Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 07:34 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,081,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
But she was not even boasting! Yet immediately, the very first post accuses her of this. She is/was merely comparing and contrasting her to the sister.

OP = NOT Poor
Sister = Poor.

So it goes.

I'm not saying to waive your good fortune in people's faces or something, but merely saying that she owns her own house and "went shopping for kitchen stuff" is nothing to shame the OP over!

Actually it is very "doubtedly." You don't seem to know a lot about poverty. Some cause it directly, some are born into it and cant escape the cycle since they don't have the resources (i.e, being raised by poor role models - literally and figuratively- will not automatically make you a "perfect adult on your 18th birthday), And MOST fall on hard times (job loss, medical bills, etc) and are only poor for a short while, like the poster above me.
... and ...What???

You are making the point I made when I supposedly "shamed" the OP for his incredible lack of self-awareness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 08:03 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,748,396 times
That is the way of the world- unfortunately the less moneyed folks actually end up paying more for items & suffer less than ideal situations/ people etc. That world is hard for those folks to break out of because so many factors work against them. They are the ones that pay finance fees, bank fee's from low cash flow issues and usually cannot negotiate.

It effects all of us unless your the 1% in which you pay lower taxes then everyone else. So even if you think your well off which compared to a lot you are you still suffer the same issues just on a lesser level.

Yes! count your blessings & if able help them to get out from under the thumb of economic society if they are willing to work as well.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:17 AM

590 posts, read 716,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I own my own house. My boyfriend lives with me. We are quite happy being king and king of our own castle. We decorate the house and do whatever we want with it. He and I have knocked down a couple walls to redo a couple of the rooms in this house. So, that's the background.

His sister and her boyfriend are finally moving out of her parents' apartment. They managed to find an apartment cheap enough for them to be able to afford and still make their car payment.

Earlier today, my boyfriend and I went shopping and bought pots and pans, silverwares, knife set, etc. Then we went to the apartment. When we pulled into the parking lot, the land lord was yelling at the sister and her boyfriend. He was using every profanity imaginable. They hadn't signed the lease yet. At one point, he pointed at us and told them to "get them the f*** out of here". The sister and her boyfriend were just begging the landlord to let them have the place.

As it was happening, we just sat there in our car waiting for them to sign the lease and the landlord to leave. The sister and her boyfriend were clearly scared to death of the land lord.

I remember when I bought my house the real estate agent, the bank rep, the underwriter, and everyone else involved were extremely polite to me and were borderline kissing my behind. After all, me buying the house was profitable for everyone, including me.

The incident with that landlord was a stark reminder (at least to me) that no one wants to be poor. When one is poor, one is at the mercy of others. When I was buying my house, had anyone not treat me politely I would have left and seek out someone else to talk to or another house to buy. I would not have tolerated any such demeanor demonstrated by that landlord.

Was that landlord's demeanor normal for landlords of such places?

This is the kind of behavior my wife and I used to have to put up with from others that we were, inevitably, at the mercy of in regards to housing. We used to pay rent in cash form, well then the landlord starting requiring money orders for her ease of handling. No problem, go to the post office and get a money order and mail it to her, done deal right? Wrong! She called us yelling over the phone, for apparently screwing up the money order somehow...we just hung up on her. We have enough respect for ourselves than to allow someone to speak to us in that manner. She ended up showing up a couple hours later and apologized and I reminded her that its unacceptable to speak to us that way, regardless of her status compared to ours and she apologized again. That was kind of a defining moment in my wife and I lives. At that time we had one child (have 3 now) and we began planning to buy a home. 2 years later we did just that and have looked back on where we came from and how we achieved where we are now. Living WAY below our means has given us the opportunity to save tons of money. We still practice that today.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:15 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,493,896 times
What could you have done?! Are you kidding me? You and your BF could have exited the safety of your vehicle, strolled over to where your sister was being verbally assaulted, and given the landlord the sense of being outnumbered. Neither of you had to say a thing that might put you in harm's way. Had that been my sister, I would have been outta that car in a heartbeat. Just me. I'm a female in my 60s. You had your BF with you, yet you chose to protect yourselves and leave your sister vulnerable. Wow! Just wow! And you think this is about "poor people"? You're wrong. It's about cowardly people.

I'd also offer my sister a place in my new home, regardless of its size.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:25 AM

17,154 posts, read 12,997,703 times
How interesting that having money often increases one's ego, arrogance, selfishness, and haughtiness. If there's one thing OP's yarn has taught me, it's that being poor might actually a better character builder.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:41 AM

9,884 posts, read 11,004,162 times
Yeah, I been poor. To this day, I can not stand turnips or rutabagas. For a while, that's all we had to eat, to go along with our illegally killed venison. Some may find it unbelievable, but we lived in a two room log cabin, with no electricity and no running water. Mother did our laundry in a gas powered Maytag washing machine.
I find it intriguing that very few posters want to know what set the landlord off. While his behavior is inexcusable, I would still be very interested in knowing exactly what the problem was from HIS point of view!
It is quite likely that he settled down and allowed them to sign the lease and move in because he realized he was on VERY shaky ground, legally.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:51 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,444,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
What could you have done?! Are you kidding me? You and your BF could have exited the safety of your vehicle, strolled over to where your sister was being verbally assaulted, and given the landlord the sense of being outnumbered. Neither of you had to say a thing that might put you in harm's way. Had that been my sister, I would have been outta that car in a heartbeat. Just me. I'm a female in my 60s. You had your BF with you, yet you chose to protect yourselves and leave your sister vulnerable. Wow! Just wow! And you think this is about "poor people"? You're wrong. It's about cowardly people.

You've given my something to think about.

I can picture standing with arms folded behind them. I agree. It could have
been effective.

I also can picture being afraid to get involved with a nut...that possibly had a very bad
day and is a loose canon...so NOW what will he do! Go get a bat?

Wisdom/cowardice/having clear boundaries/common sense...fine lines there.

And in the moment sometimes we freeze....the next time we don't.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:31 AM

6,394 posts, read 4,126,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post

What's your address? I'll go tell the LL off right now and we can send my boyfriend's sister and her boyfriend to live with you.

Regarding the boyfriend's sister and her boyfriend, here is the thread where I posted the question about letting them move in with us.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/non-r...-were-out.html

Old 10-20-2015, 11:34 AM

6,394 posts, read 4,126,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
You've given my something to think about.

I can picture standing with arms folded behind them. I agree. It could have
been effective.

I also can picture being afraid to get involved with a nut...that possibly had a very bad
day and is a loose canon...so NOW what will he do! Go get a bat?

Wisdom/cowardice/having clear boundaries/common sense...fine lines there.

And in the moment sometimes we freeze....the next time we don't.
I didn't freeze. I used to be a state trooper. Let's just say people don't scare me.

They really needed that place. That day they signed the lease was also the last day her dad gave them till in his ultimatum.

What's with the dad? He threw my boyfriend out into the streets when he was 15. I stopped trying to understand how they think a long time ago.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:52 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,085,301 times
This thread is is the wrong forum. . .behavioral and poverty issues have nothing to do with Real Estate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate