Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 05:55 AM

85 posts, read 122,445 times

Advertisements

According to me in your case, it sounds like the upkeep of your place is causing too much stress, and renting may be the better deal for you both psychologically if not financially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 12:00 PM

3,157 posts, read 2,734,881 times
I woke up one day and realized that my job, hobbies, and girlfriend were all at least 20 miles away from home.

Plus the fact that I hated my nosy small-minded neighbors.

I sold, left town and never looked back.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:56 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,785,293 times
Pretty sure I sat down in the middle of the yard and started bawling that I couldn't take it anymore. However far from wanting to continue his cushy existence at the expense of my time and effort - my husband was right there with me. Fortunately neither of us is a packrat or overly attached to places. Home is wherever we're with each other - not a structure.

We sold, rented for several very blissful and maintenance-free years, and then the local rental market started getting outta control so we bought a condo in a concrete and steel highrise. Quieter than the suburbs, cheaper than our old house, very low maintenance, full time maintenance staff, pool, elevators, etc. So far it's been pretty sweet. Regardless of buy vs rent, we have decided we are definitely NOT 'house' people.

And you're right about the cost of maintenance - we were able to rent in a luxury building and still spend less than what we spent on our house. Not less than our house payment, but I watch every penny in a spreadsheet, and it wasn't hard to see (besides just having more in our account) that renting was netting us $500/mo. We are actually doing better than both renting and our previous house with this condo, but if we do a major remodel or something - that will disappear. It really was illustrative to see the numbers though.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:04 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,941,823 times
Thanks again for all of the responses. Hubby and I had a sit-down and we both agreed that renting is best. Now the decision is when, exactly, to sell. We did agree that I've been doing waaaaayyy too much of the maintenance. Hubby's compromise is to hire help; but, ultimately, we just aren't house people. The plan is to sell within the next 2 years. I'm okay with that and it gives him time to acclimate to the idea of going back to renting. Helps that I also had a list of luxury (maintenance-free) apartments we could rent in the area.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:17 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,612,280 times
The moral of this thread seems to be that the best solution to the homeowner blues is to buy a condo, but in a development where the one condo is the only dwelling that you're purchasing, on 100 acres with lots of privacy, where you are the sole HOA Board member and president, plus a full-time maintenance person.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:34 PM

3,157 posts, read 2,734,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
The moral of this thread seems to be that the best solution to the homeowner blues is to buy a condo, but in a development where the one condo is the only dwelling that you're purchasing, on 100 acres with lots of privacy, where you are the sole HOA Board member and president, plus a full-time maintenance person.
Sign me up!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate