Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 02:30 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times

Advertisements

$2 million is a high price to pay for a chunk of sand with no amenities like water,septic or electricity.
I'd say you or your agent have to really highlight the potentials of the island first being its zoning parameters for construction as if you cant build on it i'd say your asking price is a bit high.

PS. Is the dog on the island or is that the island across the water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 06:33 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,792,041 times
Any more photos?

I say keep it priced high if you're not in a rush....properties marketed high end will eventually attract a unique (rich) buyer that will not be price sensitive (I like the intl marketing idea; also there are high end real estate in papers like NY Times and also back of publications like Island Magazine, Conde Nast Traveler etc -- go to a library or bookstore in a high end beach town and check out these publications).

Old 11-24-2015, 06:56 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
Umm I was the lawyer representing myself. Both sides signed and filed a Settlement Agreement and they deeded over land to me. In Texas there is at most 30 days to file a Motion for a New Trial. That period has passed. Its a long and interesting story - I put the person on the other side in prison twice during the 9 year period. He may be an honest guy now. There was a 3rd person in part of the case. At the last settlement conference their attorney said "We have spent $360,000 on this so far" I said "Yes I hear you, I've spent over $900 myself" I think they got the point.
That may be, but I still wouldn't touch it. Land once contested may well be contested again. Maybe by the same guy on another basis. Maybe by another guy. I'm not a lawyer and I wouldn't have the advantage of defending at minimal cost like you. It would have cost me $360,000 not $900. I'm not in the market but if I was your comments above would scare me off not reassure me.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:33 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,411,513 times
Wow this is a thing. My cousin has an island, and he has no clue how to sell it either. I'd have thought that there would be tons of rich people looking for their own islands...

If I had to sell one I'd get a real estate attorney to see what is legally involved, and then put up ads. Advertise in expensive places and send ads to rich people's homes. LOL I'm sure they'd love that, but I can't imagine who else wants an island.

Then make it easy for people to buy by having contracts ready to be reviewed and dates set up to show the island to prospective buyers. It must be way harder than it sounds, though I guess...

Old 11-24-2015, 11:30 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,118,890 times
My suggestion would be to hire a top end, luxury real estate company.

They will know exactly how and WHO to market this island to.

I don't know which part of Texas you are the brokerage will know.

This is not something to try and handle yourself. You'll lose money in the process.

Old 11-24-2015, 05:52 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,662,183 times
A quick google search came up with the listings you have tried and I read you offering 3% commission to other brokers. Typically its 10% for raw land. Getting anyone to lift a finger to will be tough at 3%. And because its not listed with a real estate agent, I'm sure anyone that inquires about the property is told "you don't want that property" Its simply the game of realtors vs fsbo. Without a contract, its unlikely any realtor with work with you.

So..... be a cheapskate and sit on it forever hoping for unicorns and rainbows, or hire a real estate company to market it, sell it, etc.

Last edited by 399083453; 11-24-2015 at 06:05 PM..

Old 11-24-2015, 07:19 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,527,568 times
Brokers in Texas ask 6% for exclusive whether its land or houses , and want 3% for finding a buyer.

Oceanguia I know enough law on this -been practicing 35 years. I explained it well enough for most except yourself. Its very hard to have an appeal in Texas if you don't file a Motion for a New Trial first and that time is done. As you said -- you're not a lawyer... that sums it up.

The dog (Shasharoosticus) is on the land looking across at the island. Not for sale.

I think I'll try one of those island specialty sites or both. I've written the two one seems excited the other hasn't responded. Its located in Germany.

Keep coming with the ideas..

Old 11-24-2015, 07:32 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Quote:
Oceanguia I know enough law on this -been practicing 35 years. I explained it well enough for most except yourself. Its very hard to have an appeal in Texas if you don't file a Motion for a New Trial first and that time is done. As you said -- you're not a lawyer... that sums it up.
You totally missed the point. It's likely that your buyer won't be either. They will be seeing as I do, not as you do. It's not about what you know.

It's like buying a car that's been in a major accident. A lot of buyers won't do it at all and others will expect a big discount for it. It doesn't matter squat that the seller is an ace body shop mechanic and knows 100% that the car has been repaired to perfect condition.

Old 11-25-2015, 06:05 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,118,890 times
Quote:
Brokers in Texas ask 6% for exclusive whether its land or houses , and want 3% for finding a buyer.

The dog (Shasharoosticus) is on the land looking across at the island. Not for sale.

I think I'll try one of those island specialty sites or both. I've written the two one seems excited the other hasn't responded. Its located in Germany.

Keep coming with the ideas..

I think you are missing the point completely.

Do you really want to hire a company in Germany to sell a piece of land in Texas?

Talk to some luxury firms in Dallas or Houston. They already deal with international buyers.

I think you are stepping over dollars to save pennies.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:44 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,527,568 times
Oceanguia - a title insurance company will take care of concerns. Many pieces of land have had lawsuits in the past- the files are pretty clear. no lis pendens etc

blueherons - the site private islands is not about Germany its international. For $350 I can get a listing -- I am not convinced to use them for agents. Maybe there is a DFW - Houston Firm that can do this -- havent heard from any so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate