Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 08:02 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,067,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
These are probably folks that had never had to worry about poverty in their lives so they assume even mentioning it is really really bad.
Let's be sure to add "assumptions" ^^^ to the list of things to be wary of.

My only point, all along, is that despite the self-congratulatory attitude of many here, success is not the reward for virtue with poverty the penalty of vice. A lot of times they both come from luck and circumstance, and the smartest people understand that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 08:18 PM

6,394 posts, read 4,125,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Let's be sure to add "assumptions" ^^^ to the list of things to be wary of.

My only point, all along, is that despite the self-congratulatory attitude of many here, success is not the reward for virtue with poverty the penalty of vice. A lot of times they both come from luck and circumstance, and the smartest people understand that.
You are still making things up. My posts have not at all mentioned the how or why of poverty. People, probably fiction writers, started adding that bit in and assumed I was talking down to that couple when I was just pointing out that the yelling LL is the kind of poop people in poverty has to deal with.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:38 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,777,083 times
Quote:
This thread actually reminds me of an incident I had with the very politically correct leftnuts in college.

First of all, I'm asian and I eat a lot of rice, like everyday. East asian people do that.

In college at this "safe space" one time, I was talking with some people about stereotypes. I was trying to make the point that some statements are facts and that not all general statements are stereotypes. So, I gave an example. I said east asian people in general eat a lot of rice.

The entire room came down on me with a vengeance, telling me to not offend asian people like that. What, there's something wrong with eating a lot of rice? White people...

So, the next day I came in with printed out facts on rice consumption comparisons between different parts of the world. Again, the whole room started telling me to stop putting down asian people like that. These white folks actually thought eating a lot of rice is somehow morally bad and I was putting down my own people for giving a statement of fact.

In a way, that's what's happening here. Many people, not knowing the difference between facts and stereotypes, just being politically correct and assume all statements about poor people are statements of condescension. These are probably folks that had never had to worry about poverty in their lives so they assume even mentioning it is really really bad.
Yeah, I know what you mean.

Just for a little background... I grew up as a poor cracker in Southern Appalachia. So it's redundant to say that I was raised to be a right-winger... that's just part of the culture these days (wasn't always, but that was before my time). But as I've grown up, gained education and life experience, and observed world events... my politics have drifted leftward.

But the further Left I drift and the more I interact with Leftys... the more I see exactly what you're describing. Now don't get me wrong- I'm still disgusted with American right-wingers. But I'm finding that the further Left you go, the more people you run into who are JUST as crazy as those on the Right.

I'm all for a social safety net. Worker's rights. War as a LAST resort. I can even get on board with SOME environmentalism these days (which is heresy in the redneck culture where I grew up). But this social-justice-warrior politics where commonly observed and verifiable FACTS are somehow unthinkable and subject to retaliation because it makes them uncomfortable? That's ****ing crazy and they deserve to be ridiculed.

What's wrong with rice? It's a pretty fundamental component of most Asian cooking, right? I'm odd among hillbillys in that I happen to like rice- most prefer beans and cornbread.

Old 10-21-2015, 12:02 AM

6,612 posts, read 3,684,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
If you want a sobering glimpse of what living poor is like (and who doesn't?), read Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America by Barbara Ehrenreich.

She tried to earn a living working minimum wage jobs such as waitress, a cleaning woman, nurses aide, Walmart "associate."

She started each job out with health insurance, a car, and a $1,000 and was never able to keep up except the time she worked two jobs, seven days a week but she said she didn't know how long she could keep that up.
Yes, I have referred to her, too. Though I have not yet read the book, I recall when she was on Oprah, some years ago. I thought she mentioned too how, while working three part-time Jobs and renting a trailer, (it seems in the mid west), it was proven to not be possible to maintain a living. It was an interesting Sociological experiment... (some should really try walking in another's shoes).

There is a guy, Morgan Spurlock, who in his (old) series "30 days", along with his wife, tried doing this also (for just a month), while cameras documented doing so, finding how difficult and overwhelming it is to get by like that.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:49 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,287,157 times
Quote:
I didn't ask. I'll let them tell me about it on their own. All I know is he yelled at them and they continued to beg to have the place. After a while, he let them sign the lease. Afterward, it looked to me like they were scared to death of him. I'm guessing he made sure they understood he could kick them out any time.
You are making all of this ^^^^ up. You have no idea what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
A LOT more. OP is painting this sister & her boyfriend in a "poor me" light, when undoubtedly they have caused their current lot in life.
Yeah, the sister willingly shacked up with someone with a record. That's willingly making life more difficult for yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If the people are that poor, they can't be choosy about accommodations.
I think that's the OP's point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
But she was not even boasting! Yet immediately, the very first post accuses her of this. She is/was merely comparing and contrasting her to the sister.

OP = NOT Poor
Sister = Poor.

So it goes.

I'm not saying to waive your good fortune in people's faces or something, but merely saying that she owns her own house and "went shopping for kitchen stuff" is nothing to shame the OP over!

Actually it is very "doubtedly." You don't seem to know a lot about poverty. Some cause it directly, some are born into it and cant escape the cycle since they don't have the resources (i.e, being raised by poor role models - literally and figuratively- will not automatically make you a "perfect adult on your 18th birthday), And MOST fall on hard times (job loss, medical bills, etc) and are only poor for a short while, like the poster above me.
I'm on the fence about this. I understand the point that the OP is making, but god, they just watched their family get humiliated, all the while thinking, 'if you were poor, this wouldn't happen to you'.

It seems so unseemly to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
What could you have done?! Are you kidding me? You and your BF could have exited the safety of your vehicle, strolled over to where your sister was being verbally assaulted, and given the landlord the sense of being outnumbered. Neither of you had to say a thing that might put you in harm's way. Had that been my sister, I would have been outta that car in a heartbeat. Just me. I'm a female in my 60s. You had your BF with you, yet you chose to protect yourselves and leave your sister vulnerable. Wow! Just wow! And you think this is about "poor people"? You're wrong. It's about cowardly people.

I'd also offer my sister a place in my new home, regardless of its size.
Even though it's the boyfriend's sister, I'm of a mind to agree here. It's even worse, because the boyfriend is a guy.

OP, I get it. I do. I just don't think you picked the best example to make your point.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
You are making all of this ^^^^ up. You have no idea what happened.
Um... I did say it was all guesswork. I did say several times that I don't know why he was yelling. So... what's your point?

Quote:
I'm on the fence about this. I understand the point that the OP is making, but god, they just watched their family get humiliated, all the while thinking, 'if you were poor, this wouldn't happen to you'.

It seems so unseemly to me.
I'm going to say the same thing I said with other internet righteous warriors on here. Give me your address and I will send them your way. The day that they signed the lease was also the last day her dad gave her in his ultimatum. After that, move out. So, it was just in time.

Here is the thread where I explained a few things about that family. You're welcome to take them in and deal with them.

//www.city-data.com/forum/non-r...-were-out.html

Quote:
Even though it's the boyfriend's sister, I'm of a mind to agree here. It's even worse, because the boyfriend is a guy.

OP, I get it. I do. I just don't think you picked the best example to make your point.
No, you don't get it. Those 2 were at the end of their line. Reacting emotionally to something like that never helps. Sometimes, it's better to suck it up and wait for their time to get better.

Millions of gay youths know all about sucking it up and waiting for their time to come. Either that or become homeless as in the case of my boyfriend. He got kicked out when he was 15.

This internet righteous warrior thing is irritating, actually.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:17 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,287,157 times
Quote:
Um... I did say it was all guesswork. I did say several times that I don't know why he was yelling. So... what's your point?

I'm going to say the same thing I said with other internet righteous warriors on here. Give me your address and I will send them your way. The day that they signed the lease was also the last day her dad gave her in his ultimatum. After that, move out. So, it was just in time.

Here is the thread where I explained a few things about that family. You're welcome to take them in and deal with them.

//www.city-data.com/forum/non-r...-were-out.html

No, you don't get it. Those 2 were at the end of their line. Reacting emotionally to something like that never helps. Sometimes, it's better to suck it up and wait for their time to get better.

Millions of gay youths know all about sucking it up and waiting for their time to come. Either that or become homeless as in the case of my boyfriend. He got kicked out when he was 15.

This internet righteous warrior thing is irritating, actually.

Actually, I do get it. I've have to start over due to my poor choices several times in my life. I am far from rich, but I am not poor anymore. And I would not stand by and watch someone that I cared about be degraded like that.

We are not the righteous ones - you are. Especially with the tired, "I'll send them your way" shtick to people who don't agree with you.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Actually, I do get it. I've have to start over due to my poor choices several times in my life. I am far from rich, but I am not poor anymore. And I would not stand by and watch someone that I cared about be degraded like that.

We are not the righteous ones - you are. Especially with the tired, "I'll send them your way" shtick to people who don't agree with you.
Ok, let's look at the alternative. My boyfriend and I interfered, telling the LL to not yell at them like that. The LL denied them the place.

Your move.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:46 AM

42 posts, read 28,372 times
I am flabbergasted at the negative reactions to OP's posting, and all the snide criticism of the supposed "smugness', "superiority", and "condescension" some of you construed were so evident. I stopped reading at a post taking OP to task for an attitude that that poster tied to OP's not being a true American due to ESL as a 2nd language, or some such nonsense. Where do you people get ideas like these? Sounds like the attitudes of supporters of a certain political party I know of.

The posts I did read were obviously by people who have had no experience of the realities of life when you're behind the 8-ball, whether in their own lives or those of people they are close to, whether due to bad choices or through no fault of their own. To me, that was the core of the OP's posting. I do not get any overtones of the crap you critics are so quick to yell about. If you are one of these posters, and you want to see "smug" and "condescending", go stand in front of a mirror.

Last edited by cameo2491; 10-21-2015 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: correct capitalization

Old 10-21-2015, 10:46 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,632,541 times
I just find it strange that there are so many people without relatives that they wouldn't consider taking in. All of you 100 percent trust all of the relatives you have to live under your roof? It isn't a smug thing. I was just always taught that those at home should be considered first and taking in people you can't trust or that will compromise your home life is something you shouldn't do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate