Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 03:33 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,055,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Yeah, I know what you mean.

I'm all for a social safety net. Worker's rights. War as a LAST resort. I can even get on board with SOME environmentalism these days (which is heresy in the redneck culture where I grew up). But this social-justice-warrior politics where commonly observed and verifiable FACTS are somehow unthinkable and subject to retaliation because it makes them uncomfortable? That's ****ing crazy and they deserve to be ridiculed.
I consider myself 51% conservative, 49% liberal. I often see merit in both sides of issues, and see where each side is coming from.

Oddly I see the Social-Justice-Warriors are more damaging than some poor uneducated backwoods redneck. At least rednecks keep to themselves, are generally good honest people, and take care of their families.

SJW's on the other hand want to invade MY personal space, dictate where I'm allowed to live, how I live, and not only that dictate who they want ME to pay for to move in right next door to me while the movers-inners don't have to work or pay their own way.

Why should I spend, say, a quarter million dollars on a modest house in the mid-atlantic here, when someone who's made nothing but bad personal decisions in life gets to live next door for free. Not only that but they're making money for the landlord who actually owns the property. That money comes form my taxes. So in essence with programs like these I'm paying my neighbor's mortgage in addition to my own in exchange for worse quality of life.

SJW's are always quick to want to improve the lives of the "disadvantaged", and that's fine: go to a food bank and feed people like conservative Christians do, go volunteer for Habitat for a day, etc. But what SJW's are not so quick to consider is the lives of the people who are paying for their so-called social "justice" or how it affects people in communities who may have worked hard to achieve their wealth and who may have chosen a neighborhood specifically to avoid the problems caused by the very people the SJW's wish to help.

Relocating morons isn't going to make morons into geniuses, it isn't going to teach them to save money for a rainy day, it isn't going to teach them to behave in a civilized society, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 03:44 PM

6,403 posts, read 4,135,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
You are very unreasonable. Did it ever occur to you that you could have intervened without escalating this situation. Why do you assume it would only go one way,? It sounds like none of you know how to handle people.
And yet everything worked out didn't it? They got the super cheap apartment they needed.

Why do you assume they needed a hero? They were at the last day of their line. The dad gave them an ultimatum to move out or be kicked out. And that day was the last day.

Like I said before, if you are so righteous, why don't you open up your home to them? Just give me your address and I will go and tell that LL to go off himself right away.

We were all on that LL's property. The boyfriend of that girl was negotiating back and forth with that LL. And it worked out no matter how they got there.

You seem like a very righteous person. When I grow up, I want to be just like you, putting my nose in everyone's affair.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:25 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,886,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I own my own house. My boyfriend lives with me. We are quite happy being king and king of our own castle. We decorate the house and do whatever we want with it. He and I have knocked down a couple walls to redo a couple of the rooms in this house. So, that's the background.

His sister and her boyfriend are finally moving out of her parents' apartment. They managed to find an apartment cheap enough for them to be able to afford and still make their car payment.

Earlier today, my boyfriend and I went shopping and bought pots and pans, silverwares, knife set, etc. Then we went to the apartment. When we pulled into the parking lot, the land lord was yelling at the sister and her boyfriend. He was using every profanity imaginable. They hadn't signed the lease yet. At one point, he pointed at us and told them to "get them the f*** out of here". The sister and her boyfriend were just begging the landlord to let them have the place.

As it was happening, we just sat there in our car waiting for them to sign the lease and the landlord to leave. The sister and her boyfriend were clearly scared to death of the land lord.

I remember when I bought my house the real estate agent, the bank rep, the underwriter, and everyone else involved were extremely polite to me and were borderline kissing my behind. After all, me buying the house was profitable for everyone, including me.

The incident with that landlord was a stark reminder (at least to me) that no one wants to be poor. When one is poor, one is at the mercy of others. When I was buying my house, had anyone not treat me politely I would have left and seek out someone else to talk to or another house to buy. I would not have tolerated any such demeanor demonstrated by that landlord.

Was that landlord's demeanor normal for landlords of such places?

All landlords aren't like that, and rudeness isn't directed solely to the poor. Ask anyone who's shopped for "stuff," and I'm sure more than a few could relate stories to you about surly salespeople.

There are rude jerks in every profession.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:08 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,808,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jake Oil View Post
This thread is basically summed up by:

OP: "I didn't realize how privileged I am until I saw X."

Comments: "F you and your privilege!"

Really people?
Yeah.....that about sums it up

Old 10-21-2015, 09:37 PM

259 posts, read 523,475 times
Yeah so, I read the first 3-4 pages, then skipped and read the last 2 pages. I thought someone would've posted what I was thinking (maybe they did in the pages I skipped?).

Anyway, this isn't an argument of being poor. I mean, as a teen and when in college I considered myself "poor" monetarily; but looking back I probably was moreso lower-middle class. I see this as more of a self-esteem issue than anything.

Even now, with my salary, education, upbringing, etc. most would consider me middle/slightly above middle class, and there's no way I'd accept that sort of language from a landlord, or anyone, actually. Even when I was young and "poor" my tolerance for disrespectful people was ridiculously low (still is). Actually I don't even accept disrespect from any authority figures - police, bosses, professors, the list goes on. I've definitely been known to walk away from someone, find another job *very* shortly after I had an "encounter", retort assertively, etc. I honestly, don't take well to people who talk to me like I'm crap.

I've always been this way, and will probably always be this way. It's just ingrained in me. I mean, growing up in a tough city - Chicago, not the burbs, but the city - might have had a part in this, but I think most of it is just my own personal confidence and feelings of self-worth. I've always thought myself to be a person of quality, so if a person doesn't treat me how I feel about myself, there's a problem. And I will let that person know there's a problem. Either by cutting them out my life, expressing it verbally, or acting out (as a crazy hormonal teenager :-P).

Point is, if your SO's sis and her boyfriend had a certain amount of confidence, there's no way they'd accepted a stranger cussing them out like that. Like, no way, anyone who had even an average amount of confidence (no matter how rich or poor they were) would let a stranger treat them that way. I mean, when I was 16, I even went as far as living in a homeless shelter over Thanksgiving weekend because my mom and step dad yelled at me over (what I thought at that time; certainly not now lol) something minute. In my opinion, they were disrespectful to me, so I was "out".

I tend to react to things in a more mature fashion now, but I'm *never* at the mercy of anyone. I don't care if I lost my job and money tomorrow, I'm always going to expect, and give, respect to people. That side of me will never change.

TL;DR version: Your bf's sibling, and their mate, has low self-esteem based on their experiences in life; not cause of money.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:42 PM

6,612 posts, read 3,692,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 View Post
I wouldn't stand there and let my brother be yelled at, weather he was poor or rich.

I would stop the conversation, and ask the landlord to take a step back and breathe, so we can start over, and all talk to each other with respect.
Um..none of us even know of the actual incident, just going by the picture painted for us. We don't know what was said or done to have the man react in such a way.. not saying he was proper in doing so. They might have both been in the wrong and maybe it could have gone differently. We also do not know really what goes on with the sister and boyfriend, whether what kind of record and background he has and why they were kicked out of where they were staying. If they are able to stay in this place, maybe they will have a chance at getting ahead - I realize that some are just in need of a chance - yet having a baby to add to their problems.

I don't understand why it was not divulged to family as to what erupted though, which means it is something they are hiding. The bottom line is, we don't know really what is going on and cannot be there to assess the actual situation. Just another anonymous story by a stranger, about other strangers, being interpreted by many.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:48 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,946,468 times
Quote:
My apologies that it came out that way.

What I'm trying to say is yes I do count my blessings. No one should endure getting yelled at by the land lord. Everyone should be treated with respect and professionalism. Unfortunately, that's not the way the world works, as is demonstrated by that land lord.
From my reading, it did not come out that way. Your point was well taken and well expressed.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:30 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,043,343 times
Quote:
Boyfriend and I talked about it while we were sitting in the car. Our guess is there were plenty of people waiting in line to get that place. Also, the landlord was being tough and asserted his authority because he has to deal with deadbeats and whatnot.
Um, no...

I'm a landlord and yes, you do have to deal with people and their problems, but you that doesn't mean you take your frustrations out on somebody else. That applies to ALL relationships too btw.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:47 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,814,732 times
Quote:
You seem like a very righteous person. When I grow up, I want to be just like you, putting my nose in everyone's affair.
You know, I was on your side in the beginning. Your original post did come off as condescending and entitled, but I understood what you were saying.

However, some of your comments since (like the above) have been ridiculous. I believe what mochamajesty is trying to say is that it's in most people's nature to want to defend someone they care about - the fact that your boyfriend did not defend his sister is somewhat odd, no matter what was being said or the circumstance.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:58 AM

6,403 posts, read 4,135,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
You know, I was on your side in the beginning. Your original post did come off as condescending and entitled, but I understood what you were saying.

However, some of your comments since (like the above) have been ridiculous. I believe what mochamajesty is trying to say is that it's in most people's nature to want to defend someone they care about - the fact that your boyfriend did not defend his sister is somewhat odd, no matter what was being said or the circumstance.
Here is the thread where I revealed some more stuff about that family.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/non-r...-were-out.html

By the way, the sister is now pregnant.

That being said, if you think we should have interfered, by all means give me your address and I will send those 2 off your way. And in 9 months, it will be 3.

Put your money where your mouth is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate