?
I posted an update in the Houston forum which is where I'm buying. I guess they received the pre-qualification letter from the other buyer and chose their better offer. I thought we had a really good chance since we have a large down payment, prequalified, flexible closing, no contigency to sell existing home, offer more than asking, etc. We would have been happy in this house but what I loved about it the most was the great backyard/lot. We'll keep looking for "the one".

Old 06-05-2015, 10:09 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,825,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantshoe View Post
I posted an update in the Houston forum which is where I'm buying. I guess they received the pre-qualification letter from the other buyer and chose their better offer. I thought we had a really good chance since we have a large down payment, prequalified, flexible closing, no contigency to sell existing home, offer more than asking, etc. We would have been happy in this house but what I loved about it the most was the great backyard/lot. We'll keep looking for "the one".

Down payment doesn't change the offer does it? I mean, they get the same amount at closing whether it's 20 percent down or 3.5 percent down. But I do know it shows it being a more serious offer with a greater chance of closing etc. It probably came down to the offer amount, it sounded like theirs was higher? Good luck and hope you find your home!

Old 06-05-2015, 10:21 AM

16 posts, read 26,029 times
Quote:
Down payment doesn't change the offer does it? I mean, they get the same amount at closing whether it's 20 percent down or 3.5 percent down. But I do know it shows it being a more serious offer with a greater chance of closing etc. It probably came down to the offer amount, it sounded like theirs was higher? Good luck and hope you find your home!
Yes, their offer was higher but I can't imagine it could be by *that* much since the sellers were supposedly torn between our offers.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:24 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,639,515 times
Quote:

A high down payment means the buyer is less likely to have issues with a bank valuation of the property. As part of a package it matters.

cash buyer > high down buyer > low down payment buyer

On a FSBO a few years back I took an offer that was 2nd highest because those buyers showed me they would not fall through and I thought they would be easiest to to deal with. they had a large down payment planned and put up plenty of earnest money too.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:25 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,226,396 times
Quote:
Mortgage-killing issues are more likely to happen with smaller down payment loans. All other things being equal, larger down payment loan is stronger.

Old 06-06-2015, 12:35 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,156,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantshoe View Post
I posted an update in the Houston forum which is where I'm buying. I guess they received the pre-qualification letter from the other buyer and chose their better offer. I thought we had a really good chance since we have a large down payment, prequalified, flexclosing, no contigency to sell existing home, offer more than asking, etc. We would have been happy in this house but what I loved about it the most was the great backyard/lot. We'll keep looking for "the one".
Sorry you lost out on the house but you did put in an excellent offer. I suspect the Sellers may have been hoping for a bidding war. People are funny. Could even be something as silly as the Sellers liking the other party better regardless of differences in the offers. Just figure it wasn't meant to be and and you will find an even better house and or price. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate