Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 06:49 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,118,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Good lord please don't bunch us all in the same bucket as that landlord (and I say that with a grimace). EVERY tenant I have and every potential applicant I talk to gets my undivided attention.
THAT guy is a idiot. I can't believe your relatives were still willing to rent the place. I would just walk away. I would want absolutely nothing to do with that kind of LL.
Not all LLs are like that. There are plenty of professional people.

That type might be the LL you find in the bottom of the barrel rentals. I don't think it's the norm as far as LL behavior. Personally I would be very upset. Especially seeing family getting treated like that. So did you say something?
What could I have said?

The boyfriend has a record. They really couldn't find anything else they could afford.

I posted a thread not too long ago asking whether I should let them move in with us. You all said no I should not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 07:01 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,563,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
What could I have said?

The boyfriend has a record. They really couldn't find anything else they could afford.

I posted a thread not too long ago asking whether I should let them move in with us. You all said no I should not.

You could of told the guy he was rude. Actually sorry, your BF should of stepped in. It was his sister ( I misread and thought you said it was your sister) . There is no reason to cuss people out like that. Record or not. I'm not saying they should move in with you.
But yes unfortunately financially struggling people get to deal with that type of LL. When we talk to a tenant or potential person we treat everyone nice. No matter what they look like, or level of finances they have. I may deny them as tenants due to not meeting requirements but I don't have to be a Ahole about it.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 10-18-2015 at 07:24 PM..

Old 10-18-2015, 07:15 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You could of told the guy he was rude. Actually sorry, your BF should of stepped in. It was his sister ( I misread and thought you said it was your sister) . There is no reason to cuss people out like that. Record or not. I'm not saying they should move in with you.
But yes unfortunately financially struggling people get to deal with that type of LL. When we talk to a tenant or potential person we treat everyone nice. No matter what they look like, or level of finances they have. I may deny them as tenants but I don't have to be a Ahole about it.
Ahh yes, involve yourself, and ruin the only chance these two have to rent a place? Nope. OP stayed out of it. Someone with a record has almost no chance of finding a place to rent where I live, thus...they have to tolerate a landlord that may be.....a tad unreasonable.

The OP has it dead on....this is a great example why being poor sucks. If you have enough money-you wont have a record even if you do the same crime. If you DO have a record, and money...then this isn't a problem for you.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:19 PM

6,770 posts, read 5,494,467 times
Quote:
What could I have said?

I agree your first post was a bit misleading as to your intentions.
You ARE right, if you have the money and wherewithall, you can solve a living situation. So called "privilege" has its, well, privileges.

Hmm...is it/was it the record or the low income that caused this situation? Or both?

I have said before people DO make mistakes and if they paid their time and are "free and clear" they shouldn't be judged by that one thing.
I know someone who has a grand theft auto on his record and is still paying a heavy price for a youthful indiscretion and bad choice some 18 years later. he has had a clean record since, but is still denied access to his children, for example, and has a hard time finding employment when laid off after summer season, due to his record.

If the boyfriend's record is current or he is still serving time on parole or probation, I can understand I guess.

While no one deserves to be cursed out, I also know some LLs who have had it take 6 months to get a non-payer out! SO I can understand his reluctance. first and last doesn't cover the other 4+ months they don't pay.

But I agree if you asked before, unless they are truly homeless {under a bridge}, DON'T Allow them to live with you!

Last edited by galaxyhi; 10-18-2015 at 07:39 PM..

Old 10-18-2015, 07:43 PM

914 posts, read 1,139,051 times
Honestly, I wouldn't call this a problem of being poor, but of someone making really bad choices in life that will affect their future. My 48 year old SIL has the absolute worst credit in the world, and lives with her enabling mother for free. Bad choices in life put her in this situation. She would have it very hard getting a rental, even though she gets a decent salary and is not "poor." I can see a landlord discriminating against her as well, although screaming profanities is an entirely different thing. I can understand frustrated landlords though.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:47 PM

22,234 posts, read 19,245,773 times
Quote:
The incident with that landlord was a stark reminder (at least to me) that no one wants to be poor. When one is poor, one is at the mercy of others. When I was buying my house, had anyone not treat me politely I would have left and seek out someone else to talk to or another house to buy.
it is not correct to think that "money" and "owning a home" keep you safe and protected
and that people who rent are "poor" and "vulnerable" and "at the mercy of others"

and that a person must have money to be treated well, that is not correct. it's kind of snobby actually, and condescending. I grew up in a household like that where we were taught homeowners are far superior to those who rent. There was a lot of shaming and arrogance and condescension involved.

the character traits that determine a person's quality such as respect, integrity, kindness, humbleness, dignity, those have nothing to do with money. to equate money with respect and superiority is.....flawed. the opening post sounds smug.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
it is not correct to think that "money" and "owning a home" keep you safe and protected
and that people who rent are "poor" and "vulnerable" and "at the mercy of others"

and that a person must have money to be treated well, that is not correct. it's kind of snobby actually, and condescending. I grew up in a household like that where we were taught homeowners are far superior to those who rent. There was a lot of shaming and arrogance and condescension involved.

the character traits that determine a person's quality are respect, integrity, kindness, humbleness, dignity.
and those have nothing to do with money. to equate money with respect and superiority is.....flawed
English might be my 2nd language, but I could have sworn I never said superiority. Are you a fiction writer by any chance? With your imagination, you could be the next best seller.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:54 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
English might be my 2nd language, but I could have sworn I never said superiority.
He didn't imagine it. You may not have said it, but you certainly implied it.

When you wrote, "When one is poor, one is at the mercy of others...."

... it implies that when one is rich, one is NOT at the mercy of others which 1) is not always true and 2) is supremely condescending.

The cycle of poverty can be very difficult to break out of, and patting yourself on the back for being fortunate is nothing to crow about.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:04 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,630,169 times
When I read the opening post I couldn't figure out why they were being yelled at until I read more of the comments. Still not completely sure. Is it that they didn't disclose to the land lord that he had a record? I feel for the landlord in this situation because I think it would be hard to own rentals, but I don't see how screaming obscenities at them helps. He doesn't sound too bright either. Now these people that he's treated like crap are going to live his property.

I think the issue is having a record and making bad decisions. That kind of stuff keeps you poor.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
He didn't imagine it. You may not have said it, but you certainly implied it.

When you wrote, "When one is poor, one is at the mercy of others...."

... it implies that when one is rich, one is NOT at the mercy of others which 1) is not always true and 2) is supremely condescending.

The cycle of poverty can be very difficult to break out of, and patting yourself on the back for being fortunate is nothing to crow about.
Bolded mine.

You have a very active imagination considering I never patted myself in the back.

Has it occurred to you that I came from extreme poverty? When I was little, there were times when my parents told me to sleep all day because there was nothing to eat that day.

Political correctness aside, you are at the mercy of others when you are poor. It's not me patting myself on the back. It's reality.

My boyfriend's sister and her boyfriend took it despite being yelled at by that land lord because they were being kicked out by her dad and this was the only place they could find that they could afford.

Quote:
Well, when one is not poor, one has the option to walk away from such verbal abuse and find another place. Wouldn't you agree? One doesn't need to be rich. I'm certainly not rich.

Ok, why don't you do an experiment for us to prove me wrong. Go do something to get a criminal record. Quit your job and spend all your savings. A year from now, come back and tell us how well you are doing despite having a record and no savings at all.

Added by edit.

You Americans don't know poverty until you watch your baby slowly starve to death and the only way to eat is to pick up food from the ground where others have tossed them. Just sayin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate