Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 01:39 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,941,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
If renting was an option I'd already be gone, lol. Unfortunately, the area my house is located in and the amount it would cost to rent (most people who could afford it could just buy their own house) limit the potential market to the extent where I don't even consider it a viable option.

If you can afford to move without the proceeds from selling the house, and your house is viable to the renting market, that is a huge advantage. You will have extra cash flow from your now investment property + the market value of the house and you get to move. Do make sure to consider the costs of a property manager in your figures. Being out of state, you will need someone else to attend problems with the house.
Thanks for the suggestion....I have a lot of equity so then it become an issue of dealing with hassles of being a landlord for at least a decade or just taking the cash and leaving now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 01:55 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,306,408 times
Sounds like you're just DONE with it all. I can see my husband and I having this same discussion in 10 years. The repairs and maintenance are exhausting and you had better be getting something out of the deal or its just not worth it. For example, we bought a house 2 years ago with a .5 acre lot; couldn't wait to have room for the kids to run and play. I can count on one hand the number of times this summer my kids played out in the yard unprompted! (its too hot, there are too many bugs, ect) So yeah, this big yard is getting old... There is a huge amount of freedom in renting; although I'd personally never do it again. Think the HOA Nazis are rough? Wait until you have a Landlord from Hell Regardless, best of luck with your decision.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmeck View Post
Sounds like you're just DONE with it all. I can see my husband and I having this same discussion in 10 years. The repairs and maintenance are exhausting and you had better be getting something out of the deal or its just not worth it. For example, we bought a house 2 years ago with a .5 acre lot; couldn't wait to have room for the kids to run and play. I can count on one hand the number of times this summer my kids played out in the yard unprompted! (its too hot, there are too many bugs, ect) So yeah, this big yard is getting old... There is a huge amount of freedom in renting; although I'd personally never do it again. Think the HOA Nazis are rough? Wait until you have a Landlord from Hell Regardless, best of luck with your decision.
Hahaha, yeah I see your point.

And I have had bad landlords---and I moved. And, yeah, moving can be a hassle, but before I settled down I always moved frequently. I just don't get attached to places and I don't have a lot of stuff. So, of course, I married a location-dependent packrat who hates change

Old 08-24-2015, 01:10 PM

554 posts, read 745,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
I just purchased this home in February 2015 and I was ready to leave by May. I had no idea that the neighbors across the street like to hold weekly Friday Fiestas in their garage/driveway. (while I was in Pending status, I drove by numerous times, day and night, including New Year's Eve, and hung out each time. I never heard or saw anything from those people). They have large speakers hooked up to their garage wall that directly faces my garage. Needless to say, I receive the brunt of their party music every freakin' weekend.

Between that, the dog next door that barks continously every time I step outside in my yard, and the guy next door that throws his cigarette butts in the street (they end up in my driveway and i have to end up sweeping them up) i'm done with this place. The apartment I lived in previously was WAYYY quieter, and much cleaner than here.

I've got a part time job weekends so I don't have to be around here much. I look forward to paying down some bills, putting extra $$ towards the mortgage principal so when I sell next summer I will at least break even.

I spend my evenings looking at cute townhomes/condos for sale to comfort myself while i'm counting down, and to keep motivation high. I can't wait.
... WOW! NewYorkiforniainHouston! ... I swear that you could be living in our neighborhood in Silly-con Valley! You so-appropriately described our neighbors, that it made me go "Huh??"!
Our next-door neighbor built (what he called) a "recording studio" in his detached garage, which has a wall near our property line. His double-bass-reflex speakers are aimed at that wall, and when he and his "friends" get to rapping, the vibrations from his "studio" cause the walls in our house to vibrate.
We've complained (sometimes bitterly) to him directly, not wanting to be the "bad" neighbors who call the local cops on our neighbors. This has gone on somewhat-regularly, for over 5 years!
One of the neighbor's recent sessions involved a very loud, live Mexican band out in the open, in their driveway. They were so loud that, even with our AC running with all the doors & windows closed, we could still hear (and feel) them. We didn't call the local cops - but some other neighbor(s) apparently did! They got shut-down ...
We seem to go through"spells" like this; neighbors will be quiet (barring yelling f-words at each other in their yards), punctuated by random events in one or the others' yard where they pump-up the volume. These days at least, they've thankfully begun turning the volume down, around 9:30-10 PM.

I've told my DW that our next house will not be in as tight a neighborhood as we currently live; here in Silly-con Valley, you can reach-out from your bedroom window and shake hands with your neighbor, in his kitchen.
In our early searching for a retirement-relocation place, I've particularly noticed how California developers cram homes on smaller & smaller lots, which leads to "handshake syndrome" ...
Because of that, I refuse to even consider relocating to any big-city, ever again! But, that's just my preference - YMMV

Old 08-26-2015, 09:36 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,863,540 times
I am so anti-renting at this point. Daughter is living on the Main Line in Philadelphia and rents were going up every year a couple hundred. We had some extra cash so we bought a condo in Ardmore for her to live in. While the HOA raised their fee more than I expected , at least I am feeling better about that rather than her pouring all that money down the drain for rent to feather someone else's investment.

On another note, where is the thread that you and your spouse can't agree whether to move or not. I have been ready to move out of town to a retirement community and wife won't go?? That is for another thread. . LOL

Old 08-26-2015, 10:21 PM

418 posts, read 728,437 times
I sold my house last summer and I'm renting. I love it! Is it perfect? No. I left the first rental after a year's lease. But the current place is great, at least six months in. No shared walls!

Financially, I'm paying a ton more- my house was totally paid off- but I made a bunch when I sold, and I was SO DONE with home repairs and yard work. My new place is just a few years old, so all systems work perfectly, and I have air conditioning for the first time in my adult life. Maybe I'll buy again someday (I'm in my early 40s), but for now, I'm happy with renting.

All my furniture can fit in a car at this point, so while moving isn't fun, it's not a massive process either.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:03 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,625,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Good for you!

Ahhh, see this is what I'm talking about. I live on a cul-de-sac and have a shared driveway. I can't step out my door without seeing neighbors. We have a renter who moved in and I have noticed upkeep going down. We have an HOA, but still, I live in aging neighborhood and it shows.

The HOA is another issue. I feel like they might as well be a landlord, especially since the President lives next door and drives me insane.

I feel like we're in a transitional phase of our life right now. I've got 2 in college and youngest is in last year of high school. Yeah, there's a good chance they will come back for a year or two, but they also talking about leaving the state. The $1000 difference is max. Renting would give me some flexibility to go bigger or downsize as I want. Also, hubby is unhappy in job and our house is holding us back.

I don't feel any kind of emotional attachment to the house. To me, it is a money pit and time sucker. I think that's why I was okay with renting.
Do you feel any kind of emotional attachment to your SPOUSE? Because I'm hearing I I I I , and it sounds like you really don't care at all what your spouse might want. Is freedom from home ownership just one step towards freedom to be on your own, since the kids are nearly all gone?

Of course, I could be completely wrong...

Old 09-04-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Do you feel any kind of emotional attachment to your SPOUSE? Because I'm hearing I I I I , and it sounds like you really don't care at all what your spouse might want. Is freedom from home ownership just one step towards freedom to be on your own, since the kids are nearly all gone?

Of course, I could be completely wrong...
Wow, hadn't thought of it that way. My spouse does absolutely no repairs/maintenance/HOA resolutions/neighborly things, etc. I handle all of that in addition to my f/t job.

As far as I'm concerned, he's already free of homeownership. I guess I just want to reach the level of freedom that he has.

I think it would probably be easier to sell the house and deal with reality (he's never going deal with homeownership issues and I'm exhausted from dealing with it on my own) as opposed to trying to change him.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:21 PM

15,583 posts, read 40,450,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Wow, hadn't thought of it that way. My spouse does absolutely no repairs/maintenance/HOA resolutions/neighborly things, etc. I handle all of that in addition to my f/t job.

As far as I'm concerned, he's already free of homeownership. I guess I just want to reach the level of freedom that he has.

I think it would probably be easier to sell the house and deal with reality (he's never going deal with homeownership issues and I'm exhausted from dealing with it on my own) as opposed to trying to change him.
You sound like a free spirit in your early years, pre-kids. Based on what you wrote here it is time to move. I would meet with a stager though for a consult. They are really inexpensive out here ($300 or so) and they will give you an entire punch list of things to do to get the home ready for sale.

Whether or not your husband agrees to move is a different issue. You might want to consider owning a condo. No exterior maintenance. It would be easier to travel/be free, but give your husband a bit more security in terms of staying put and having a "home."

Old 09-06-2015, 08:11 AM

914 posts, read 1,138,839 times
Unlike others in this thread, my house was relatively new built in 2000, and it had no major problems. It was beautiful, and I would love to live in a house just like it. I moved because my home value wasn't going up at all, rather down, and my property taxes were too high for the value, and the school system for junior and high school are very poor. Having children made the decision easy, but I wish I could pick up the house and put it in a better location. Location is really important, and I had to learn that fact the hard way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate