Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 11:13 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,627,552 times

Advertisements

As you say, asking permission is required by your lease.

How about any HOA restrictions/requirements?

It may be time to not be angry about it, but smart, in that it's time for a periodic walk around and walk thru at the house. That light might be their only addition. But who knows. They may get creative all over. Better to be safe than sorry.

Keep in mind with all these security measures...yours and now theirs...they may have a reason for it and may be prepared for any breaches of the perimeter. So to speak. So give them some polite notice by phone or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 01:09 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,072,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post

It may be time to not be angry about it, but smart, in that it's time for a periodic walk around and walk thru at the house. That light might be their only addition. But who knows. They may get creative all over. Better to be safe than sorry.

Keep in mind with all these security measures...yours and now theirs...they may have a reason for it and may be prepared for any breaches of the perimeter. So to speak. So give them some polite notice by phone or something.
Agree with Cully.

Old 01-30-2016, 01:38 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,254,134 times
One possibility would be to ask them to increase their deposit to cover the cost of repairs if any are needed when the security camera is removed. But I personally wouldn't even do that. Having tenants who pay their rent on time and stay a long time is very valuable. Each new tenant is a risk. The longer you can avoid the risk of the next tenants, the better. Your present tenants might stay years, and when they move, your next tenants might seem like a nightmare compared to them.

Old 01-30-2016, 02:02 PM

11,556 posts, read 53,199,057 times
I'd leave the matter alone at this time. Your tenant has their reasons for wanting this security measure, and their peace of mind is worth a lot to their occupancy.

Essentially, whatever "damage" to your physical property is already done, and your lease has provisions for you to recover if needed at the end of the leasehold.

So, for the duration of their tenancy, the question is do you want to create a hostile environment with your tenant? What's your real cost and upside/downside to that?

IMO, one needs to pick their conflicts with tenants very carefully. Some issues can be turned into a major confrontation which is counter-productive to your needs. Some justify their costs and prospective losses ... some justify eviction. Does this rise to any such level? Unless the house is on the market for sale, your concerns about staging it are unfounded for now.

Old 01-30-2016, 02:03 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post

We have had tenants who wanted to install a security system (they were jewelers and kept valuable items on the property). As was required in the lease, they asked permission to do so and we had no problem approving it, on the condition that the system be removed at the end of the lease. Well, PART of the system was removed - there were wires and a box left that we had to deal with. We've had tenants ask to paint and be given permission, and we've had tenants just decide to paint, never mind what was in the lease. Guess which ones made the worst color choices and did the worst job of painting? Yep, the ones who didn't ask. We now have a clause that says if the tenants want the colors of the walls changed, let us know and we'll have it done, but no painting themselves.

A lease is a business contract, that's all. Both parties have agreed to certain things in writing and have signed off on them and if they want those things changed, they don't get to do so by fiat.

Everyone here seems to be concerned about not ticking the tenants off, but no one seems to have noticed that the tenants had no problem taking the risk of ticking the landlord off.

Old 01-30-2016, 02:18 PM

8,676 posts, read 22,927,256 times
I must say, while your lease required advance permission, I agree with the majority and would not pick this battle. I also think a random inspection, again, within your right, is an intrusion on someone's home. I would wait until you had a reason to be there, whether it be to meet a plumber for an estimate on something or meeting someone for routine maintenance, and do provide some kind of notice. I know you can show up anytime you like, but without notice is just creepy. Tell them you want to check for any addition issues requiring maintenance.

Personally, I would be greatful it's a security camera (did you call you agent about an insurance discount). As someone said matched paint (and buying the match in small quantities) has become ridiculously easy and I'm certain the earnest money will cover it. If this is your only issue with the tenant, count your lucky stars.

Old 01-30-2016, 02:22 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,661,041 times
Yep, damage is already done. Take it from their security deposit when they leave.

Old 01-30-2016, 02:26 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,493,317 times
OP: The damage has been done already.

Here, where I live If a tenant affixes an item to the physical property, it becomes part of the property of the landlord {light security system, etc}

Check with an attorney in your area who specializes in LL/tenant issues, and find out. Then you can notify the tenant they must leave the new addition, or as noted, increase their security deposit to cover costs of removal.

In either case, firmly notify them via "nail & Mail" {affix to the door {nail} and certify/return receipt requested mail them notice} that you have noted the change they made to the property, and take your action, even if it is eviction.

Have your attorney go over EVERY eventuality and design it to be iron clad, to include in next lease either with them or other tenants.

I used to work for a LL/T attorney.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:52 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
I think it was pretty bold of them to do that without asking you first, and I would be upset too. If they are doing this thing, what else are they going to assume is ok to do to YOUR property.

Whenever I have rented homes in my life I realized I did not own the home and had to ask permission to do certain things, even painting inside. Those were not my personal property to do with as I pleased.

I would have a talk with them and at least advise them no more alterations to YOUR home without asking first. Gotta nip this one in the bud or you will have a tenant from Hell on your hands down the road.

Don

Old 01-30-2016, 04:59 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,662,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I think it was pretty bold of them to do that without asking you first, and I would be upset too. If they are doing this thing, what else are they going to assume is ok to do to YOUR property.

Whenever I have rented homes in my life I realized I did not own the home and had to ask permission to do certain things, even painting inside. Those were not my personal property to do with as I pleased.

I would have a talk with them and at least advise them no more alterations to YOUR home without asking first. Gotta nip this one in the bud or you will have a tenant from Hell on your hands down the road.

Don
I agree with this. I wonder what other changes they made that you can't see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate