Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2015, 06:49 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,420,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
If the property is unique you can simply find another property like it somewhere else in the nation and compare 2 cookie cutter houses in those two markets to get the multiplyer and there you go.
That sounds like a great idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 12:55 PM

15,583 posts, read 40,455,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Yea becasue $500 to post an ad is the same thing as free

Also $10,000 is the same as $500 right. Let the people who actually OWN the MLS decide these things, just because you pay dues/rights to the MLS does not make you the site owner.

The intellectual dishonesty is deep with realtors they just dont get it.
Actually, agents do own the MLS. That is how it works. Every single brokerage has an owner's share in the MLS.

You know how with LLC's that every member is a part owner? That is the same model for the MLS except it is called a co-op. Every member (AKA brokerage) is a part-owner of the MLS. So there is no intellectual dishonesty. You just don't understand what it really is. We don't pay for the site. We own the site collectively. We, as owners, pay for the staff, have meetings, have a board of directors, and vote on everything.

Old 12-27-2015, 06:54 AM

59 posts, read 85,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TosaJoe View Post
Me thinks the OP was just trolling when he started this topic as his mind was already made up.
Actually I was curious if the buyer's agent commission is 1% would real estate agents not show the property. From the answers the feedback is that while the real estate agent may grumble; he/she would still have to show the property when the client requests a showing.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:29 AM

89 posts, read 116,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GocubsGo15 View Post
Actually I was curious if the buyer's agent commission is 1% would real estate agents not show the property. From the answers the feedback is that while the real estate agent may grumble; he/she would still have to show the property when the client requests a showing.
Guess you'll find out.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:02 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,750,695 times
Quote:
Did you read the same thread I just did? Good luck with selling the house, it sounds like you are going to need it, and no I am not a Realtor but have worked in the real estate industry off and on for decades.

Old 12-27-2015, 06:07 PM

6,486 posts, read 10,363,068 times
Quote:
From the answers the feedback is that while the real estate agent may grumble; he/she would still have to show the property when the client requests a showing.
Funny, I read the same thread and didn't get the same impression. My comment earlier was that I wouldn't show it myself, only refer it to another realtor.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:43 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,119,173 times
It sounds awfully similar to someone owning common stock in a company. Just because I own some stock does not mean that I get to dictate in any sort of meaningful manner how the company is ran. If I owned enough stock I might get a vote but that does not mean I am sitting in a throne dictating which is how some of the realtors on here act.

If a brokerage that is "part owner" wants to post homes for a flat fee they can. Sure you can put in your anti competitive vote so that the company is at risk of anti trust but why would they risk their company because you want to corner the market to artificially preserve your bill rate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Actually, agents do own the MLS. That is how it works. Every single brokerage has an owner's share in the MLS.

You know how with LLC's that every member is a part owner? That is the same model for the MLS except it is called a co-op. Every member (AKA brokerage) is a part-owner of the MLS. So there is no intellectual dishonesty. You just don't understand what it really is. We don't pay for the site. We own the site collectively. We, as owners, pay for the staff, have meetings, have a board of directors, and vote on everything.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:46 AM

If they dident they may run afoul of anti trust and anti competitive behavior. If it happens once or twice no one will notice but if a brokerage starts making a habit of it and people notice and can document it then they are putting their business at risk.

There is a reason anti trust was created, to prevent this very sort of anti competitive behavior.

Quote:

Old 12-28-2015, 01:22 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,774,511 times
Quote:
If the property is unique you can simply find another property like it somewhere else in the nation and compare 2 cookie cutter houses in those two markets to get the multiplyer and there you go.
All real estate is local, not national. You cannot compare homes located in different areas of the country, when trying to put a value on one. It just does not work that way. Different features as an example will be valued differently in different areas of the country. One area they will be a hot item raising the value of the home, and in another you could hardly give it away.

Quote:
Just because they show it, does not mean they will show it in a way that will sell it. There are different ways to show a property. Some will sell it, and others will kill the sale prospects, and the buyer will not know the difference. There is no such thing as a property without faults, that can turn off a buyer. And for a 1% commission, the buyers are going to be made aware of every one the property has.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:27 PM

This is one of the many reasons there is a distrust of realtors. your intellectual honesty should be independent of money. When I read posts like this I have to wonder if the majority of buyers are just dense dolts who wander around with drwel dripping out of there mouths, can they seriously not see the issues themselves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
All real estate is local, not national. You cannot compare homes located in different areas of the country, when trying to put a value on one. It just does not work that way. Different features as an example will be valued differently in different areas of the country. One area they will be a hot item raising the value of the home, and in another you could hardly give it away.

Just because they show it, does not mean they will show it in a way that will sell it. There are different ways to show a property. Some will sell it, and others will kill the sale prospects, and the buyer will not know the difference. There is no such thing as a property without faults, that can turn off a buyer. And for a 1% commission, the buyers are going to be made aware of every one the property has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate