Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 09:34 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,528,127 times

Advertisements

I have an 18 acre island off the Texas Coast . Most real estate buyers are looking for a home, maybe a commercial building or a lot. An island is something else and it probably isn't on many people's shopping list. On the other hand it doesn't have to be there aren't many for sale.

I tried Loop Net -Platinum very expensive and it got lots of looks but no inquires.

Today I found two sites that specialize in islands but they were mainly based in Europe. Vladi Private Islands and Private islands online. I went through their listings and lots in Canada and quite a few in Florida but NONE for sale in Texas.WOW! This is off Rockport Texas one of those small fishing, birding and artist towns that is often in those "Top 20 small towns" lists.

What ideas do you have for marketing this? ( Dog in photo would not be for sale -even if she got into the garbage yesterday)
Attached Thumbnails
How do I  sell my 18 acre  island?-smalliest-island.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 09:43 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,166,029 times
What is your asking price?

Old 11-22-2015, 10:00 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,528,127 times
$1,950,000 for the island and the ten acres. I was offered that before the recession but there were some legal issues.

I look at comparable islands -- if there is such a thing and perhaps my price was too low.

Part of the problem may be that I was in a lawsuit over this land for 9 years while the person I sued went to prison twice. It was all settled a month ago -free and clear, however the local paper does not report suits and I have moved away. Many may think this is still tied up in nasty litigation, but its not.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:22 AM

6,823 posts, read 11,556,490 times
How do you sell an island? Find a guy with a boat. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:00 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,998,603 times
There is/was a program on HGTV......Island Paradise.. or something like that. Anyway, this fellow specialized in selling islands. There were some shows filmed in the US, but I believe he is Canadian.

I found something: privateislandsonlinedotcom Even has a link to the show.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:04 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,750,371 times
If it is an 18 acre island but there are only 10 acres, what happened to the other 8? Are those underwater? Just curious...

Anyway, have you talked to any brokers in Texas that specialize is high end unique properties? I'm assuming that there must be a few.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:47 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,268,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
I have an 18 acre island off the Texas Coast . Most real estate buyers are looking for a home, maybe a commercial building or a lot. An island is something else and it probably isn't on many people's shopping list. On the other hand it doesn't have to be there aren't many for sale.

I tried Loop Net -Platinum very expensive and it got lots of looks but no inquires.

Today I found two sites that specialize in islands but they were mainly based in Europe. Vladi Private Islands and Private islands online. I went through their listings and lots in Canada and quite a few in Florida but NONE for sale in Texas.WOW! This is off Rockport Texas one of those small fishing, birding and artist towns that is often in those "Top 20 small towns" lists.

What ideas do you have for marketing this? ( Dog in photo would not be for sale -even if she got into the garbage yesterday)
Lands of Texas. Syndicate to Lands of America...done and done.

Its the only way to sell land in Texas.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:13 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,662,183 times
Quote:
First... you need to let the world know its for sale. You haven't done that yet... Loopnet is limited.

MLS listed seems like a minimum requirement. Next, look at other sites such as loopnet and land listings.

For such a unique property it may take years for a buyer to find you. But they wont find you if they cant find your listing. Keep it for sale. Never take the listing down for a long period of time.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:24 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,977,625 times
Quote:
I have an 18 acre island off the Texas Coast .
Well, you already tried Craigslist. I saw the photos.

There's no fresh water on the island, am I understanding this correctly?

Old 11-23-2015, 10:45 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,628,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
There is/was a program on HGTV......Island Paradise.. or something like that. Anyway, this fellow specialized in selling islands. There were some shows filmed in the US, but I believe he is Canadian.

I found something: privateislandsonlinedotcom Even has a link to the show.
Island Hunters, a play on their popular House Hunters shows. Just watched it last night. A developer from Canada, Robert Hay, and after that a show started around the Phillipines but we didn't continue to watch.

Interesting the variety of prices and people's tastes according to plumbing and electricity and woods or rock or not and accessibility to the mainland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate