Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 05:26 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,011,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Yesterday I drove by and there is a fixture that may be a light or security camera mounted over the garage -- clearly visible from the street -- attached to the house.
Absolutely Not Reasonable To Ask For The Removal

Why, because you have no idea what it is, how it's mounted or if it even caused any damages. You are guessing. Your concern doesn't really seem to be over damages but (by your own words), more to do with if it changes the value of the neighborhood by it's presence.

Until you know for sure it;s something that has caused damage and is an actual attached fixture, you run a greater risk of doing something wrong causing the tenants to have a claim against you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 06:29 PM

402 posts, read 977,076 times
You as the owner can request they move it or if your lease requires they ask you before mounting it, or changing fixtures or repainting etc., notify them in writing that you have noticed this and in the future request they ask you before making changes to the premises. if you just let it slide, it is giving them unwritten permission to do whatever they want.

My landlord and I get along extremely well and I have been here 18 years, but from day one I always asked to do what I was doing (new lighting, faucets, repainting etc., with the caveat that the new lighting can come with me if/when I ever vacate if I choose and I return the apartment to a move in condition or I leave in what I have done.

They have always let me do things, but for legal purposes it is all on the lease each year, or addendums are added.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:34 PM

41,974 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Did you provide adequate light and/or security? Perhaps you should think about why the tenants took things into their own hands.

I'd calm down if I were you. The tenants improved your property at their own expense. You should be happy.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:44 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
There is a secondary issue, as I see it........liability. You have no idea how well it was installed, and, if something goes wrong, and you knew it was there and did nothing about it, possibly you will be on the hook too. What if it doesn't meet code or causes a fire ? I would tell them we are going to get a licensed electrician out there asap at their expense, to make sure it wasn't installed badly. Then I would go from there.

Some people on here are making you out to be the bad guy, but all you did was rent a home to someone in good faith, and it is they who caused this issue. People tend to hate landlords, until they need a roof over their heads !

Don

Old 01-30-2016, 06:58 PM

412 posts, read 451,965 times
The security camera is now your property, in most jurisdictions. If they take it when they leave, they will be guilty of theft, again in most jurisdictions.

Your problem is how to deal with the situation without creating a hostile environment for either you or your tenants.

One approach might be calling the tenants and asking them if there was a specific reason they installed the camera. State that you are concerned that there might be some security issue that you are unaware of and ask them to enlighten you. The object of your call is of course to gain information. How you take it from there is up to you.

FWIW, I have been both tenant and landlord. I did not like being either one.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:16 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,359,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Did you provide adequate light and/or security? Perhaps you should think about why the tenants took things into their own hands.

I'd calm down if I were you. The tenants improved your property at their own expense. You should be happy.
Yes plenty of lighting!

Old 01-30-2016, 07:37 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,308,240 times
They probably converted your entire rental into a massive marijuana grow operation and the security cameras are to protect the grow op from neighboring cartels.... Just saying .

The very obvious CCTV type giant security cameras that look like an old school camcorder are extremely hideous. It doesn't sound like the OP is describing a sleek under eave dome type camera.

I'd also be worried about the DIY wiring job, maybe it's wireless but who knows?

It may also end up to be one of the fake gaudy looking ones used to deter thieves.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:34 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,275,892 times
I was a land lord for 30 years.. Pick your battles better... Have you got a security deposit? If so say NOTHING .. Do LOOK to have confrontations with tenants ..

Old 01-31-2016, 12:04 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,526,250 times
I like the suggestion by RestArea. Just ask what it is in a concerned way that implies you want to make sure they were not having any problems with crime. Then mention that in the future to please ask before they mount anything or modify the property. You can tell them that for liability issues/property value you need them to check with you first.

If it is something electrical, I'd ask for electricians name, to be sure it was done properly and not a fire hazard.

Old 01-31-2016, 02:03 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,633,276 times
"Hey, I noticed that you've mounted what seems to be sort of security system on the front of the house. I'm concerned because I thought the lease makes it clear that this isn't allowed. I was wondering what's going on."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate